Humax FoxSat HDR Sound Problem - Advice Sought

Zaphod_BZaphod_B Posts: 800
Forum Member
✭✭
Hello folks

I think that I originally posted the following in the wrong forum - so here goes

I bought two Humax FoxSat HDR 500GB boxes on 3.6.12 (one from JLP and the other from Richer Sounds). Within a few weeks the box from JLP developed a fault whereby recorded programs demostrated a "warble" in the audio - the picture was unaffected. The box replaced by JL (no quibble) but the replacement box has now developed the same fault.

Bizarrely - the second box purchased at the same time as the original box from Richer Sounds - has worked faultlessly.

So, a few questions...

1) Is this a common fault with Humax FoxSat HDR boxes?

2) If so, what would be a recommended replacement?

3) If not, have I just been unlucky?

I have tried the Samsung SMT-7800 Freesat HD but found the OS/EPG "clunky" (Humax are made by Samsung - right?)

The alternatives seem to be:

a) Samsung SMT-7800 Freesat HD

b) Echostar HDS-600RS (styling looks pants IMHO)

c) Panasonic DMR-BS880EBK (now discontinued and expensive too but is also DVD-recorder - so is it worth finding one?)

d) Sagemcom DTR94500S

Some friends of mine have a Sagemcom DTR94-320 box and had nothing good to say about it (actually they are on their second box which is also problematic), but I'd welcome input on any/all of the above.

Either that or I resurrect my Pace TDS470N and stump up £10/mth to use the recording features!

Thanks in advance

Zaph

Comments

• REPASSACREPASSAC Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zaphod_B wrote: »
    Hello folks

I think that I originally posted the following in the wrong forum - so here goes

I bought two Humax FoxSat HDR 500GB boxes on 3.6.12 (one from JLP and the other from Richer Sounds). Within a few weeks the box from JLP developed a fault whereby recorded programs demostrated a "warble" in the audio - the picture was unaffected. The box replaced by JL (no quibble) but the replacement box has now developed the same fault.

Bizarrely - the second box purchased at the same time as the original box from Richer Sounds - has worked faultlessly.

So, a few questions...

1) Is this a common fault with Humax FoxSat HDR boxes?

2) If so, what would be a recommended replacement?

3) If not, have I just been unlucky?

I have tried the Samsung SMT-7800 Freesat HD but found the OS/EPG "clunky" (Humax are made by Samsung - right?)

The alternatives seem to be:

a) Samsung SMT-7800 Freesat HD

b) Echostar HDS-600RS (styling looks pants IMHO)

c) Panasonic DMR-BS880EBK (now discontinued and expensive too but is also DVD-recorder - so is it worth finding one?)

d) Sagemcom DTR94500S

Some friends of mine have a Sagemcom DTR94-320 box and had nothing good to say about it (actually they are on their second box which is also problematic), but I'd welcome input on any/all of the above.

Either that or I resurrect my Pace TDS470N and stump up £10/mth to use the recording features!

Thanks in advance

Zaph

Firstly, no it is not a common problem.

How are both Foxsat connected and what to? Does this happen on all channels on just HD ones (Where the sound is passed encoded with the picture). Is the Foxsat near any other electrical device - even a phone?