Options

Smooth National Radio Thread

Comments

• Options
    BorsantBorsant Posts: 1,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wckartist wrote: »
    Yep, spot on matey, glad someone is honest about it....

Must have slipped Smartyboys mind:p:p

Basically, we wont play new songs , but we'll make an exception for acts we have an interest in, even if it doesn't fit the "brand"!!

So you think Smooth has a business connection to Michael Buble and George Michael? - as far as I'm aware their singles are the only new tracks on the playlist.
  • Options
    wckartistwckartist Posts: 1,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Borsant wrote: »
    So you think Smooth has a business connection to Michael Buble and George Michael? - as far as I'm aware their singles are the only new tracks on the playlist.
    You know what I meant, funny only Jon has had the guts and honesty to admit it!

Has SP given you tips on "spin";-):D:D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see you spinning away from my challenge :):):)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    Just discovered this thread. Interesting. I live in the N East and used to listen to Smooth a lot, but in recent months it has become dreadful, recycling the same old songs over and over and never playing any new stuff. I have now switched to Magic.
  • Options
    suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes this is globals way of making great radio. Err dont think so its truly awful and basicly smooth gold.
  • Options
    soul_girlsoul_girl Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    I've been reading some of the posts on this thread since the changes at Smooth. It does seem like there are two types of listener; the type that just has radio on as background/wallpaper who aren't bothered about who's presenting and the lack of variety of music being played. Then there's the other type (like myself) who really appreciates radio as a foreground (rather than a background) and who really cares about the music being played, the programme content and the presenting style, i.e. what the presenter brings to a show in terms of their musical knowledge, enthusiasm and their ability to connect and interact with the listener.

What I find quite puzzling is that it appears the majority of listeners now who seem to affect RAJAR figures seem to be the 'wallpaper' type of listener. Maybe the more discerning listener is becoming a thing of the past, (at least where commercial radio is concerned), a real pity if that's the case.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 303
    Forum Member
    wckartist wrote: »
    You know what I meant, funny only Jon has had the guts and honesty to admit it!

Has SP given you tips on "spin";-):D:D:D:D

How are you getting on with that list of 200 songs?
  • Options
    jon craigjon craig Posts: 1,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Come on guys, you know what he means. This may be the Smooth thread but the music research debate applies equally to Heart, Capital, and indeed all other Groups and stations who use it as a music selection tool. The point is, Global seem to find the playing of untried and untested new songs to be 'less risky' when said artists happen to be signed to their Talent/Publishing arm. To be fair this applies more to Heart as Capital regularly break new music in the UK long before any other commercial or BBC stations.

For what it's worth, I don't blame them. From a business point of view it makes perfect sense to use your radio stations to promote your artists. What's a little amusing though is the reluctance for some to actually admit it happens. Cover Drive was the obvious one - an unknown track by an almost unknown act, added to Heart upfront at a time when they were playing almost nothing ahead of release!
  • Options
    AmaraAmara Posts: 5,376
    Forum Member
    Radio 2 played a new song this lunchtime by Englebert Humperdinck & Cliff Richard it is ideal Smooth material but of course won't get a look in. Its a shame they play so many songs over & over whilst at the same time ignoring new tracks which fit the format. Pre Global there was a lot of really good stuff played. I really don't see why given the amount of music they play these days that a couple of new songs couldn't be played each hour?

I suppose Smarty Prog will disagree as it hasn't been tested of course!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a smooth thread so the point doesn't apply. That's the problem with this debate - people make generalisations about Smooth/Global and get upset when they're called on it. XFM and Capital play the upfront stuff, Heart much less so and Smooth virtually not at all. If they want to risk a negative response by nepotistically play listing there own product (if if turns out to be unpopular) that's their decision.
  • Options
    radio-roverradio-rover Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With smooth going from National Digital one how many listeners will they loose,?

and how many could they gain by taking over the Gold mw and Dab areas?
  • Options
    SmartProgrammerSmartProgrammer Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amara wrote: »
    Radio 2 played a new song this lunchtime by Englebert Humperdinck & Cliff Richard it is ideal Smooth material but of course won't get a look in.
    Because it's an awful song. It will be forgotten before you know it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=Amara;
    I suppose Smarty Prog will disagree as it hasn't been tested of course!!!![/QUOTE]

It's a shame this thread has descended into name calling ......
  • Options
    djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who would you prefer to treat you... a trained doctor with reliable tested knowledge or someone who just 'knows from instinct' what's wrong?

Haha that comment brings back memories of some of the similar comments made when Shaun Derry was appointed Notts County manager, for those of you who are into football

Has anyone noticed how the 3 from 1 at 3 clues are always really easy or incredibly obsecure? The clues for ABBA were ridiculously easy today
  • Options
    radiodadradiodad Posts: 2,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jon craig wrote: »
    For what it's worth, I don't blame them. From a business point of view it makes perfect sense to use your radio stations to promote your artists. What's a little amusing though is the reluctance for some to actually admit it happens. Cover Drive was the obvious one - an unknown track by an almost unknown act, added to Heart upfront at a time when they were playing almost nothing ahead of release!

As you say it marks perfect sense, what doesn't make sense is why the heck Radio 2 A list every new song that Jamie Cullum releases.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Because it's an awful song. It will be forgotten re you know it.

Well of course it will be forgotten because no one else will play it. It is only Radio 2 or Smooth material. As I expected you think its awful as its not Michael Buble or George Michael.

Strange that both my wife and I liked it but then our views don't count.
  • Options
    Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    radiodad wrote: »
    As you say it marks perfect sense, what doesn't make sense is why the heck Radio 2 A list every new song that Jamie Cullum releases.
    Nothing to do with him being a presenter or anything. Imagine a radio station having a vested interest in playing an artist on the radio, that'll never happen.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    Well of course it will be forgotten because no one else will play it. It is only Radio 2 or Smooth material. As I expected you think its awful as its not Michael Buble or George Michael.

Strange that both my wife and I liked it but then our views don't count.

Well, you have a radio station that plays it - Radio 2! Should every radio station have to play what you & your wife like. Can't people that like something different to you & your wife expect to have a station that caters for them also?
  • Options
    LucaLuca Posts: 1,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cut6 wrote: »
    How are you getting on with that list of 200 songs?

Maybe he has to work for a living.
  • Options
    SmartProgrammerSmartProgrammer Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well of course it will be forgotten because no one else will play it. It is only Radio 2 or Smooth material.
    It's also been playlisted at the BBC locals (including your local Radio Norfolk). Strangely it has also received airplay at The Breeze where I can imagine it sticks out like a sore thumb.
  • Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,842
    Forum Member

Personally I think it's a great song and it's bang on target for Smooth's audience. There are a few good new songs featured on Radio 2's current playlist from the likes of Johnny Cash, Mike Oldfield, Brad Paisley, Christina Perri and even U2 that would sound great on Smooth but they still keep peddling out the same old rubbish.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    -Believer- wrote: »
    Well, you have a radio station that plays it - Radio 2! Should every radio station have to play what you & your wife like. Can't people that like something different to you & your wife expect to have a station that caters for them also?

No of course not it was merely a suggestion of a suitable new track for the Smooth playlist which I see above that BBC locals are also playing. When will the pro-Global brigade accept that just because Global don't play it does not mean it isn't a good track.

I really don't care whether Smooth play this particular track or not it is just an example of a new track that fits the Smooth format but of course they will choose to play there "tested" tracks over & over until we are all sick to death of hearing them.
  • Options
    JERRY HIPKISSJERRY HIPKISS Posts: 2,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Correction - it's a great song in the original by The Temptations - just an awful cover version...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's also been playlisted at the BBC locals (including your local Radio Norfolk). Strangely it has also received airplay at The Breeze where I can imagine it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Perhaps the BBC have better taste than Global !!!!
  • Options
    wckartistwckartist Posts: 1,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .play listing there own product (.

Their......i'll help you with your English matey!!;-):D:D