No sound on my laptop

Hi' hope someone can advise me. Last night the sound from my Compaq CQ58 laptop stopped working. I checked all the settings and all showed ok. I tried plugging in headphones, but no sound through those either.
Really at a loss here and as I say, can anyone suggest what I need to do to get my sound back please? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you sure it's not muted?

What does the volume control icon indicate?
  • steve3927steve3927 Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    Hi Stig. No it's def not muted. I double checked. The volume control in Settings is up to 100%
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steve3927 wrote: »
    Hi Stig. No it's def not muted. I double checked. The volume control in Settings is up to 100%
    What version of Windows are you using as that determines what options are available and how you get at them.

But on a general note the setting of the volume control is unrelated to the Mute function. You can mute the speakers with the volume anywhere between 0 and 100%. It is a separate tick box next to the volume slider usually. Though usually if the Mute is on the icon in the taskbar has a red "no entry" sign on top of the speaker.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you use an HDMI connection sometimes? If so, the audio can be routed there.
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    What version of Windows are you using as that determines what options are available and how you get at them.

Hi Chrisjr , I'm using Windows 8.1
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »
    Do you use an HDMI connection sometimes? If so, the audio can be routed there.

Hi Stig, no I don,t use HDMl connection.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go to Device Manager in Control Panel, uninstall any audio output device from there and search for the new hardware. Sometimes it helps just reinstalling the same drivers again.
  • SambdaSambda Posts: 6,207
    Forum Member
    First reboot. Then don't open any other software.

Go to the following places and turn any and all "volume controls" up to 100%. Make sure also that there are no suspicious crossed-thru speaker icons anywhere along the line.

Audio control down near clock. Turn it up. Also, turn any manual volume knobs on PC up.

Right-click audio control down near clock to get into volume mixer. Turn all up. Un-mute if muted (crossed out).

Right-click audio control --> Playback Devices --> highlight then Configure. There should be a test play thing button in here. Do you get sound?

Then in same place, but Properties button (instead of Configure), you should have "use this device (enable)" at the bottom.

Pick "Properties" again, do you get "this device is working properly"?
    Forum Member
    Sambda wrote: »
    First reboot. Then don't open any other software.

Go to the following places and turn any and all "volume controls" up to 100%. Make sure also that there are no suspicious crossed-thru speaker icons anywhere along the line.

Audio control down near clock. Turn it up. Also, turn any manual volume knobs on PC up.

Right-click audio control down near clock to get into volume mixer. Turn all up. Un-mute if muted (crossed out).

Right-click audio control --> Playback Devices --> highlight then Configure. There should be a test play thing button in here. Do you get sound?

Then in same place, but Properties button (instead of Configure), you should have "use this device (enable)" at the bottom.

Pick "Properties" again, do you get "this device is working properly"?

Thanks for this Samda, will give this a try tomorrow when I get home:)

Someone at work has suggested that I try a System Restore to solve this. Do you think this will work?
  • SambdaSambda Posts: 6,207
    Forum Member
    steve3927 wrote: »
    Thanks for this Samda, will give this a try tomorrow when I get home:)

Someone at work has suggested that I try a System Restore to solve this. Do you think this will work?

Try the above before you try anything else.
  • Helmut10Helmut10 Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Control Panel > Action Centre > Troubleshooting > Hardware and Sound > Troubleshoot Audio Playback > Next and onwards....

Also check any features added by Laptop manufacturers like Function Key sound up/down, audio enhancements etc.