Should certain accents not teach English?

13»

Comments

• highking1014highking1014 Posts: 1,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We shouldn't be teaching it anyway but we have an excuse as we were forced to speak English in the first place.

Ack aye yous forced us didnt ye, ye wee english rascals ye, ye can fcuk away aff
  • The Exiled DubThe Exiled Dub Posts: 8,358
    Forum Member
    Years ago I was told I spoke Russian with a Moscow accent, which I thought was great. I am learning Korean now, and although I use the Seoul dialect, I just can't get the accent. I was told by a Korean American that I spoke Korean with a thick Irish brogue. And I was told by a Korean woman I met, that the way I spoke Korean was 'cute'. Not what I was hoping for but still, at least they understood what I was saying. Learning a foreign language and having one of the local accents is a huge bonus in my opinion.
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    I learnt German in Baden Württemberg, where I lived for a year.

Nice people, but they can't half turn on the accent down there.
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    If any, like, foreigners, spent too much time in the company of, like, English schoolgirls, they'd end up, like, speaking in an Australian accent.

You, like, forgot the question mark at the end?
  • foonkfoonk Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it",s being snobby or picky to want English language to be taught by somebody with good diction, clarity, and correct pronunciation of words etc.

It"s a bit like getting your mate who knows a bit about cars to repair and service your new Porsche; he might give it a go, but the end result won't be as it could be.
  • StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everyone has an accent. We have just been brainwashed into believing one particular accent (in our case the Queen's English) is the correct one. There is no reason why it should be.
  • Fiddly_FeltzFiddly_Feltz Posts: 645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A Scot, speaking without dialect, has the perfect English speaking accent.

There are numerous words that sound similar when spoken by an Englisman (moor/more) but there's no mistaking the spelling when spoken by a Scot.

Example.....The word 'art' has the letter 'r' in it....it needs to be pronounced. It's not 'aht'.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Starpuss wrote: »
    Everyone has an accent. We have just been brainwashed into believing one particular accent (in our case the Queen's English) is the correct one. There is no reason why it should be.

I agree. Speaking clearly and being articulate is far more important than your accent.

I have a pretty standard London accent and I've never heard trouble being understood by anyone home, or abroad
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my view, you should modify your teaching voice to be neutral and be careful of masculine and feminine bias.

You don't want men to be accused of speaking like women and vice versa.

In spite of this, very few people get fluent enough to worry about accents.

Even in the English speaking world, some generic gene means you will be easily identifiable and even 'correct'.

Is Asian English wrong? Or South African? Or Aus/NZ? Should they (with English as first language) up their game?
  • pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cg_Evans wrote: »
    :D

i must say someone with a heavy glaswegian accent should NOT be an english teacher under any circumstances, roflmao!

och aye da noo
    Your accent might be perfect, but your linguistic geography could do with a brush-up :D Glaswegians saying "och aye the noo"?!
    foonk wrote: »
    I don't think it",s being snobby or picky to want English language to be taught by somebody with good diction, clarity, and correct pronunciation of words etc.

It"s a bit like getting your mate who knows a bit about cars to repair and service your new Porsche; he might give it a go, but the end result won't be as it could be.
    Diction and clarity, yes, but there's no such thing as "correct" pronunciation of words*. And the idea that people who happen to be born in the Home Counties are somehow "better" at English (an expert rather than someone who "knows a bit") than people in other regions might be offensive if it wasn't so funny :D

* Accent-wise, anyway. There are ways to just get it wrong, but saying it in your own accent isn't one of them.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it because I is black?
  • bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So OP, are you saying that people who teach English should all be tested on their accent first? Sheesh.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Years ago I was told I spoke Russian with a Moscow accent, which I thought was great. I am learning Korean now, and although I use the Seoul dialect, I just can't get the accent. I was told by a Korean American that I spoke Korean with a thick Irish brogue. And I was told by a Korean woman I met, that the way I spoke Korean was 'cute'. Not what I was hoping for but still, at least they understood what I was saying. Learning a foreign language and having one of the local accents is a huge bonus in my opinion.

I work with a lot of Russians and almost all of them speak 'American English' rather than English as we speak it.
  • TRIPSTRIPS Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do people really git rid of their accents so they can be clearly understood. i doubt it very much.
    I think a lot of people feel self conscious about their accents in certain situations. never bothered myself as i have never believed your accent is a pointer to your intelligence. that's got a lot to do with it for some people. feeling superior. a bit sad really.
    If you are going to judge someone on first impressions then I still think it's down to their vocabulary not the accent.
  • highking1014highking1014 Posts: 1,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Scot, speaking without dialect, has the perfect English speaking accent.

There are numerous words that sound similar when spoken by an Englisman (moor/more) but there's no mistaking the spelling when spoken by a Scot.

Example.....The word 'art' has the letter 'r' in it....it needs to be pronounced. It's not 'aht'.

there is nothing worse than a posh speaking scot, it actually makes my soul hurt a bit
  • julie_tredgoldjulie_tredgold Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FaithyH wrote: »
    Bouquet ! *sniffs :D

so many snobs these days Anne, I say live and let live I love accents.

Accents show character and personality , none can be bought
    I love my accent and my town
    I am English I can trace my family back 300 years in England
    Give these "posh" people a drink or get into an argument with them and an accent suddenly appears from out of nowhere :D:D

A few years ago I taught asylum seekers to speak English , it was important that they learned my accent as they all lived in my area
  • foonkfoonk Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pickwick wrote: »
    Diction and clarity, yes, but there's no such thing as "correct" pronunciation of words*.

* Accent-wise, anyway. There are ways to just get it wrong, but saying it in your own accent isn't one of them.

I think there is.

Some people say "Yus" for "Yes". That's incorrect pronunciation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lNiCdPeR7k