So...is Elf (2003) on telly this Christmas (2016)?!

Comments

• AMCHRISPNORTH80AMCHRISPNORTH80 Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    Just read an article from 'The Sun' regarding this and looks like New Line Cinema decided not to hand out rights to UK tv this year. I dare say they feel by resting it for a year they will get more money next time. Funny old world!
  • the power kingthe power king Posts: 896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FusionFury wrote: »
    This is why physical media still has a role for decades to come.

Netflix and Amazon don't have it? it's ok we have the DVD to stick on..
    totally agree with you spot on and you see more of this as time goes on
  • TommyNookaTommyNooka Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nobody pays £12 for a DVD, check your local cash converters or CEX.

The price has been inflated even in those second hand shops, both the Blu-ray and the DVD are £7 in CEX with only 3 copies of the blu-ray left in the whole country, not many DVD's left either, I'm getting Washington and Newcastle as my 'local' stores and I'm in Glasgow.
    So glad I bought it before it became THE Xmas movie.
  • Baz_JamesBaz_James Posts: 4,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So it's official then? Christmas TV is bad for your Elf?
  • Zeropoint1Zeropoint1 Posts: 10,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I honestly don't understand why people are going on about a 13 year old movie being on television this year.

Reading some of the online comments elsewhere it really does come across as a generation of entitled people who want something and can't understand the word 'no'

Seriously though where is the fun in watching a movie on TV anymore?

Adverts every 20 minutes, poor quality picture, interrupted by showbiz news, cropped to 16:9 and hacked to death. A 2 hour film can drag on for well over 3 hours now!
  • Chihiro77Chihiro77 Posts: 1,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zeropoint1 wrote: »
    I honestly don't understand why people are going on about a 13 year old movie being on television this year.

Reading some of the online comments elsewhere it really does come across as a generation of entitled people who want something and can't understand the word 'no'

Seriously though where is the fun in watching a movie on TV anymore?

Adverts every 20 minutes, poor quality picture, interrupted by showbiz news, cropped to 16:9 and hacked to death. A 2 hour film can drag on for well over 3 hours now!

I think you're maybe taking the comments a bit too seriously. Am I annoyed that Elf isn't on this year? Yes. Is it the worst thing ever? No.

As for watching films on tv, a lot of people have Tivo so don't need to watch adverts.
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can never understand people who say it is not the same watching it on a DVD, why not?
  • FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elf is THE Chrisrmas movie
  • ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can never understand people who say it is not the same watching it on a DVD, why not?
    Many will be away from their home at that time of year tho visiting elderly relations who likely won't have many DVDs or access to online entertainment services.
  • Baz_JamesBaz_James Posts: 4,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Surely the whole point of watching anything on TV these days is the feeling that lots of other people are doing the very same thing at the very same time. It most surely explains why scheduled broadcasting has largely resisted the death that was predicted for it long before now.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked Elf but am a bit puzzled by its cult status, especially given Will Ferrell's career has been rather lacklustre in recent years.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw Elf in sainsburys for £4 last week, but couldn't post due to forum downtime. It was sold out in my local store today.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For those who want to recreate the watching Elf on a television channel experience there are a few simple steps you can follow -

Connect the DVD player via scart and change your televisions picture settings to 'high' or 'shop display' and aspect ratio to 'zoom'
    Pause the film every 20 minutes and wait 5 minutes before restarting.
    After an hour stop the film for 10 minutes and read Heat magazine.
    Resume film.
    10 minutes before the end of the film ensure you take another 5 minute break.
    As soon as the credits roll start talking over them by reading out the Radio times listings.
  • AMCHRISPNORTH80AMCHRISPNORTH80 Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    I am totally going to try this...
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know some like the movie Elf but I have never been to keen on the film Elf. There are better Christmas movies in my option.
    Like Jingle all the way, Santa Claus the movie and Home Alone 1 & 2.
    Even my sister don't like the movie Elf much.
    CeX store has some cheap second hand DVDs. I got Jingle all the way for £1.50 lest year from store in town.
    https://uk.webuy.com/
    Movie has since been on the likes of Christmas 24, Channel 4 as well as Netflix.

Darren
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Elf is a great Christmas film and I'm not even a massive Christmas fan!

Jingle All The Way?

Is this seriously? That's one of the worst Christmas films ever

However it's your opinion and if you like a bit of Arnie at Christmas then good to you!
  • YouViewYouView Posts: 2,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zeropoint1 wrote: »
    For those who want to recreate the watching Elf on a television channel experience there are a few simple steps you can follow -

Connect the DVD player via scart and change your televisions picture settings to 'high' or 'shop display' and aspect ratio to 'zoom'
    Pause the film every 20 minutes and wait 5 minutes before restarting.
    After an hour stop the film for 10 minutes and read Heat magazine.
    Resume film.
    10 minutes before the end of the film ensure you take another 5 minute break.
    As soon as the credits roll start talking over them by reading out the Radio times listings.

Haha! Love this.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    ney wrote: »
    I know some like the movie Elf but I have never been to keen on the film Elf. There are better Christmas movies in my option.

I don't like it either. My college's film society showed it a couple of times and I found it very cringeworthy and childish. My favourite Christmas movies (well the ones I watch the most) would have to be Home Alone, Christmas With The Kranks, The Four Christmases and Trading Places.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like it either. My college's film society showed it a couple of times and I found it very cringeworthy and childish. My favourite Christmas movies (well the ones I watch the most) would have to be Home Alone, Christmas With The Kranks, The Four Christmases and Trading Places.

It's a Xmas movie, with Santa and Elves in it! :D

I can only assume you don't have any kids, Trading Places! :o
    Xmas movies should be family viewing, Home Alone is a definite classic.....just like Elf.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I do think Elf has become a classic partly because of a lot of hype. I found it childish and quite pathetic too, though I find all of Will Farrell's films childish and pathetic.

Trading Places, Scrooged, Planes Trains and Automobiles, Home Alone 1 & 2 are classics with witty intelligent writing but are still good fun at the end.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    TommyNooka wrote: »
    It's a Xmas movie, with Santa and Elves in it! :D

I can only assume you don't have any kids, Trading Places! :o
    Xmas movies should be family viewing, Home Alone is a definite classic.....just like Elf.

Yes but a Christmas movie doesn't have to be childish. Home Alone isn't childish, neither are the other ones I mentioned. Trading Places is quite a good film and yes it's more adult but I enjoy it. I don't have kids and I don't intend to have any either :D It's not compulsory to like Elf. There's no law saying that everyone must like it. It's a free country.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes but a Christmas movie doesn't have to be childish. Home Alone isn't childish, neither are the other ones I mentioned. Trading Places is quite a good film and yes it's more adult but I enjoy it. I don't have kids and I don't intend to have any either :D It's not compulsory to like Elf. There's no law saying that everyone must like it. It's a free country.

Where did I say you had to like Elf? It's a good family Xmas movie for many people. Die Hard is also a 'Xmas movie' but I wouldn't watch that with my 7 year old any more than I'd watch Trading Places with her.
    But then I'm very much of the opinion Xmas is for children, it's just another welcome holiday as far as i'm concerned.
  • grilligrilli Posts: 1,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got that on DVD good movie wouldn't mind getting it on blu-ray I am gutted that both Tim Allen the Santa Claus & muppets Christmas Carol are still not available on blu-ray alltouh I wood like the muppets Christmas carol the some as the old vhs version not the edit it one that came out on DVD channel 4 hd played that one last Christmas

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Santa-Clause-The-Complete-3-Movie-Collection-Blu-ray/40528/
    http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Muppet-Christmas-Carol-Blu-ray/35027/

both are region free blu ray as i own both
  • David_Flett1David_Flett1 Posts: 9,309
    Forum Member
    This is why physical media still has a role for decades to come.

Netflix and Amazon don't have it? it's ok we have the DVD to stick on..

And DVD's don't suffer from the same restrictions either, they don't bounce around from one service to another. It is right that studios try and get the best deal for new films and shows but squeezing the life out of something and getting a pittance for years after just sucks.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw the DVD in sainsburys again for £4.