Options

Steal a loaf of bread go to jail, Steal by way of misselling and you get off free?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Monkey_MooMonkey_Moo Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    Mr Dos wrote: »
    Who steals bread? Buying bread is the cover for stealing small high value stuff - cheese, coffee etc.

Meat. It's all about the £15 joints of meat these days ;-)
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Monkey_Moo wrote: »
    Meat. It's all about the £15 joints of meat these days ;-)
    Ha! You have to stuff it in a Lidl cool bag and see if you can knock in out to a man in the pub in the next couple of hours :D
  • Options
    HurlleyHurlley Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monkey_Moo wrote: »
    They do.

As for the OP, I see what they are saying and I am quite sympathetic to their point.

While the practises seen on Watchdog are not technical theft, they are usually in breach of civil trading laws and occasionally low level fraud. When more serious, the net effect on the victim is the same as a straightforward theft would be, they are still out of pocket at the end of the day. It's vastly more complicated than that in reality, but I think the legislation could do with an update to protect people a little more.

This is what I'm struggling to word correctly. I used watchdog as the example as thats. Simple Shop Theft is so easily defined and prosecuted accordingly. But the likes of the people on Watchdog where they could simply take the money and either not do a good job, or nothing at all. They are basically stealing but not getting prosecuted or at least certainly the repercussions are not equal.

Good example is during the London riots someone went into a shop and stole a bottle of water and now has a criminal record, but the above do they get a criminal record?

The same is happening on a larger scale with businesses e.g. VW emissions scandal, or The whole financial crash even, Tescos financial lies and now recently BT with their italian side business accounting scandal. No doubt this is going on in a lot of places just not come to light.