Options

Theresa Riggi child killer found dead at Rampton Secure Hospital.

13»

Comments

• Options
    wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Uffa wrote: »
    Brady and Huntley were totally different to parents who kill their own children while at the end of their tether over some family stress.

Fortunately most parents love their kids far too much to kill them over some family stress, it's interesting to note the huge difference in sympathy shown towards mothers who kill their kids compared to fathers who seem to be universally vilified.
  • Options
    AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    it's interesting to note the huge difference in sympathy shown towards mothers who kill their kids compared to fathers who seem to be universally vilified.

I don't actually believe that this is true. In fact I'd go so far as to say that often women are vilified MORE- a mother killing her kids is still one of the bigger taboos out there.
  • Options
    UffaUffa Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fortunately most parents love their kids far too much to kill them over some family stress, it's interesting to note the huge difference in sympathy shown towards mothers who kill their kids compared to fathers who seem to be universally vilified.

To be honest I feel the same sympathy towards fathers who feel forced into taking their own childrens lives too when faced with the possibility of losing said children.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She was assessed and interviewed by a qualified psychiatrist who found her not to be mentally ill, she became mentally ill months later after clearly not being able to come to terms with what she did, according to your assessment anyone who kills a child MUST be mentaly ill as it's not the action of a sane person, so Brady and Huntley should be forgiven also as they weren't responsible for their actions?

What do you mean by 'forgiven'?

Brady's mental state has been a hot potato for years. You must have seen him fighting to be declared sane so he would be allowed to discontinue the forced feeding. And there is something distasteful imo in the group that campaigned fiercely for many years for him to be executed campaigning now for him not to be allowed to die now that they realize how very much he wants to.

It's not for me to 'forgive' Brady or Huntley, but I do think that they, like everyone else, are entitled to a bottom line of human rights; not because there is anything to like or admire about them, but because we are a civilized society. They must be secured so that no one else is endangered, then they must be treated with basic decency; that includes providing appropriate treatment if a mental illness is properly diagnosed.
  • Options
    wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do you mean by 'forgiven'?

Brady's mental state has been a hot potato for years. You must have seen him fighting to be declared sane so he would be allowed to discontinue the forced feeding. And there is something distasteful imo in the group that campaigned fiercely for many years for him to be executed campaigning now for him not to be allowed to die now that they realize how very much he wants to.

It's not for me to 'forgive' Brady or Huntley, but I do think that they, like everyone else, are entitled to a bottom line of human rights; not because there is anything to like or admire about them, but because we are a civilized society. They must be secured so that no one else is endangered, then they must be treated with basic decency; that includes providing appropriate treatment if a mental illness is properly diagnosed.

Forgiven is the wrong word for me to use, what I meant was why are they viewed as being wholly responsible for their actions yet Theresa Riggi is seen as not being responsible because she was 'ill', even though a psychiatrist says she wasn't :confused:
  • Options
    lemonbunlemonbun Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member
    She was assessed and interviewed by a qualified psychiatrist who found her not to be mentally ill, she became mentally ill months later after clearly not being able to come to terms with what she did, according to your assessment anyone who kills a child MUST be mentaly ill as it's not the action of a sane person, so Brady and Huntley should be forgiven also as they weren't responsible for their actions?

Why then was her husband's case for sole custody based largely on her mental illness?

Assessing for the mental ability to stand trial and mental illness are not the same things.
  • Options
    scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She had personality disorders but wasn't mentally ill. She even tried to cover up what she did by blaming it on a gas explosion so she definately knew right from wrong.

She was in a bitter custody battle with her husband for the children and it looks like she did it purely out of spite. She even told a friend that her story will hit the headlines in a few days time.

She deserved all she got.

BIB personality disorders are mental disorders.
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's hard to have any sympathy for her after what she did to those kids but she obviously wasn't well.

The poor father must've been devastated.
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair, Brady and Huntley were a completely different kettle of fish - they abducted and tortured random children for no known reason other than their own amusement.
    They were nothing more than pure evil as far as I'm concerned.
  • Options
    trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Mothers who kill their own children are hardly given a free ride. Quite the opposite, in fact. The act itself is so diametrically opposed to what we envisage mothehood is about. It disturbs and upsets us due to being so unusual and inherently unnatural.

Would anyone in their right mind stab three children to death?