Cheryl Cole is too Old to start a POP career in America

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,607
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Will teenage Americans care about a divorced 28 year old woman?

Miley Cyrus' music career started at 16
Taylor Swift at 16
Britney Spears 16
Christina Aguilera 18
Rihanna 17
Beyonce 16
Lady Gaga 21
Kesha 18
Lindsay Lohan 18
Katy Perry 21
Whitney Houston 21
Mariah Carey 19
Willow Smith 9 :D

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    She has the body of a 9 year old, so it won't be a problem
  • blueface2222blueface2222 Posts: 3,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two words. Susan Boyle.
    Paul Potts.

Once they see her on X Factor US just like they saw the above 2 on Britains Got Talent 'all rules will be broken'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two words. Susan Boyle.
    Paul Potts.

Once they see her on X Factor US just like they saw the above 2 on Britains Got Talent 'all rules will be broken'.

Paul Potts didn't really have a career in the US, but I agree with the point.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her Brit career started at 18, but she doesn't look like that anymore. Her peak was at 21/22, she should have gone then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    Her age and marital status are irrelevant. But, yeah I don't think she'll make it either...for other reasons
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think her age is the issue. It's that her music is far too lightweight for the current US market.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This!

Madonna is like 50 I think and people still love her. With the help of x factor us she'll make it.
  • KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate to be pedantic but she's 27.

She will do just fine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Correction:
    Cheryl Cole is too talentless to start a POP career in America
  • David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am bemused at the way so many posters seem to think that the USA is far more discerning about the quality of their stars than we are. They have a bigger talent pool than we do, but that is because they outnumber us by around five to one. It isn't that the quality of individual performers is better. I watched a fair few episodes of American Idol this year, mainly because my son was following it, and I can't say that I was overly impressed by what I saw. The only thing that really marked it out over X Factor, for me, was that there were no joke acts, like Wagner.

If you look at a different creative discipline, acting, I reckon that Britain actually reigns supreme. We may not have the biggest stars, but we have the best actors (Johnny Depp aside - and he is more European than American these days). That is because we have a theatrical tradition that stretches back beyond Shakespeare.

Back on topic, I don't see why Cheryl Cole should not make it in America. All those people who claim that they won't be able to understand her accent are clearly disregarding the fact that those who live in London, Inverness and Abergavenny seem to manage, so why shouldn't Americans? Those who say she is talentless ( I disagree, by the way) ignore the fact that untalented people can still make it in showbiz. Tom Cruise may be one of the biggest film stars alive, but I don't rate him as an actor at all. Ditto Keanu Reeves.
  • Stewie_CStewie_C Posts: 1,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Correction:

^^ this is spot on. They will see through her very fast, not like her because of the subtitles necessary to make her understood and the ABH will go down a storm too.
  • jag02010jag02010 Posts: 7,347
    Forum Member
    Correction:

1) Ke$ha.
    2) Miley.
    3) Ke$ha.
    4) Katy.
    5) Ke$ha.

Something tells me Cheryl has the US beat in terms of talent. :rolleyes:
  • jag02010jag02010 Posts: 7,347
    Forum Member
    Stewie_C wrote: »
    ^^ this is spot on. They will see through her very fast, not like her because of the subtitles necessary to make her understood and the ABH will go down a storm too.

I am from America and can understand her just fine... I don't see why they will need Subs.
  • iluvdanniiiluvdannii Posts: 3,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dnt think age matters cause look it Kylie, she's 42 and she's doing well there
  • Harry RedknappHarry Redknapp Posts: 4,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She isn't too old to start a pop career. She's just 27 and Nelly Furtado was the same age when she hit it really big in America. (Although she was known prior to the audience.) Cheryl may surprise us.

ETA: Miley is more talented than Cheryl; she is much better a singer than Cheryl. I would probably give you Ke$ha but I'd say thats a draw.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know about her age being a barrier so much as the fact she's completely shit at everything apart from punching black people in the face.

I'm not sure there's a commercially viable niche for that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know about her age being a barrier so much as the fact she's completely shit at everything apart from punching black people in the face.

I'm not sure there's a commercially viable niche for that.

So that's NAMBLA and the KKK who'll be buying her music.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Madonna's career started late and you're forgetting Natasha Bedingfield.
  • mrellis33mrellis33 Posts: 2,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nicole Scherzinger is 32. I don't think 28 is old at all
  • spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrellis33 wrote: »
    Nicole Scherzinger is 32. I don't think 28 is old at all

Nicole flopped in the US big time stylie though
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jag02010 wrote: »
    1) Ke$ha.
    2) Miley.
    3) Ke$ha.
    4) Katy.
    5) Ke$ha.

Something tells me Cheryl has the US beat in terms of talent. :rolleyes:

Katy and Miley are way more talented than Cheryl. Both write their own songs and Miley can play instruments too.

Katy may not be the best singer but she sings live and is a better all round entertainer than Biffa can ever hope.

Cheryl's age will not be against her. Her weak, limp and lifeless songs is what is against her (plus her crap voice).
  • Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This!

Madonna is like 50 I think and people still love her. With the help of x factor us she'll make it.

Maddonna was about 26 when she broke over there, so Miss Cole isn't far off.

Her biggest disadvantage is that American radio stations are very insular. Success will depend on getting some big US stars behind her...;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's not too old lol

There's loads of pops stars over 20
  • cyberwarcyberwar Posts: 4,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It really does not matter how old cole is, she just aint good enough. If she was good enough, she would have made it already.
  • BillieABillieA Posts: 686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheryl looks the part and as long she's allowed to mime, she'll sound the part too.

Suggesting she's too old is absolutely ridiculous.
    I watched a fair few episodes of American Idol this year, mainly because my son was following it, and I can't say that I was overly impressed by what I saw. The only thing that really marked it out over X Factor, for me, was that there were no joke acts, like Wagner.

Have you only watched this year? If so, it's a shame as it was by a million miles the weakest year in the series' history.