Edge of Darkness Mondays 10pm BBC4

mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
Forum Member
✭✭
The legendary conspiracy thriller starring Bob Peck and Joe Don Baker directed by Martin Campbell starts on the 30th June.

Another corker for BBC4, just a pity that we seem to be rationed to maybe 2 such series a year and that's if we are lucky.

Comments

• ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,962
    Forum Member
    Brilliant, I've always wanted to see this series! Thanks for starting the thread :)
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excellent news. Haven't seen it for ages. Thought it was superb at the time, just never got around to getting it on DVD, for no good reason really! Shall be watching, so thanks for the heads up.
  • cathrincathrin Posts: 4,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh thank you so much for posting this, OP, you've really made my day!....I'm absolutely hopping round the room with excitement and anticipation! Such a wonderful, powerful drama....amazing performance from the stellar Bob Peck....and the music, oh the music! Fabulous!

I can't recommend this highly enough. One of the best dramas ever. Roll on June 30th! :)
    Forum Member
    cathrin wrote: »
    Oh thank you so much for posting this, OP, you've really made my day!....I'm absolutely hopping round the room with excitement and anticipation! Such a wonderful, powerful drama....amazing performance from the stellar Bob Peck....and the music, oh the music! Fabulous!

I can't recommend this highly enough. One of the best dramas ever. Roll on June 30th! :)

Worth watching then? :D
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    Bloody hell, nearly 30 years old! A real high-water mark of the BBC.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Has the sky-high price of 62p put you off buying the DVD in favour of waiting for a repeat on the telly? :D

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edge-Darkness-Complete-Bob-Peck/dp/B00004CYR0
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    Has the sky-high price of 62p put you off buying the DVD in favour of waiting for a repeat on the telly? :D

Looks like someone has grabbed that one, it's gone up to £1.99 now :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »

:):D:D:D The ironic thing is, I actually did buy the DVD from amazon a while back....but I was put off watching it as the quality wasn't great. (as is so often the case with these 80s series.) I've been holding out for BBC4 HD to show the series as Nature intended it with proper aspect ratio and nice shiny picture....hoping for great things! :)

:) Your post reminded me of the Alan Partridge meeting with the two Irish TV producers....something like this:

Alan: "I've never been to Ireland. I'd love to go."
    TV bloke: "It always amuses me when people say that. It's forty quid on the ferry"
    Alan: "I think that's what puts me off"

Or something along those lines! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:D:D:D

Worth watching for Darius Jedburgh alone, I reckon! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I preferred the remake, to be honest. The dildo-sniffing lead character came across as such an arse, I was glad for every bad thing that happened to him.
    Forum Member
    :D:D:D

Worth watching for Darius Jedburgh alone, I reckon! :)

I'll have to look him up :)
    Forum Member
    lombard wrote: »
    I preferred the remake, to be honest. The dildo-sniffing lead character came across as such an arse, I was glad for every bad thing that happened to him.

I'm even more intrigued :D
    Forum Member
    :):D:D:D The ironic thing is, I actually did buy the DVD from amazon a while back....but I was put off watching it as the quality wasn't great. (as is so often the case with these 80s series.) I've been holding out for BBC4 HD to show the series as Nature intended it with proper aspect ratio and nice shiny picture....hoping for great things! :)

:) Your post reminded me of the Alan Partridge meeting with the two Irish TV producers....something like this:

Alan: "I've never been to Ireland. I'd love to go."
    TV bloke: "It always amuses me when people say that. It's forty quid on the ferry"
    Alan: "I think that's what puts me off"

Or something along those lines! :)

There are two DVD versions, the first was just a transfer from the VHS issue and the second was a 'proper' release with extra material (interviews and reviews) and a slightly better picture quality.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure this is another repeat, I seem to remember watching it, probably last year.
  • GRCGRC Posts: 202
    Forum Member

Classic stuff.

Anyone who hasn't seen it, do yourselves a favour and tune in, record, iPlayer it. (but why haven't you bought it on DVD already if you've been 'dying' to see it?)

Essential.
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent stuff. Saw the remake recently and thought about buying the original on DVD but didn't.

One of the greatest TV theme tunes, too.
    Forum Member
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    Excellent stuff. Saw the remake recently and thought about buying the original on DVD but didn't.

One of the greatest TV theme tunes, too.

Last decent stuff Clapton's done!
  • Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    Funny how everyone remembers the dildo sniffing.
    Forum Member
    The vibrator (not a dildo!) sniffing and the 'gentle touch' technique with Craven hugging the suspected murderer are two of the more bizarre elements of EOD. I bought the book of the script which also includes several essays about the programme, including one by a senior police officer. He mentions that, while the policing scenes are generally good and accurate, the 'gentle touch' is definitely NOT an approved police technique!
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GRC wrote: »
    Anyone who hasn't seen it, do yourselves a favour and tune in, record, iPlayer it. (but why haven't you bought it on DVD already if you've been 'dying' to see it?)

It`s too compulsive a series to wait to be drip-fed an episode a week. Like the best American TV it makes you desperate to see the next one - DVD essential for that reason alone.

Bob Peck is a great loss.
  • Gary HallidayGary Halliday Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

:)

This was made on 16mm film for SD transmission with most people watching on 21 to 25 inch screens. Do not expect HD quality on a 45 inch screen! This will probably be no better than contemporary BBC 16mm efforts such as Bergerac and Miss Marple. Not sure what you mean by "proper aspect ratio". This should be 4x3 as, I presume, the DVDs are.
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrs Chuff and I watched this on DVD last year, and it's amazingly. Totally thrilling. Jawdropping, gobsmacking, terrifying.

Anyone who hasn't seen it: do yourself and favour and give it a go.
    Forum Member
    GRC wrote: »
    Classic stuff.

Essential.

I haven't bought it before because whenever I looked it was quite dear and I never seemed to get round to buying it! Plus my 'to buy' dvd list is huge :D It's much cheaper now so I think I'll buy it.
  • Loz KernowLoz Kernow Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember it well.

It opened my eyes to environmental issues and I joined Greenpeace as a result.

A stand-out tv series - with the bonus of wonderful Bob Peck :)
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bump!