Just been told by a call centre that my demand is "illegal"!

TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
Forum Member
Just had a call centre on the phone expecting me to answer questions to a "survey" - usual witheld number

As always, I tell them that I only do paid-for surverys and will rhappily respond to their survey for £25 per 15 minutes or part thereof.

Rather than the usual mumble and phone down, this time I got a real rant and threat that they report me to the police for "criminal extortion". I still refused, more threats then call closed by them...

Somehow I don't think the police will turn up...

Anyone else think £25 per 15 minutes is unreasonable for information that clear has value to them?

Comments

• skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It can be seen by them as unreasonable but then no one said they had to pay it so it isn't extortion and laughable that they would suggest the police. The only time you would be obliged to complete the survey is if you had agreed when you signed up, but even then refusal would not be a criminal matter .

Was this a service provider to you ? if so then they can call but if the call was not from your supplier and was random and you are registered with the TPS then it would be them breaking the law.
  • vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I took one at a relatives house and had them threaten 10,000 calls a day and that the number would be handed to marketing companies worldwide and that we would experience a deluge and would never sleep. My laughing didn't seem to calm matters much.
  • Andrew1954Andrew1954 Posts: 5,448
    Forum Member
    I expect the caller just lost it after a whole series of similar smart arse responses. ;-)
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How is it extortion...both parties have the option to withdraw without any affect on the other. Surely its an offer to treat isn't it? I'll answer your questions for a fee...whats that you say, no thanks, fair dos, bye!
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vosne wrote: »
    I took one at a relatives house and had them threaten 10,000 calls a day and that the number would be handed to marketing companies worldwide and that we would experience a deluge and would never sleep. My laughing didn't seem to calm matters much.

aka Blackmail
  • vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andrew1954 wrote: »
    I expect the caller just lost it after a whole series of similar smart arse responses. ;-)

Well quite. However it was perfectly courteous to begin with and I simply escalated matters as she got increasingly aggressive and unreasonable.

I felt for her doing that job. I felt nothing but contempt and amusement for her issuing threats which she had no ability to implement.

ETA - though you probably meant the OP right enough :D
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    W
    I felt for her doing that job.

Don't. They aren't forced to do the job which is causing, at best, inconvenience and at worst, harrassment of the general public.

Wish it could be organised where, if a call is from an *out of area*, *unknown* or *held back* number, the reciever gets half the cost of the phone call. Then they could stay on all day >:(
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just had a call centre on the phone expecting me to answer questions to a "survey" - usual witheld number

As always, I tell them that I only do paid-for surverys and will rhappily respond to their survey for £25 per 15 minutes or part thereof.

Rather than the usual mumble and phone down, this time I got a real rant and threat that they report me to the police for "criminal extortion". I still refused, more threats then call closed by them...

Anyone else think £25 per 15 minutes is unreasonable for information that clear has value to them?

PMSL!......I think that's perfectly reasonable, innovative and hilarious! :D:D:D

Ask for their credit card details next time.;-)
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    PMSL!......I think that's perfectly reasonable, innovative and hilarious! :D:D:D

Ask for their credit card details next time.;-)

:D Or tell them that you work for Microsoft and they have a virus on their computer!
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wonder if that crap was on their script ?
  • panic roompanic room Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    Oh my I have annoyingly received many calls asking me to answer questions that will only take a few minutes. All the callers have Indian accents but introduce themselves as "John" or "Angela".

Several questions about how old my car/washing machine/TV are then a question about which charity I would donate to out of 4 or 5 choices, then several days later I receive a call from a professional donations caller representing the charity of my choice from the survey.

In the past I had a call from India saying I had a virus on my computer I said I was busy at the moment and he got rather shirty practically demanding I put the laptop on and follow his instructions - we all know they then charge a fee for a new password so you can use the computer.
  • scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive told them many times if they want my information and are going to sell it on to companies for £ then they have to pay for it in the first place.

they tend to put the phone down at that point
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

£20 is the going rate so yeah, a tad steep.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Own up, you really asked for a meerkat and a jar of swarfega
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We never answer the phone to unknown or witheld numbers so I dont get to annoy these people but maybe I should It should be my new hobby!
  • No-OneNo-One Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mum had one a while back. She went along with it but then gave a false name at the end. Within a couple of weeks she started getting junk mail addressed to the false name that she gave. She puts it back in the post marked "not known at this address".
  • Larry_KirstenLarry_Kirsten Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    howard h wrote: »
    Don't. They aren't forced to do the job which is causing, at best, inconvenience and at worst, harrassment of the general public.

Wish it could be organised where, if a call is from an *out of area*, *unknown* or *held back* number, the reciever gets half the cost of the phone call. Then they could stay on all day >:(

Buy an 070 'personal' number and chat to em for as long as you like and make money at the same time. :)
  • TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Have you had the first call yet?
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you give them a false name and address, great, but please make sure it can't be a real one or the poor sods will be bombarded!

One good one to use is the mail address on the thousand Virgin Media mailshots you get. It's always on the back of the envelope.

Start with your name.. Theo Cupier.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely you need to keep a database of known local addresses no longer occupied !

The ultimate one would be the address to either the local plod or council, but obviously no mention that the said location is what it is!
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do most people answer the phone with just a 'Hello?' or do they give a name?

As soon as anyone sounds like they are trying to sell me something I put the phone down.
  • SambdaSambda Posts: 6,184
    Forum Member
    It's about time the phone companies offered a free service to block number-withheld calls. I know they offer a charged service, but the infrastructure exists to do this for free - so what is the charge for? So much inconvenience is called by these calls, what is Ofcom doing to protect us from them? How's about they make the phone companies offer this service for free?

Like most of these Of--- companies, they're bloody useless.
  • Eagle9aEagle9a Posts: 20,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sambda wrote: »
    It's about time the phone companies offered a free service to block number-withheld calls. I know they offer a charged service, but the infrastructure exists to do this for free - so what is the charge for? So much inconvenience is called by these calls, what is Ofcom doing to protect us from them? How's about they make the phone companies offer this service for free?

Like most of these Of--- companies, they're bloody useless.

TPS is free and effective, although it dosent stop overseas call centres. Also I'm not sure I would want a total block on "no number calls" since some do originate for genuine reasons eg. someone calling back from an office which only has a switchboard connection.
  • academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andrew1954 wrote: »

They have no right to be angry at anthing the public says. They intrude on people's privacy. That's ill mannered and unwanted behaviour. Nobody cares about their crappy pfoducts or their time consuming surveys - why can't they understand that?