Hollyoaks general discussion (Part 11)

Comments

• PlantPlant Posts: 11,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thing I don't get about the Ste and Doug storyline is that according to interviews the endgame is them being successful in setting up a business.

In that case, why are they are being written as a couple of buffoons? Surely they should be showing some talent, nous or proficiency by now. Or are we expected to take from it that any idiot can set up a business and make it a success?
  • avon942avon942 Posts: 18,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rain wrote: »
    Liberty was quite funny tonight.

I haven't enjoyed the George plot half as much since Maddie joined in the storyline. Would have been better if it was Tilly in her place.

I think the reason maddie was used is because it may have similar connection to her storyline regarding her parents/background. I think that's why she was pushing so hard for George to reunite with his parents, there's some issue with her own parents but i'm not sure what exactly but that's what I took tonight's E4 to mean.

Also I don't think tilly could have took her place as I think maddie is closer to George and didn't she meet him at a fashion market or something? So she must have been the one to introduce George to the other 6th forms I think unless I got that wrong.

Its all a little bit confusing!:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    npd6900 wrote: »
    I agree, he was good in HO Later. Further proof it's more to do with writing

And I also think that James stepped up knowing that he'd be involved in the biggest storyline of the year.

Also, Plant, if you have time, you should definitely watch Later, it's still on 4OD. It demonstrated how great Hollyoaks can be, when they get the characters, storylines and pacing in sync with each other.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    Really enjoyed tonights episode, the ending of the George story being my favourite bit - shame it all went so quickly! Agree with people about the pacing.

Just a couple of things, I also thought as soon as she mentioned the prank calls that it was the calls George tried to make and had to hang up.

Secondly, I know a lot of people have mentioned how they don't feel it was Maddie or Calums place to tell his parents he was alive... I can guarantee that if I was in the postion, where the parents of my best friend believed their son was dead, my conscience wouldn't allow me not to tell them, I agree it would have been better to come from the son but if you genuinely believed he wasn't going to tell them could you let them go on thinking he is dead when you know different?

Also take it mobs is now a florist or something when Mitzeee was talking to mercedes they were standing beside it?
  • paton1983paton1983 Posts: 2,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not posted here in a long time. Firstly, I'm pleased to see Hollyoaks promoting themselves with continuous adverts on channel 4 but, please, don't give the entire storyline away! This weekend I was able to find out that George was free from Deena and that he was originally called Andrew, presumed dead. Teasers, people! That's what we want. Not storylines condensed in to 30seconds!
    The college students continue to entertain me. Great to see the Annalise love - she has been a favourite of mine since arriving. Hollyoaks always needs a snobby girl stuck in a new environment (stand-out example from the past is Izzy). I originally liked Scottas I thought his characer appeared quite shy and nervous but I've realised that this is the actors continual deliverance of scripts which is getting a wee bit tedious for me.
    Keep reading that people are wanting to see Brendan in a new storyline soon. I'm sorry but hasn't he featured extremely heavily since his arrival? He still has little continuing storylines as a ssecondary character at the moment. What about Cindy? Tony? Their last 'big' storylines seemed to be filler stories during filler episodes! Maybe there is room for them if stories were directed away from 6th form for a while.
    I'm sure it was on digitalspy that i seen an interview, possibly Emma Smithwick, who said that the reason people appear off screen for lengthy periods of time is due to their filming technique (multi-camera) and schedule (several directors working on 2 eps each within a 2week block). I'm sorry, but Hollyoaks have filmed like this since the beginning (please correct me if im mistaken) and I don't ever remember such an obvious exclusion of so many characters for extended periods.
    In relation to storyline this evening - loved Mitzeee! She set up a situation where Carmel and Riley would see Mercedes priorities instead of trying to talk sense in to them.
    Bring back the book group! We now have Annalise to join them!
    I also missed a couple of weeks last month. What happened to Ally? Gay/straight? And why has he gone?
  • StarryNightStarryNight Posts: 7,289
    Forum Member
    LouR87 wrote: »
    Really enjoyed tonights episode, the ending of the George story being my favourite bit - shame it all went so quickly! Agree with people about the pacing.

Just a couple of things, I also thought as soon as she mentioned the prank calls that it was the calls George tried to make and had to hang up.

Secondly, I know a lot of people have mentioned how they don't feel it was Maddie or Calums place to tell his parents he was alive... I can guarantee that if I was in the postion, where the parents of my best friend believed their son was dead, my conscience wouldn't allow me not to tell them, I agree it would have been better to come from the son but if you genuinely believed he wasn't going to tell them could you let them go on thinking he is dead when you know different?

Also take it mobs is now a florist or something when Mitzeee was talking to mercedes they were standing beside it?

I agree. How could anyone live with themselves knowing that and letting those people go through that pain? Surprisingly Maddie was right, she gave George a push that he needed. If I was in her or Callum's shoes I would have told George's parents too rather than have them think that their son had committed suicide, damn right I would have.

I thought that this weeks storyline with George has been fantastic and all the actors involved have been fantastic. This is the side of Maddie that makes me like her and its nice to see it back.

ETA. What's this I hear about Texas leaving? Any news/sources for this?
  • TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    Also, how do you get meningitis? The Ash storyline...
    I have no idea. I had meningitis when I was a baby and I have no idea how I got it. I know my grandad had it at one point when he was alive so I guess one way could be through genetics.
  • ReoReo Posts: 8,648
    Forum Member
    I agree. How could anyone live with themselves knowing that and letting those people go through that pain? Surprisingly Maddie was right, she gave George a push that he needed. If I was in her or Callum's shoes I would have told George's parents too rather than have them think that their son had committed suicide, damn right I would have.

I thought that this weeks storyline with George has been fantastic and all the actors involved have been fantastic. This is the side of Maddie that makes me like her and its nice to see it back.

In my opinion I don't think they should have gone to the house without George. They knew George wanted to see his parents he was just scared of seeing them and their reaction, he wanted to do it, he just needed support. They should have found him and talked to him about his fears and help him get through it, all together. They shouldn't have gone to the house without him, that wasn't their place. I do think that if George refused to do it, then they should have gone to the house, but they knew that George wanted to go, he was just scared, he needed their support, not for them to leave him and do it themselves.
  • Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Reo wrote: »
    He took someone else's ID.. So George Smith exists, it is just someone else.

Doesn't really explain it though does it and you can't just find someone's ID and decide to be them - and the real person would probably be looking for his ID, plus it's fraud!!

And to get into sixth form to do A Levels, he'd need his GCSE results. Courses have minimum requirements, as George Smith he wouldn't have that. The real one might, but he doesn't. And it doesn't explain the bank account, NI number and being able to get a job.
    garyessex wrote: »
    Interesting how 6 months ago George was detested as the worst new sixth former and we all agreed Maddie and Tilly had the best potential..how things change. Except Neil..everyone still rightly believes he's an annoying ****.

They've completely re-written the teens. When they all arrived they were all exagerated stereotypes, they are all still stereotypes but they've dropped the annoying and cringeworthy "hashtag" Jonno thing, well and truely toned down George - odd when he was homeless he had such a prisitine appearance and flamboyant endless wardrobe of clothes. George when he first arrived was a very stereotype camp gay guy, not really a problem, but that's all he was. There was nothing else to him.

Tilly annoys me, she's little miss perfect. The one with all the answers, full of wisdom, never does any wrong. Annoying!
    Neil.....well he's Neil.
    Maddie was a bitch when she arrived and they've seriously exagerated that. But they've done it in a way where it's not love to hate, which it's supposed to be. Doesn't help that the "crying" is pathetic and the character is so self self centred, I'm suprised she can even see other people!
    Vanessa73 wrote: »
    It's like Will had a personality transplant! :eek::p

Something that's not uncommon in Hollyoaks! :D
    lillabet wrote: »
    I don't think he'd have been on a missing person site, as far as they were concerned he was dead.

It would've taken time for his parents and the police to find where his clothes were and assume the worst. Before that happened they would've been searching and when a 15/16 year old disappears, it gets press attention - certainly locally! And they'd have been search parties out for him until they discovered the clothes and George's belongings at the bottom of the cliff. From there, I'd assume divers would try and find his body, with the very vague hope that they atleast find him in order to give his family closure.
    I don't like that Maddie is going to George's parents, I can understand the support and gentle pressure to get George to contact his parents, but Maddie is pushing him too hard and then when he broke, she has decided to do it herself. It's really not her business. They should have found George and spoken to him again, they know George wants to see his parents now he knows the truth, they just have to help him with it, not take over and tell them without George there.

That's not Maddie's place to do that! It's upto George and george only. No one can force him into it if he doesn't want to, only encourage him and be there every step of the way.

Busy week for George this week! :eek: He's held captive about to go through an awful ordeal, saved, runs away from police/ambulance with no difficulty whatsoever (as if Hollyoaks!!), goes back to Callum, reveals all to Maddie, a little adventure retracing his last steps when he ranaway, found out he was "dead", all is 'explained' about Andrew, Pheobe goes to some woman, Maddie goes in search of George's parents, finds them and George is reunited with his parents! Woah, what a week for George!! I think he needs a lie down!

Not seen E4, but how does maddie know where to find George's parents?
    Forum Member
    In my opinion I don't think they should have gone to the house without George. They knew George wanted to see his parents he was just scared of seeing them and their reaction, he wanted to do it, he just needed support. They should have found him and talked to him about his fears and help him get through it, all together. They shouldn't have gone to the house without him, that wasn't their place. I do think that if George refused to do it, then they should have gone to the house, but they knew that George wanted to go, he was just scared, he needed their support, not for them to leave him and do it themselves.

But he left them a note saying he wasn't going to do it. To be honest my immediate thought was that one of them should go in and tell his parents incase suddenley seeing them would be too much for them and they'd collapse or something.

Believing your child killed themselves is worse than what George went through to be fair, they were totally right to want to tell them. It was the right thing to do. George may be their friend but his rash decision to let his parents go on believing he was dead was wrong, obviously he changed his mind but they didn't know that.
  • BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 23,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paton1983 wrote: »
    Not posted here in a long time. Firstly, I'm pleased to see Hollyoaks promoting themselves with continuous adverts on channel 4 but, please, don't give the entire storyline away! This weekend I was able to find out that George was free from Deena and that he was originally called Andrew, presumed dead. Teasers, people! That's what we want. Not storylines condensed in to 30seconds!
    Exactly. I can't help but think how much better the last couple of episodes would have been if they hadn't aired that promo - and can't understand why they spoilered it when none of us had a clue about the twist, or had even speculated he might be dead.
    The college students continue to entertain me. Great to see the Annalise love - she has been a favourite of mine since arriving. Hollyoaks always needs a snobby girl stuck in a new environment (stand-out example from the past is Izzy). I originally liked Scottas I thought his characer appeared quite shy and nervous but I've realised that this is the actors continual deliverance of scripts which is getting a wee bit tedious for me.
    The great thing about Annalise is she is that posh girl but isn't rip off of Izzy, Geri and all those that have gone before her, just like Brendan isn't a rip-off of all the villians that have come and gone in Hollyoaks over the years.
    I'm sure it was on digitalspy that i seen an interview, possibly Emma Smithwick, who said that the reason people appear off screen for lengthy periods of time is due to their filming technique (multi-camera) and schedule (several directors working on 2 eps each within a 2week block). I'm sorry, but Hollyoaks have filmed like this since the beginning (please correct me if im mistaken) and I don't ever remember such an obvious exclusion of so many characters for extended periods.
    Hollyoaks have always rotated storylines and had people off screen for weeks in some cases, but it is definately more noticeable at the moment with the bigger cast and as you say the apparent focus on the teens. I've always thought it quite a good thing to let a story and a character rest and you tune in on Monday (or Fridays now) and get a new storyline as the focus of the show, but they certainly need to make better use of their cast - and trim it down a bit. I really don't understand the increased number of characters over the last year or so when they haven't had any episodes added and aren't exactly hitting ratings highs so have money to spare.
  • avon942avon942 Posts: 18,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree and I understand why maddie decided to go and tell he's parents. Although to be fair even maddie thought it was a bad idea when they were in the house -she changed her mind! I was glad that George was reunited with he's parents in the end though so it was all worth it.
    Forum Member
    But he left them a note saying he wasn't going to do it. To be honest my immediate thought was that one of them should go in and tell his parents incase suddenley seeing them would be too much for them and they'd collapse or something.

Believing your child killed themselves is worse than what George went through to be fair, they were totally right to want to tell them. It was the right thing to do. George may be their friend but his rash decision to let his parents go on believing he was dead was wrong, obviously he changed his mind but they didn't know that.

George walked them to the house, they stood outside, he just backed out at the last second. Just because he left a note, it doesn't mean that he couldn't have been talked into it. They should have tried to find him and then talked to him, see what he is thinking and feeling, support him and try and talk him into going back. He only just found out that his parents thought he was dead, originally for months he believed that they didn't care and now he has to deal with the guilt. Maddie and Callum knew where the house was, there was nothing stopping them from going back later that day or the next day after talking to George and knowing that he wasn't going to go.

But they decided straight away to go to the house and tell his parents themselves. It was something that George needed to do himself.
    Forum Member
    George walked them to the house, they stood outside, he just backed out at the last second. Just because he left a note, it doesn't mean that he couldn't have been talked into it. They should have tried to find him and then talked to him, see what he is thinking and feeling, support him and try and talk him into going back. He only just found out that his parents thought he was dead, originally for months he believed that they didn't care and now he has to deal with the guilt. Maddie and Callum knew where the house was, there was nothing stopping them from going back later that day or the next day after talking to George and knowing that he wasn't going to go.

But they decided straight away to go to the house and tell his parents themselves. It was something that George needed to do himself.

Its not just about George. His parents and his siblings thought he was dead...worse than that, they thought he had killed himself. I'd take guilt and shock any day over thinking my child had thrown themselves off a cliff and the guilt of thinking they could have done something about it. Unfortunately its not something I can be objective about so I have no doubt in my mind they did they right thing, if you can spare someone that pain then you should. There's hardly anything more tragic to go through. I wouldn't wait one afternoon or one day before putting someone out of that hellish belief.
  • laurenlawsonlaurenlawson Posts: 2,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hollyoaks has been awful this week.
  • laurenlawsonlaurenlawson Posts: 2,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I miss India. :(
    Forum Member
    Its not just about George. His parents and his siblings thought he was dead...worse than that, they thought he had killed himself. I'd take guilt and shock any day over thinking my child had thrown themselves off a cliff and the guilt of thinking they could have done something about it. Unfortunately its not something I can be objective about so I have no doubt in my mind they did they right thing, if you can spare someone that pain then you should. There's hardly anything more tragic to go through. I wouldn't wait one afternoon or one day before putting someone out of that hellish belief.

I'm not saying that the parents should never have been told, but we are talking hours. Maddie and Callum finding George and talking him into seeing his parents. He wanted to do it before and they knew that, they all also knew that his family would be grieving for him, if they had tried they could have talked George into going to his parents that day.

Two strangers going to the house to tell people they don't know that their son is alive isn't a great plan, not when they could have talked George into going himself (and them coming along), instead of having the parents getting upset and accuse Maddie and Callum of lying, George would be there.

I can't imagine what it would be like to think your kid killed themselves, but for me I don't think Maddie and Callum should have gone to the house unless they knew George wouldn't. All they knew is that he was scared, which is something they could have helped him with.
  • paton1983paton1983 Posts: 2,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brekkie wrote: »
    Exactly. I can't help but think how much better the last couple of episodes would have been if they hadn't aired that promo - and can't understand why they spoilered it when none of us had a clue about the twist, or had even speculated he might be dead.

The great thing about Annalise is she is that posh girl but isn't rip off of Izzy, Geri and all those that have gone before her, just like Brendan isn't a rip-off of all the villians that have come and gone in Hollyoaks over the years.

Hollyoaks have always rotated storylines and had people off screen for weeks in some cases, but it is definately more noticeable at the moment with the bigger cast and as you say the apparent focus on the teens. I've always thought it quite a good thing to let a story and a character rest and you tune in on Monday (or Fridays now) and get a new storyline as the focus of the show, but they certainly need to make better use of their cast - and trim it down a bit. I really don't understand the increased number of characters over the last year or so when they haven't had any episodes added and aren't exactly hitting ratings highs so have money to spare.

BIB 1 - I don't tend to look at spoilers often so was really surprised when I first seen the trailer. Shocked that it wasn't spoilered previously either. Well done to the publicity team for ruining it for everyone(!)

BIB 2 - Characters are often brought in as replacements for others but need their own characteristics to define them. It has worked for Annalise and Brendan (besides many more). Unfortunately it doesn't work for everyone. IE Esther was brought in to replace Steph - with the twist of being a lesbian. The character has been well received but the storylines just haven't been able to develop her anymore after her initial introduction. It also happened with Ricky and Duncan. Replace Max & OB but beyond their comedy element they didn't quite know what to do with them.
    Forum Member
    I'm not saying that the parents should never have been told, but we are talking hours. Maddie and Callum finding George and talking him into seeing his parents. He wanted to do it before and they knew that, they all also knew that his family would be grieving for him, if they had tried they could have talked George into going to his parents that day.

Two strangers going to the house to tell people they don't know that their son is alive isn't a great plan, not when they could have talked George into going himself (and them coming along), instead of having the parents getting upset and accuse Maddie and Callum of lying, George would be there.

I can't imagine what it would be like to think your kid killed themselves, but for me I don't think Maddie and Callum should have gone to the house unless they knew George wouldn't. All they knew is that he was scared, which is something they could have helped him with.

Well I disagree completely. I think anytime spent thinking that someone you love has killed themselves is too long if it isn't true. They thought he'd gone, he told them he had so why would they think they could find him there when they couldn't before in Hollyoaks? They were told by George he wasn't going to do it and they believed it obviously. Anyway we disagree but it could just keep going on like this, not that I don't enjoy reading your thoughts and opinions but im off to bed now. Goodnight :)
    Forum Member
    Well I disagree completely. I think anytime spent thinking that someone you love has killed themselves is too long if it isn't true. They thought he'd gone, he told them he had so why would they think they could find him there when they couldn't before in Hollyoaks? They were told by George he wasn't going to do it and they believed it obviously. Anyway we disagree but it could just keep going on like this, not that I don't enjoy reading your thoughts and opinions but im off to bed now. Goodnight :)

Would the same thing be said if Callum and Maddie were at the house but George for some reason was back in Hollyoaks, but on his way there? He would take a few hours to get to the house, but Callum and Maddie are already there, so they should tell his parents instead of waiting for George to do it himself?

There have been a lot of different opinions on this, I don't think that Maddie and Callum should have done it, I kind of understand other people's opinions, but they are George's parents and he just needed a little help from his friends.
  • victoria1961victoria1961 Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    What does Liberty do? She doesn't appear to be in either Sixth Form nor in a job?

Mitzeee is boring now. I preferred her when she was chasing fame, that was amusing.
  • cyrilandshirleycyrilandshirley Posts: 48,569
    Forum Member
    Plant wrote: »
    The thing I don't get about the Ste and Doug storyline is that according to interviews the endgame is them being successful in setting up a business.

In that case, why are they are being written as a couple of buffoons? Surely they should be showing some talent, nous or proficiency by now. Or are we expected to take from it that any idiot can set up a business and make it a success?

Because they're playing it for laughs. And I am laughing, a lot. Ste and Doug are both hilarious, the actors have genuine comic timing. But if you look past it, it's also obvious that Doug can really do the business and Ste can cook, so I'm sure Uncle Tony will sort them out.
    paton1983 wrote: »
    Keep reading that people are wanting to see Brendan in a new storyline soon. I'm sorry but hasn't he featured extremely heavily since his arrival? He still has little continuing storylines as a ssecondary character at the moment. What about Cindy? Tony? Their last 'big' storylines seemed to be filler stories during filler episodes! Maybe there is room for them if stories were directed away from 6th form for a while.

Having seen what I saw/dozed through last night, I can honestly say I'd rather watch Brendan every night from here to eternity than watch any more sentimental schmalzy manipulative "WE ARE FAMILY" teen tripe. It makes me gag. I realise that puts me out of step with most posters on here now. I prefer a storyline with some balls. If I hear that song again, I will shoot my television.

But yes, I'd adore Cindy to get a storyline. :) She's a brilliant character, really underused. Sparky but human. Way, way rather that than watch any more Mercedes.

On the plus side, Liberty having a shagover with Rob was hilarious.

So, HO, my wish list is, more Ste and Doug, more Brendan, more Cindy, more Liberty, more making me laugh, and a lot lot less of the melodramatic teen emoting, ideally none. Pretty please. With a cherry on top.

I'll get me coat.
  • mojo5000mojo5000 Posts: 54,086
    Forum Member
    Having seen what I saw/dozed through last night, I can honestly say I'd rather watch Brendan every night from here to eternity than watch any more sentimental schmalzy manipulative "WE ARE FAMILY" teen tripe. It makes me gag. I realise that puts me out of step with most posters on here now. I prefer a storyline with some balls. If I hear that song again, I will shoot my television.

Maybe I'm as cold hearted as you :D because I felt it was as eye-rollingly lame as that slow-mo moment in the summer when Sinead, Bart and Jason all came home in the rain to the heart-sting-tugging sounds of Adele. And I stared blankly at the screen, blinking.

Whilst I loved the first escape from Deena's and I do think George is a tolerable character now and Steven is alright at acting, this week has been a total flop for me. So disappointing. And I thought the spoiler pictures looked great. I think I might have been more moved if the supporting cast had been less lifeless.
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 29,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really didn`t get rob and annalise. For me he was the worst boyfriend ever. everything he did for her was mostly other people like scott doing it and him taking the credit. In fact the only thing i saw him buy her was them flowers and wouldnt be surprised if someone else chose them for him. The guy is complete tool.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plant wrote: »
    I didn't watch Later so to me Riley commits the cardinal sin of making Mitzeee boring. I'm hoping something unexpected happens in that storyline because right now it is dull. I can't see a kiss and a slap is going to make it any more fascinating.

Without watching 'Later' Its difficult to explain the close friendship and chemistry between them and likewise difficult to understand why some people are keen to see them together as a couple. I just don't want Riley to back down with Mercedes but it looks like it happens to a degree, though I imagine it has more to do with another triangle SL and the wrath of Mercedes, than Riley and Mercedes and Riley getting back together. Well I can wish can't I?
This discussion has been closed.