An Ipad Mini has arrived and I didn't pay for it?

Comments

• HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    Are you on a wind-up?

Somewhat strange comments to a stranger on a forum.

Not really, but this isn't the 1970's. It beggars belief somebody comes on here asking why they've received an Ipad, and they haven't checked this sort of thing first?

Clearly, I'm the mad one for staying on top of my financial affairs. Yep, totally mad.
  • fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Not really, but this isn't the 1970's. It beggars belief somebody comes on here asking why they've received an Ipad, and they haven't checked this sort of thing first?

Clearly, I'm the mad one for staying on top of my financial affairs. Yep, totally mad.

Well it does look like you have come here to rub it in and say things like I was asking for it etc and basically I guess to put me down, also the payments haven't been taken yet as they are all pending and so when I checked my balance nothing had been taken. So you should maybe think before you post.

Well I hope that one day it does happen to you so that you can know how it feels then I will come along and do the same to you.

Also you were not alive in the 70's so why reference that era.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fhs man 2 wrote: »
    Well it does look like you have come here to rub it in and say things like I was asking for it etc and basically I guess to put me down, also the payments haven't been taken yet as they are all pending and so when I checked my balance nothing had been taken. So you should maybe think before you post..

:confused:

This doesn't make an ounce of sense. What do you mean?

How can payment for a laptop computer (and a bunch of phone top-ups over a period of time) be pending when the goods have already been delivered?

Well I hope that one day it does happen to you so that you can know how it feels then I will come along and do the same to you.

You think you're the first person this has happened to?

It's happened to me before when my card was skimmed at a petrol station. Because I pay attention to my account I noticed the same day that my card was being used to order stuff in India and promptly canceled it.

They'd only managed to spend £80 and I got that back within a week.
    Also you were not alive in the 70's so why reference that era.

:confused:

So by this logic, I can't reference anything that happened before 1989?
    Forum Member
    Are you on a wind-up?

I agree, but you get some ignorant people who enjoy being nosy and like putting in their opinion when it is not needed. He must not have a good life if he gets a thrill off putting me down on forums. Shame to have people like him online.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, but you get some ignorant people who enjoy being nosy and like putting in their opinion when it is not needed. He must not have a good life if he gets a thrill off putting me down on forums. Shame to have people like him online.

I'm not trying to put you down and I apologise if I came across as terse, but maybe this sort of thing might snap you into taking control of your affairs!

I just can't believe somebody could be so.. lax? In this day and age where just about everybody has been a victim of card fraud at some point or another. I can't believe I'm the only one who would see this as odd.
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,158
    Forum Member
    I check my account via online banking if not every day, then every other day. For me personally it's important. Someone had cloned my card a few months back and started spending, if I hadn't have checked my account or just relied on paper statements, they could have taken a lot more and I just wouldn't have known.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    My dad had his bank account hacked. It got flagged up because they tried to open a catalogue account with the details but there was already an account registered to the address, very lucky! The police said that it is a scam where the delivery is intercepted.
    When I purchase anything online I have to put in a password, the box comes up after every purchase. I think it is called verified by... I registered to it when I opened my bank account.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Contacted bank and the card has been cancelled someone has got my details and have been continuously topping up phone and their are lots of pending transactions on my account. I have been told to contact the fraud department in the morning. :(

The dress was unrelated and was ordered by my brother it was around £8. I have been very unlucky recently.
    i hope you get all your money back.
    Ah, so you're one of these people who doesn't regularly check their bank balance/online statement then?

You only have yourself to blame. Sorry if that sounds a little harsh but I just can't believe in this day and age some people still only check their statements quarterly, or not at all.

i`m in favour of blaming the person/s who did the actual stealing, not the victim because that`s just daft.
  • MutterMutter Posts: 3,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you on a wind-up?

Why is he on a wind up, he's talking perfect sense. In fact I'd go one step further and get a mini statement each day from an ATM which is even more current than on line.
    For young people who are supposed to be so tech savvy, you sound very dated not having on line banking OP.
    You must have cash to flash if you didn't notice the price of an ipad had left your account. Then the dress thing as well shows you were completely in the dark as to the state of it. Had you had online banking you could have checked all this out in seconds. If online is a step too far then at least get phone banking.

I don't know why Hypnodisc got shot down for giving you good advice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    You must have clicked on an ad on DS.

Expect some hot girls in your area to be round before the week is out.
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i`m in favour of blaming the person/s who did the actual stealing, not the victim because that`s just daft.
    That can only go so far. After all, why should I lock my doors and windows when I leave the house, why can't burgulars learn not to steal?

Asking people to take precautions so as to minimise their chances of becoming a victim of a crime is not victim blaming, it is just common sense.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    That can only go so far. After all, why should I lock my doors and windows when I leave the house, why can't burgulars learn not to steal?

Asking people to take precautions so as to minimise their chances of becoming a victim of a crime is not victim blaming, it is just common sense.

you only have yourself to blame is.

i`m no lawyer but i can`t see "it was his own fault" standing up in a court of law as a defence.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Hope the dress fits your brother...lol

But back on track, hope everything gets sorted. Inform John Lewis that this ipad was purchased as a result of fraud, but keep hold of it until you've been refunded by your bank. Or you could end up no iPad and no money.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Considering it was my computer that was hacked and all the charges were online then I don't think that would be a good idea.

TSB offer free statements.

Why do you assume your computer was hacked? Have you any evidence for this? For example if you scan with an anti virus program or something like Malwarebytes do they throw up any suspicious files that might be responsible?
  • michael37michael37 Posts: 2,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Contacted bank and the card has been cancelled someone has got my details and have been continuously topping up phone and their are lots of pending transactions on my account. I have been told to contact the fraud department in the morning. :(

The dress was unrelated and was ordered by my brother it was around £8. I have been very unlucky recently.

Sorry to hear that. Thankfully the Banks usually cover all losses from online transactions.

I'd advise getting in touch with John Lewis to explain the situation. They will probably be happy to take the item back and refund your money. They will probably also be able to put a stop on the account if there are any pending orders - you might need a crime reference number for that.
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And its probably understandable considering how other forum members have rounded upon the OP for not doing something so basic when it comes to personal finance. In the same way that if I flashed off an iPhone in public and then got mugged, people would sympathise but would also question if it was wise to flash an expensive phone around in public. Of course, going in the opposite direction and being completely paranoid and never doing anything because of the fear of crime would just rob you of the gift of life.

Crime occurs when both the victim and perpetrator create the right environment for it to occur. Crime prevention is like a risk assessment, you minimise the risk of becoming a victim. Removing all personal responsibility for your own actions is a road to foolishness and futility which will be used to the advantage of the criminal. That's human nature.
  • MutterMutter Posts: 3,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

i`m no lawyer but i can`t see "it was his own fault" standing up in a court of law as a defence.
    It's a figure of speech! Just as there are no real eggs in baskets or bridges to cross. Nor indeed anyone living in glass houses.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Point taken re that specific use of language - clearly the actual person who did it is to blame, and I apologise for how it came across.

The rest of what I said still stands though.
    Forum Member
    Mutter wrote: »
    Why is he on a wind up, he's talking perfect sense. In fact I'd go one step further and get a mini statement each day from an ATM which is even more current than on line.
    For young people who are supposed to be so tech savvy, you sound very dated not having on line banking OP.
    You must have cash to flash if you didn't notice the price of an ipad had left your account. Then the dress thing as well shows you were completely in the dark as to the state of it. Had you had online banking you could have checked all this out in seconds. If online is a step too far then at least get phone banking.

I don't know why Hypnodisc got shot down for giving you good advice.

It was my computer that was hacked as all the purchases were online. The dress was completely unrelated. The money for the Ipad or Phone or Laptop has not left the account yet but are all pending transactions the only thing that went through is the odd £10 phone top up 1 or 2 of them. Who knows what they would of done if I had all my bank details online probably take everything.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    It's those little charges, like top-ups etc, you have to watch, these are the thieves testing wether the card has been stopped etc.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was my computer that was hacked as all the purchases were online.
    I'll ask again. Why are you assuming that your computer has been hacked? Just because the purchases were made online means nothing. There are a myriad of ways that your bank details could have been compromised and those details could have been used by anyone, anywhere. No need to hack into your computer at all.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Why do you assume your computer was hacked? Have you any evidence for this?

I wondered this too.

When my credit card was used fraudulently, I had a very strong suspicion that it was because a mobile phone shop salesman had used the card details and proof of address that I'd provided to buy a mobile. I've also been contacted by my card provider (on a different occasion) when my card was allegedly used in a Walmart in the USA. Again, I strongly suspect it was cloned when I used it in a shop.
  • MookleMookle Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Point taken re that specific use of language - clearly the actual person who did it is to blame, and I apologise for how it came across.

The rest of what I said still stands though.

Well I am sure he'll be far more careful in future. If this has never happened to you before then it is easy to continue in life being a bit ignorant.

Feels a bit like hittiing the OP with a big stick when he's already got a lot to deal with.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd add to what the others are saying, it is unlikely your computer has been hacked - they will have copied your card somehow.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'ts not your bank details they've got, it's a copy of your card.