Options

NHS interview

avaconradavaconrad Posts: 1,362
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was wondering if anyone could help me, I have an interview on Friday for a booking clerk (band 2) and I was just wondering if anyone knew what the interview would be like.

Also are you allowed to take notes in with you.

Comments

• Options
    iCandy77iCandy77 Posts: 1,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's nothing to say you can't - but it doesn't look very professional.

What sort of notes do you want to take in?
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where was the job advertised?

If on jobs.nhs.uk you can safely assume that they had a relatively small response and unless earmarked for an internal candidate they will only have invited genuine potential candidates for interview.

The interview will be pretty much assessing you against a check list which will be based on the person specification you will have got with the application pack. If you can demonstrate you have the needed qualities and abilities and be enthusiastic and come across as genuine, reliable and and a team player then you stand an excellent chance.

I'll say 'good luck' as though the NHS isn't a great place to work right at the moment (other than for a tiny number of Trusts) it certainly has it's perks with Annual leave and pension. And the vast majority are good people to work with.
  • Options
    x_malibubabex_malibubabe Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Up until a few weeks ago I was doing this role (got a promotion :) ) and in the interview they'll just ask why you are good for the role, what experience you have and a few scenario questions. From my time job hunting with 10+ NHS interviews, they will more than likely ask you something along the lines of the following scenario:

The phone rings, a doctor/nurse comes in to ask you something and you have someone at the desk (if on a reception) - which order do you deal with them?

I'm sure it varies in different roles and trusts but with mine unfortunately they do tend to give the job to an internal candidate with systems access. :( it took me about 18 months to get into the NHS (and this is with previous experience!).
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Up until a few weeks ago I was doing this role (got a promotion :) ) and in the interview they'll just ask why you are good for the role, what experience you have and a few scenario questions. From my time job hunting with 10+ NHS interviews, they will more than likely ask you something along the lines of the following scenario:

The phone rings, a doctor/nurse comes in to ask you something and you have someone at the desk (if on a reception) - which order do you deal with them?

I'm sure it varies in different roles and trusts but with mine unfortunately they do tend to give the job to an internal candidate with systems access. :( it took me about 18 months to get into the NHS (and this is with previous experience!).
    What's the right answer?

I would help the person at the desk first, before the nurse or doctor, but I work in customer service and the clients come first. NHS though may be different.

Good luck OP :)
  • Options
    RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If your notes are for things like answers to "Why are you perfect for the NHS?" or "What did XXX job role entail?" or whatever, then taking them into an interview would suggest one of three things:

1. Your memory isn't too good,
    2. You couldn't be bothered to memorise your work experience or positive qualities,
    3. You don't mean what you say (you aren't telling the truth or you're exaggerating but can't remember what your own half-truths are).

Don't go that route - anything you've got written down should be memorised, but basically you need to come across as genuine, not as if you're reciting from a crib sheet.

Best of luck with the interview. :)
  • Options
    RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the right answer?

I would help the person at the desk first, before the nurse or doctor, but I work in customer service and the clients come first. NHS though may be different.

Good luck OP :)

I'd go with the doctor/nurse first. In customer service, strictly speaking, the customer of a desk clerk is anyone who has dealings with you (ie internal and external customers). In a private company, I'd put the external customer first and the internal would agree, but in a doctor/nurse vs person scenario, I'm sure a member of the public who sees a doctor or nurse waiting for the same clerk as you would indicate for you to see to them first.

Only my opinion, of course - just another slant on the priority thing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    The questions are usually fairly generic; the interviewer has a list of questions in front of them and they'll choose which to ask you at the time.

You'll always get one along the lines of "What will you bring to this role?" Make sure you know the person specification inside out - it's available on the webpage with every vacancy. They'll literally be ticking off your qualities against the ones on the person specification and your score will be added up to see how suitable you are.

You'll probably also get at least one situational one like "How do you deal with pressure / conflict / a challenge?" - for this kind of question you might want use the 'STAR' idea, where you describe the Situation, the Task needed to resolve it, the Action you took, and the Results, and make sure you've got a few examples lined up beforehand.

Good luck :cool:
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Relly wrote: »
    I'd go with the doctor/nurse first. In customer service, strictly speaking, the customer of a desk clerk is anyone who has dealings with you (ie internal and external customers). In a private company, I'd put the external customer first and the internal would agree, but in a doctor/nurse vs person scenario, I'm sure a member of the public who sees a doctor or nurse waiting for the same clerk as you would indicate for you to see to them first.

Only my opinion, of course - just another slant on the priority thing.
    Thank you for your comment. :)

I don't work in an environment where I have to make those decisions, the customer/client is the priority. Obviously it's different in healthcare. I'm embarrassed to have thought otherwise.
  • Options
    x_malibubabex_malibubabe Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the right answer?

As far as I'm aware, there is no right answer. I think it depends on how you answer/justify each one. Like you couldn't say something along the lines of "well the person at the desk can wait".

Good luck OP. :)
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Help the one on the phone first because the others can see you and know what you are doing. The one on the phone doesn't.