Options

Can I place cctv in my dads care home room ?

whiteswanwhiteswan Posts: 842
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi

Does anybody know the legalities of this ?

Just in living area/bedroom - NOT in toilet bathroom.

Its classed as his home - he wants it in (problems with members of staff) - signs would be displayed that it would be installed.

Can I do it ?

Dave

Comments

• Options
    TagletTaglet Posts: 20,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whiteswan wrote: »
    Hi

Its classed as his home - he wants it in (problems with members of staff) - signs would be displayed that it would be installed.

Can I do it ?

Dave

Have you asked the care home?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Telling someone they are being filmed defeats the object of having cctv.
  • Options
    Mark1974Mark1974 Posts: 4,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3sweet5u wrote: »

It's there as a deterrent in most cases, hence the signs warning people.

I would speak to the care home and address your concerns directly, and advise them of your intentions.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If its covert filming of people that you think are possibly abusing your dad in some way then, as a first port of call, would it not be more wise to address these problems with the home management. No point asking permission for covert filming, you will not be given permission.

having signs up and using it as a deterrent just moves the problem elsewhere
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would doubt it very much.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Hi

Can I do it ?

Dave

If you have real concerns then secret cctv is best, you can buy a set up that looks like a clock or things like that, and NO you dont have to inform the care home
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Hi

Can I do it ?

Dave

Yes, you can.

F**k the legalities.
    If you have cause for concern, just do it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3sweet5u wrote: »

not telling them is illegal
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bedroom maybe
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't say it was illegal, but it might make the evidence not admissible in court.

But if you are just using it to prove something has happened and want to show the manager of the care home, then I doubt they would take you to court if it did show something.

Make sure you check out what the equipment does. You need a long battery life (or mains) and no blinking red lights giving it away. And a recording format you can view easily.

The clock ones are not too bad but check out the reviews on Amazon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

under the circumstances, i respond with...And?
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's perfectly legal to use a hidden 'nanny cam' in your own home (subject to the decency laws of course) and you don't need to inform anyone they're being filmed. Whether that applies to care homes I don't know. Does a resident's room count as their 'own' home? You don't actually own it, of course, but then neither do you if you're a tenant or a lodger, but it's still illegal for your landlord to spy on you.
  • Options
    Forum Member

No it is not illegal and alot of abuse on the old and disabled has been found out and staff caught this way. Here is the evidence that it is NOT illegal to do this, plus the staff were sent to prison http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCIQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fnews%2Farticle-2665840%2FCare-home-staff-filmed-called-79-year-old-dementia-suffer-nasty-old-bitch.html&ei=o-_YU6WNNa-S7Aam1IG4Dg&usg=AFQjCNELOhoWpy8RF3BsWa198Xw6dPG0iA&bvm=bv.71778758,d.ZGU
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mark1974 wrote: »
    It's there as a deterrent in most cases, hence the signs warning people.

I don't find CCTV is a deterrent, especially not for antisocial behaviour or burglary.

Most of them just hide their faces with a hoodie.

My cctv camera is hidden in an old milk powder container taped up black and behind the net curtains so no body can see it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't say it was illegal, but it might make the evidence not admissible in court.

But if you are just using it to prove something has happened and want to show the manager of the care home, then I doubt they would take you to court if it did show something.

Make sure you check out what the equipment does. You need a long battery life (or mains) and no blinking red lights giving it away. And a recording format you can view easily.

The clock ones are not too bad but check out the reviews on Amazon.

its perfectly legitimate evidence. If someone is filmed assaulting another, then they do not get off on a technicality because they hadn't consented or been aware they were being filmed.
  • Options
    killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,920
    Forum Member

If there is no abuse they will never know you did it.

If there is abuse the CCTV will be the least of their problems!
  • Options
    whiteswanwhiteswan Posts: 842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have told the care home ill be installing it this afternoon.

Had no reply back as yet.

I would have thought it would also benefit the staff in case of "false" allegations.

But I am fully prepared for their refusal to enter my dads room whilst cctv is in there - then we hit a brick wall.

Dave
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    No it is not illegal and alot of abuse on the old and disabled has been found out and staff caught this way.

In a public place its not illegal but in a privately own property its down to the owners decision.

Its also a work place so if they have rules and regulations about recording you have to abide to them.

Your best bet is to ask the person who owns/manages the care home.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have told the care home ill be installing it this afternoon.

Had no reply back as yet.

I would have thought it would also benefit the staff in case of "false" allegations.

But I am fully prepared for their refusal to enter my dads room whilst cctv is in there - then we hit a brick wall.

Dave

really don't understand why you did that
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't find CCTV is a deterrent, especially not for antisocial behaviour or burglary.

Most of them just hide their faces with a hoodie.

My cctv camera is hidden in an old milk powder container taped up black and behind the net curtains so no body can see it.

You have net curtains??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In a public place its not illegal but in a privately own property its down to the owners decision.

Its also a work place so if they have rules and regulations about recording you have to abide to them.

and what if they are the ones up to no good and getting away with. Some really daft comments on here this afternoon
  • Options
    Forum Member

This proves not illegal, staff caught and sent to prison for abuse http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCIQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fnews%2Farticle-2665840%2FCare-home-staff-filmed-called-79-year-old-dementia-suffer-nasty-old-bitch.html&ei=o-_YU6WNNa-S7Aam1IG4Dg&usg=AFQjCNELOhoWpy8RF3BsWa198Xw6dPG0iA&bvm=bv.71778758,d.ZGU . Plus and what if the owner or manager is one doing the abuse, these things are 100% legal and have sent a few abusers to prison and have forced some homes to close
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    You have net curtains??

Yes in my kitchen as I do not like people looking in. I have also used that privacy film on one window.

I have blinds in my sitting room.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    If you have real concerns then secret cctv is best, you can buy a set up that looks like a clock or things like that, and NO you dont have to inform the care home

Isn't filming somebody an invasion of privacy??

Even the the buses have signs saying that images are being recorded and it is operated by .....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes in my kitchen as I do not like people looking in. I have also used that privacy film on one window.

I have blinds in my sitting room.

Oh right