Execution in Arizona takes 2 hours to kill prisoner

Comments

• tour de forcetour de force Posts: 4,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is an awful story. Chilling.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Because they are still human beings. Should I not feel sympathy for the person that killed him should that person be killed?

To coin a bad forum cliche, would you feel the same sympathy if they had murdered a couple of your close family members?
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,979
    Forum Member
    To coin a bad forum cliche, would you feel the same sympathy if they had murdered a couple of your close family members?

I may feel less but I imagine I would yes, I wouldn't feel any justice in the fact they had died. Being in prison for life, which actually means life over there, would make me feel much better than knowing they had gotten an easy way out. I would feel sympathy for their suffering in this case.
  • Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    I think the prisoners should be given a choice of execution. They know they are going to die so why can't they be offered the lethal cocktail they use in places like Dignitas. I don't agree with the DP but unless the authorities want to reduce themselves to the level of animals then it should be humane. Some will say this attitude is too soft, but the DP is not revenge, just a way of taking the perpetrators life to remove them permanently from society.
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What they should have done is abolish the death penalty which has no place in a civilised 21st century country. The idea from members of the public that we should not just retain the death penalty but also introduce the legality of torture to the process to quell bloodlust and perceived injustice is chilling and something American politicians should thoroughly distance themselves from. That's the sort of behaviour I would expect from backward fundamental extremists and terrorists, not a democratically elected state in 21st century America.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's horrific. Nobody should be killed by the state at the best of time, but to have this torture! It's on a par with medieval Britain.

I can't remember who said it on pg1 now, but the DP is far from the cheaper way to deal with criminals. I'm sure someone not on a phone will be along with links etc to show how expensive it is to execute a prisoner.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,979
    Forum Member
    Odd Socks wrote: »
    That's horrific. Nobody should be killed by the state at the best of time, but to have this torture! It's on a par with medieval Britain.

I can't remember who said it on pg1 now, but the DP is far from the cheaper way to deal with criminals. I'm sure someone not on a phone will be along with links etc to show how expensive it is to execute a prisoner.

A quick google search came up with:

"Executing all of the people currently on death row, or waiting for them to die there of other causes, will cost California an estimated $4 billion more than if they had been sentenced to die in prison of disease, injury, or old age; California death penalty trials have cost as much as $10.9 million."

Also a link here explaining the cost in different states.
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always wonder how people who are fine with this sort of barbarism see themselves and the state/prison system as morally superior to the actual murderer. There doesn't seem to be much difference.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A quick google search came up with:

"Executing all of the people currently on death row, or waiting for them to die there of other causes, will cost California an estimated $4 billion more than if they had been sentenced to die in prison of disease, injury, or old age; California death penalty trials have cost as much as $10.9 million."

Also a link here explaining the cost in different states.

Thanks, you're a star :)

The cost is ridiculous. With that and the fact it doesn't work as a deterrent I'll never understand people wanting the DP at all for anything other than revenge.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FMKK wrote: »
    I always wonder how people who are fine with this sort of barbarism see themselves and the state/prison system as morally superior to the actual murderer. There doesn't seem to be much difference.
    They normally hide behind religion and the contents of the Bible to justify their stance. The same Bible which morally advocates the mass killing of ten year old children and the execution by stoning anyone who works on the Sabbath. When the Bible influences people's perception of justice and it gets introduced into the justice system, we know we are screwed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely a bullet to the head is cheaper, more reliable, and more humane than that?
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why can't they just use the stuff that they put animals to sleep with? I've been present twice when a dog's been put to sleep and it usually happens in no-time at all. Peaceful too. Anyway, I don't agree with this, but can understand why some others don't care.
  • jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    I feel sympathy for the unnecessary suffering of anyone and I find it breathtaking that the US not only still practices state-sanctioned killing, but uses methods that mean the person can take hours to die.

These are the countries that Amnesty said executed people in 2012

Afghanistan (14), Bangladesh (1), Belarus (3+), China (2000+), Gambia (9), India (1), Iran (314+), Iraq (129+), Japan (7), North Korea (6+), Pakistan (1), Palestine (6), Republic of China (6), Saudi Arabia (79+), Somalia (6+), South Sudan (5+), Sudan (19+), UAE (1), USA (43), Yemen (28+).[4]

What great company the US is keeping.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red John wrote: »
    Surely a bullet to the head is cheaper, more reliable, and more humane than that?
    Only if you want to abolish appeals, due process and any element of a justice system (I would say modern but there is nothing modern or moral about the death penalty).
  • OvertheUnderOvertheUnder Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they are going down this route why don't they bring back the Brazen Bull technique or death by boiling.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only if you want to abolish appeals, due process and any element of a justice system (I would say modern but there is nothing modern or moral about the death penalty).

Why would you need to abolish all that just to change the method of execution?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose if the USA wishes to take a step nearer to the likes of North Korea or fundamental extremists, then the gun would be a worthy replacement. There must be a genuine reason why the USA or any other western country which sadly still imposes the death penalty uses death by firing squad.. (sans Oklahoma and Utah)?
  • jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    fefster wrote: »
    Interesting that they tried to get a stay of execution for him based on the fact that the drugs were of suspect quality. Seems they were right:
    http://time.com/3023622/supreme-court-joseph-wood-execution/

This is unacceptable. This turns us into torturers and barbarians.

Who is "us"? It turns me into nothing of the kind as i lve in a country that doesnt have the death penalty
  • adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Semierotic wrote: »
    It's not about having sympathy for the murderer, it's about thinking that state sanctioned executions are bloody draconian.

Exactly - the OP is a false dichotomy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose if the USA wishes to take a step nearer to the likes of North Korea or fundamental extremists, then the gun would be a worthy replacement. There must be a genuine reason why the USA or any other western country which sadly still imposes the death penalty uses death by firing squad..?

But like I said, surely an instant death by a bullet to the head is more humane than a dodgy injection that can take hours to kill? I'm not in favour of the death penalty but if you're going to have one you might as well have a swift and effective method of execution.

I wonder how many Americans would still be pro death penalty if they had to watch someone's brains decorate a wall.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Because you talked of it being cheaper and that's where the money goes, not in the method.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But like I said, surely an instant death by a bullet to the head is more humane than a dodgy injection that can take hours to kill? I'm not in favour of the death penalty but if you're going to have one you might as well have a swift and effective method of execution.

I wonder how many Americans would still be pro death penalty if they had to watch someone's brains decorate a wall.
    By the sounds of the victims family in this case, they don't want humane and quick killings. Its going to create a conflict between state and people willing for bloodlust. There may well be people who also want brains decorating a wall too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Odd Socks wrote: »
    Because you talked of it being cheaper and that's where the money goes, not in the method.

Why would using a cheaper method of execution necessitate the abolition of appeals and due process?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why would using a cheaper method of execution necessitate the abolition of appeals and due process?

It wouldn't. Therefore it wouldn't be cheaper. That's the point :)
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Red John meant that the method of execution would be cheaper.