Options

What do you prefer?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 374
Forum Member
A whodunnit storyline or a storyline where you know who the culprit is?

For example, do you prefer to watch a storyline and be oblivious for month to who did it? i.e Archie's murder, who shot Phil, who attacked Tracey etc.

Or would do you prefer to know all along who did it and watch the characters on the show not know and guess etc etc i.e the emmerdale fire.

We tend to see more whodunnits than weknowwhodunnits. I much prefer the whodunnits :) I love the expense of the run up to the big reveal of a whodunnit where as when I know who done it I get really bored and frustrated which leads me to turn off.

Slight overuse of the words who done it, sorry :)

Feel free to share your opinions.

Comments

• Options
    kira neryskira nerys Posts: 942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definately a whodunnit,so long as its not dragged out so long that we dont care whodunnit anymore:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A whodunnit is best. Who Killed Archie? was great. It only lasted 7 weeks aswell. There were so many people with a reason to do it and everyone was acting weird. Everyone talks about whodunnits and try to guess whodunnit.
  • Options
    demented yoyodemented yoyo Posts: 4,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I definitely prefer weknowwhodunnits.

Whodunnits bore me to death because IMO they usually drag them out too long :o
  • Options
    cooko94cooko94 Posts: 18,550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I definitely prefer weknowwhodunnits.

Whodunnits bore me to death because IMO they usually drag them out too long :o

i'm the same , plus the fact i usually guess who it was straight away(e.g stacey) :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cooko94 wrote: »
    i'm the same , plus the fact i usually guess who it was straight away(e.g stacey) :)

Did you put a bet on it?
  • Options
    cooko94cooko94 Posts: 18,550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cm1992 wrote: »
    Did you put a bet on it?

i'm too young lol(i was 15):D
  • Options
    rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whodunits bore me if they drag it out too long. (I love readying mysteries so I love a good whodunit) however I find that the audience knowing whodunit before the actors do really cranks up the tension because of the interactions they have so innocently with the other characters before being found out. However this has to be done right. As is the case with LIsa in Emmerdale and Derek her rapist...
  • Options
    Sparklyblue171Sparklyblue171 Posts: 3,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For whodunnits it's also important for the victim to be an interesting character. For example, the Archie murder had alot of people interested and suspects could be eagerly discussed. Someone like Calvin from HO however, had some people not even bothering by the end.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer to be in the know and the characters oblivious. Mainly because I can laugh at the interactions and the finger pointing....and then revel in their humilation when they have to apologise!

The whole "Who killed Tom King?" on ED that dragged on for months and months ruined it because no one cared by the end.
  • Options
    tenchgirltenchgirl Posts: 11,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont mind as long as its well written and well done.
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer to know.

Whodunnits are all too common now (especially in Eastenders) that the suspense just isn't there anymore. I find myself not really caring and losing interest. The who shot Phil story from 10 years ago was fantastic though. It had me glued. But that's because it was an original idea back then.