Big Brother is tracking you !

xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,877
Forum Member
We re being watched... tagged and tracked ....
The dystopian nightmare described in George Orwell’s novel 1984 took place in London, UK.

This very city is today one of the most heavily monitored places in the world, using a record number of cameras and the most advanced surveillance technology to keep track of its citizens.

Reuters now reports that the CCTV system of London has now the ability to tag specific people, track them across the entire system and even run a “search” on them for previous footage.
The report basically praises the software and quickly dismisses the privacy concerns it raises, stating that most citizens approve of being monitored (I’d like to see a scientific survey proving this).

Of course, this summer’s London Riots were mentioned as an excuse to implement this technology, as anticipated in my article entitled The London Riots and How They Will be Used to the Elite’s Advantage.

Comments

• ubanjodubanjod Posts: 4,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is old news. The CCTV bit. I knew about this several years ago.

A lot of people dont care about it, because they dont understand the implications of what is happening. IF it doesnt directly affect them, they are not bothered. Over the last few years, with all the constant news about terror etc, these systems had been introduced overtly. Not even in a sneaky way.

We have been programmed to accept that if you havent done anything wrong, you have nothing to hide or be afraid off. It's a sad situation but when the powers that be are in control, there is nothing we can really do. Speak out too loudly and your labeled a nutjob. :rolleyes:

I hope you are all ready to be tagged.
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just make yourself a pocket CCTV jammer, then you won't need to worry.
  • juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    That's the least of it....

http://www.bigbrotherwatch.org.uk/

A ruling by Southampton Crown Court has sent a clear message to local authorities across the country – a policy of mandatory audio recording in taxis is unlawful, being both disproportionate and a violation of Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights.

The case – Southampton City Council v Kevin May, is the first challenge against mandatory audio recording and comes weeks after Oxford council said it planned to introduce the policy.

The judgement said: “It was not reasonably necessary to install audio cameras on a permanent basis in all taxis in Southampton to pursue the council aims of preventing crime and disorder and improving safety.”

The case evaluated the arguments put forward in favour of a system and comprehensively found Southampton Council was acting in breach of the law to enforce the policy.

At paragraph 71 of the ruling, the court reaffirms this point, saying: “The condition does not correspond to a pressing social need, is not proportionate to the legitimate aim pursued and is not necessary in a democratic society in the interests of national security, public safety or the economic well-being of the country, for the prevention of disorder or crime, for the protection of health or morals, or for the protection of the rights and freedoms of others.”

However, the court ruled that it did not have the power to overturn the policy, and that it would require a judicial review to force the council to abandon it. This technicality in no way alters the fact that the court has ruled the policy is unlawful, and it would be an absurdity if Southamton City Council were to continue with the policy.

Big Brother Watch is calling for Southampton, Oxford and any other local authority considering this issue to abandon a policy which has now been established as “disproportionate and a violation of Article 8″ by a Court.

We have written to Oxford City Council calling for them to abandon their policy without delay on the basis of this decision.

Audio cameras? Was this in the national media? I cant believe it.
  • xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,877
    Forum Member
    Human beings have one thing in common... we all watch television at some time every day.
    Who's to say there's not some tiny glass fibre size camera behind the screen watching us... maybe an audio mike in there too !
  • alanr74alanr74 Posts: 4,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xxtimbo wrote: »
    Human beings have one thing in common... we all watch television at some time every day.
    Who's to say there's not some tiny glass fibre size camera behind the screen watching us... maybe an audio mike in there too !

because it would be spotted quite easily. Then again, they're all out to get us right!!! lol
  • ubanjodubanjod Posts: 4,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Good God, I thought I was paranoid! :eek:
  • johnnybgoode83johnnybgoode83 Posts: 8,908
    Forum Member
    Tinfoil hat anyone?
  • RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well they don't seem to be very good at analysing patterns to pre-empt and prevent criminality, if that's what they want to be doing that is.
  • johnnybgoode83johnnybgoode83 Posts: 8,908
    Forum Member
    RussellIan wrote: »
    Well they don't seem to be very good at analysing patterns to pre-empt and prevent criminality, if that's what they want to be doing that is.

A Minority Report situation?
  • juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    Years ago a friend of mine told me that his mother was worked on a development that enabled ordinary land line phones to be used as listening devices in any room they were in.They were designed for MI5 etc to use. The receiver didn't have to be picked up, all it needed was the phone jack to be plugged in. All phones were subsequently built with this ability. Whether they still are, I don't know.
  • alanr74alanr74 Posts: 4,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Years ago a friend of mine told me that his mother was worked on a development that enabled ordinary land line phones to be used as listening devices in any room they were in.They were designed for MI5 etc to use. The receiver didn't have to be picked up, all it needed was the phone jack to be plugged in. All phones were subsequently built with this ability. Whether they still are, I don't know.

Your mate told you a pack of lies.
  • xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,877
    Forum Member
    Every time I stay in a B and B I look round the room and think..
    one of those pinhole cameras could be fitted anywhere,
    in a clock, in a mirror.... so tiny you cant see it !

as technology advances it becomes easier and easier to snoop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YvAYIJSSZY
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We re being watched... tagged and tracked ....
    The dystopian nightmare described in George Orwell’s novel 1984 took place in London, UK.

This very city is today one of the most heavily monitored places in the world, using a record number of cameras and the most advanced surveillance technology to keep track of its citizens.

Reuters now reports that the CCTV system of London has now the ability to tag specific people, track them across the entire system and even run a “search” on them for previous footage. The report basically praises the software and quickly dismisses the privacy concerns it raises, stating that most citizens approve of being monitored (I’d like to see a scientific survey proving this).

Of course, this summer’s London Riots were mentioned as an excuse to implement this technology, as anticipated in my article entitled The London Riots and How They Will be Used to the Elite’s Advantage.

A link to the Reuters report would be helpful. All I can find with google is your blog (verbatim as this post) and other blogs referring to it (none of which give a link). Site searches of Reuters don't come up with the report you mention either.

There is no single "CCTV system" in London as such. Most CCTV is privately operated and technology varies. You could track and search for people using facial recognition software if the CCTV video supported it. But first you'd have to obtain the CCTV from the operators concerned.

There is a civil liberties danger in a system which can identify and track specific individuals without just cause, but I doubt the capacity exists to monitor the movements of the entire population.
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every time I stay in a B and B I look round the room and think..
    one of those pinhole cameras could be fitted anywhere,
    in a clock, in a mirror.... so tiny you cant see it !

as technology advances it becomes easier and easier to snoop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YvAYIJSSZY
    Don't stay in B&Bs then. ;) Why are B&B's such a worry for you, btw, and not other public places.

Mind you, they could always install these pinhole devices in your home while you're out. Not that I want to unsettle you of course.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    The systems just aren't integrated enough to allow this kind of tracking to occur. On top of this, the storage requirements and processing power would be huge, and this would limit the number of people who could be tracked at any one time. It's much more likely to be used after an incident has occurred (or when something is known about and they know who to track) anyway.

That's not to say we should be complacent about it, and wait until the technology (and more importantly the political or commercial will) is there before we tell the establishment that this sort of thing isn't acceptable, assuming that's how we feel, of course.
  • m4rk1m4rk1 Posts: 4,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Technically speaking all speakers are also transmitters. A fluctuating electric current produces sound through the speaker and likewise in reverse sound produces a fluctuating electric current. Also technically speaking these fluctuations can be picked up if the equipment doing it is sensitive enough and therefore you have a listening device. If it's hard wired like a phone receiver,it's even easier.

Think of the power of some of these spy satelites and what the military use and you wouldn't need to be too paranoid to realise this is possible. If they can pick signals up from the edge of the universe 15 billion light years away, I don't think they'd struggle to pick a few signal up a few miles above the earth.

After the Lockerbie bombing British intelligence in Cyprus listened into Gadaffi's communications by picking up the electromagnetic waves emanating from the phone lines.
    Meilie wrote: »

But this is only in the US which is becoming a more surveillance based society by the day. There was a recent court case where they ruled it was ok for the police to download the entire contents of someones mobile phone on no more basis than a routine stop, amongst many other infringements of peoples rights and privacy.

On the whole, It's a good thing we are monitored by the security services but this should be at the highest level only and never be allowed to filter down to lesser beings like the Police or worse still- local councils.
  • jammers1978jammers1978 Posts: 2,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ubanjod wrote: »
    This is old news. The CCTV bit. I knew about this several years ago.

A lot of people dont care about it, because they dont understand the implications of what is happening. IF it doesnt directly affect them, they are not bothered. Over the last few years, with all the constant news about terror etc, these systems had been introduced overtly. Not even in a sneaky way.

We have been programmed to accept that if you havent done anything wrong, you have nothing to hide or be afraid off. It's a sad situation but when the powers that be are in control, there is nothing we can really do. Speak out too loudly and your labeled a nutjob. :rolleyes:

I hope you are all ready to be tagged.

It's really important to turn this around. If you've done nothing wrong, they don't need to carry out surveillance on you. Neither do they need your DNA or do you need ID.