So...is Elf (2003) on telly this Christmas (2016)?!

Comments

• yaristamanyaristaman Posts: 1,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zeropoint1 wrote: »
    I do think Elf has become a classic partly because of a lot of hype. I found it childish and quite pathetic too, though I find all of Will Farrell's films childish and pathetic.

Trading Places, Scrooged, Planes Trains and Automobiles, Home Alone 1 & 2 are classics with witty intelligent writing but are still good fun at the end.

Planes, Trains and Automobiles may indeed be a classic but it's not a Xmas movie.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3 years later and its on ITV1 this year o:)
  • AMCHRISPNORTH80AMCHRISPNORTH80 Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    Itv actually!
  • A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brief and to the point...is Elf (2003) on telly this year?!
    Or has Amazon snapped up exclusive rights?
    I'm too poor (and tight) to buy a tv mag!
    Please help!

Yes...yet again.
  • henryporterhenryporter Posts: 2,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 02/12/18 - 20:12 #56
    delete
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

2 years surely? Original post was December 2016, now December 2018.
  • Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member

I’d rather Sky or BBC,
    I rarely/never watch a film with Ads in if I can help it.
    Forum Member
    Handy if u have a weak bladder though!
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember a few threads people moaning its not on but it is this year.
  • Kevin1960Kevin1960 Posts: 5,485
    Forum Member
    Itv Sunday 16th 😀
  • djonshoredjonshore Posts: 4,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 07/12/18 - 12:38 #62
    Yes, ITV have scheduled it in the 18:00 to 20:00 slot on Sunday 16 December.

I wonder if it'll get the ratings though with BBC Sports Personality of the Year also on BBC one from 19:00 to 21:00 that evening.
  • Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member
    Just a quick question regarding this ,

Is Elf still available on
    Netflix and/or Amazon?
    Forum Member
    Netflix no, Amazon Prime yes. I'm surprised itv are only showing it once.
  • H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Netflix no, Amazon Prime yes. I'm surprised itv are only showing it once.

Its on ITV2 Christmas Day at 5pm.
    Forum Member
    Fair enough!
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will ITV do an impossible censorship.
    When she is in the shower singing, Baby It’s Cold Outside?
  • H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    djonshore wrote: »

I wonder if it'll get the ratings though with BBC Sports Personality of the Year also on BBC one from 19:00 to 21:00 that evening.

It should attract the family audience. I thnk it'll be good for 4-5million.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Are there any sports personalities this year ?
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edited 15/12/18 - 22:27 #70

ITV seem to be showing s few movies over Christmas this year that are also part of the Amazon Prime fee. Wonder if they have maybe done a deal with Amazon to show some movies.
    Although I think Elf is an ok movie my favourite Christmas movie is Jingle All The Way and I see that’s on Channel 4 morrow afternoon. So I may watch that for the 3rd or 4th time.
    I got Jingle All The Way on DVD a few years back in a sale.
    I gave up watching the BBC Sports Personally Of The Year a few years ago.
    I don’t watch much TV on a Sunday night and it’s been that way for a while now. I usually listen to the radio on a Sunday night for a few hours and record what I want to watch or watch it on catch up a day or two later.

Darren

• snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I’ve never actually seen Elf, might have a look tonight to see what the fuss is about but from the trailers I have seen it looks crap.
  • PlektrumPlektrum Posts: 1,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ney wrote: »

ITV seem to be showing s few movies over Christmas this year that are also part of the Amazon Prime fee. Wonder if they have maybe done a deal with Amazon to show some movies.
    Although I think Elf is an ok movie my favourite Christmas movie is Jingle All The Way and I see that’s on Channel 4 morrow afternoon. So I may watch that for the 3rd or 4th time.
    I got Jingle All The Way on DVD a few years back in a sale.
    I gave up watching the BBC Sports Personally Of The Year a few years ago.
    I don’t watch much TV on a Sunday night and it’s been that way for a while now. I usually listen to the radio on a Sunday night for a few hours and record what I want to watch or watch it on catch up a day or two later.

Darren

Unlikely it’s a deal with Amazon - More likely that Amazon have an SVOD and ITV have broadcast TV rights via a separate deal - it’s not uncommon for an older film to be on SVOD and broadcast TV at the same time and I would imagine Elf, being the apparent big deal it is now (and I still don’t get it - it’s perfectly ok and not much more than that) offers the current distributor opportunities to maximise all revenue streams at this time of year.
  • A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    snafu65 wrote: »
    I’ve never actually seen Elf, might have a look tonight to see what the fuss is about but from the trailers I have seen it looks crap.

If it quacks and waddles then it’s a Duck, if you know in advance from your gut instinct, then your right.

It’s a 15 year old film to a niche audience.
  • scoobiesnacksscoobiesnacks Posts: 3,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did ITV cut bits out of Elf? The before and after breaks felt disjointed
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    About a decade ago Channel 4 used to show it on the Sunday about 10 days before Christmas.This was for about a couple of years. I then noticed that Sky seemed to just show it.
  • CursumPerficioCursumPerficio Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    snafu65 wrote: »

I watched it for the first time a few years ago to see what all the fuss was about and while I thought it was a nice enough Christmas film with some funny moments I do admit the hype surrounding it baffles me. I guess it just hit a sweet spot with a certain generation, like Home Alone and The Muppets Christmas Carol did with mine.