Christmas day is on a SUNDAY - and the networks carry on as usual

starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
Forum Member
Britain is meant to be a Christian country. This year Christmas day is on a Sunday, so the networks should be showing more religious content, be more laidback. less films and soaps.

Shows like Songs Of Praise, vintage Songs Of Praise, re runs of the Queens Speech throughout the years, they could do a Christmas special of Highway. Sadly sir Harry Secombe is no longer with us, but maybe someone like Ian Smith could have stepped in. He has proven his singing voice here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcSk0YNw_f8

A couple of Christian movies, and some televised church services. a made for TV movie about the story of our lord and saviour Jesus Christ, and how he was born in a stable in Bethlehem. There could be hymns from around 3.30 - 6pm and fireplace scenes during the time families should be eating their Christmas dinner.

Obviously some people follow a different faith, so Channel 4 could show some content for them. Happy festival type shows and films.

There is no need for most of the TV channels to be broadcasting at all. I'd have BBC One, ITV and Channel 4. The others would display nice fireplace scenes and merry Christmas messages. I feel like the networks are chasing viewing figures and profits, which is fine most of the year - such is life in a capitalist society. But on Christmas day its really not acceptable. Infact I wouldn't have adverts on ITV or Channel 4 on this day either.

I wonder if the forum feels the same. Should things be more laidback on Christmas day? I'm sure we are all agreed there should be no violence or sex.

Comments

• fizzycatfizzycat Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member
    If we were all so religious, we'd all be in church instead of watching cr@p on TV. :p
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Britain is meant to be a Christian country. This year Christmas day is on a Sunday, so the networks should be showing more religious content, be more laidback. less films and soaps.

Shows like Songs Of Praise, vintage Songs Of Praise, re runs of the Queens Speech throughout the years, they could do a Christmas special of Highway. Sadly sir Harry Secombe is no longer with us, but maybe someone like Ian Smith could have stepped in. He has proven his singing voice here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcSk0YNw_f8

A couple of Christian movies, and some televised church services. a made for TV movie about the story of our lord and saviour Jesus Christ, and how he was born in a stable in Bethlehem. There could be hymns from around 3.30 - 6pm and fireplace scenes during the time families should be eating their Christmas dinner.

Obviously some people follow a different faith, so Channel 4 could show some content for them. Happy festival type shows and films.

There is no need for most of the TV channels to be broadcasting at all. I'd have BBC One, ITV and Channel 4. The others would display nice fireplace scenes and merry Christmas messages. I feel like the networks are chasing viewing figures and profits, which is fine most of the year - such is life in a capitalist society. But on Christmas day its really not acceptable. Infact I wouldn't have adverts on ITV or Channel 4 on this day either.

I wonder if the forum feels the same. Should things be more laidback on Christmas day? I'm sure we are all agreed there should be no violence or sex.
    Maybe a bit too much Christmas sherry? :rolleyes:

I cannot agree with anything in that post.
    fizzycat wrote: »
    If we were all so religious, we'd all be in church instead of watching cr@p on TV. :p

But I can agree with that.
  • DanManF1DanManF1 Posts: 8,324
    Forum Member
    This surely can not be a serious thread.
  • Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    Another great thread by Starry Rune **sigh**
  • steveOooosteveOooo Posts: 5,002
    Forum Member
    Maybe just tune into the god channel
  • snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From the mind that thinks no good TV should be on Freeview, just the rubbish. :santahatdude:
  • PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    The UK is no longer a Christian country. :)

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/may/23/no-religion-outnumber-christians-england-wales-study

Why should the majority suffer?
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The schedules don't seem to be less religious than any other year. Christmas is the only time of year ITV ever show a service.
  • pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Starry Rune... If I was forced into that in my house hold I'd be shouting Starry Ruined OP...
  • PowerLeePowerLee Posts: 1,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im happy that 5 USA is still showing 3 episodes of Columbo on Sunday even when its xmas day.

Xmas tv is nothing special, its just background filler.
  • rob_knightrob_knight Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pencil wrote: »
    The UK is no longer a Christian country. :)

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/may/23/no-religion-outnumber-christians-england-wales-study

Why should the majority suffer?

Er, last time I looked Christianity was still the official religion and the monarch was still head of the church. Ergo, we ARE a Christian country. That is all.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    The schedules don't seem to be less religious than any other year. Christmas is the only time of year ITV ever show a service.

I notice that STV are not bothering to do a service from Scotland, taking the network service from Rochdale.
  • albion-mad-nickalbion-mad-nick Posts: 4,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good. Less religious mumbo-jumbo on the telly the better. Go to church if you want to get that sort of stuff.
  • sat-iresat-ire Posts: 4,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christians should be praying instead of being on social media complaining that everyone else is being catered to by the TV networks.

Having said that I doubt the validity of the thread opener anyway.
  • Jimmy_BarnesJimmy_Barnes Posts: 895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you're a full-on Christian and Sundays TV schedule offends you in some way, just dont watch it. Read some psalms or listen to some carols. I know a lot of committed Christians and none of them are outraged by the lack of religious programming on the 25th, they've got more important things to worry about.

It's just another hatstand Starry Rune thread where (s)he spouts a load of rubbish then runs off before the bomb detonates.

Oh, and Zeropoint1, I'm embarrassed to be in the same county as you. Keep your Daily Mail-influenced bigotry to yourself next time, yeah?
  • Paul_CullotyPaul_Culloty Posts: 564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RTE generally cover all bases over Christmas Eve and the day itself - Midnight Mass tonight, followed by an early morning mass on Christmas morning, and Urbi et Orbi until midday. Sensibly though, the rest of the schedule for the two days is left on autopilot, with wall-to-wall movies, soaps, etc and it's the only day of the year when no ads are shown.
  • A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

10.00am Christmas Day Service : Live From Bristol Cathedral a traditional Holy Communion

11.00am Songs of Praise : Christmas Big Sing

Lack of research.....
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Laid back means less formal therefore the schedules are surely right ? more religion would mean more traditional formality and you yourself say you want it to be more laid back.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good. Less religious mumbo-jumbo on the telly the better. Go to church if you want to get that sort of stuff.

With all the deaths we have had this year of real life idols, it is pointless in having TV coverage of a mythical one.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sat-ire wrote: »
    Christians should be praying instead of being on social media complaining that everyone else is being catered to by the TV networks.

Having said that I doubt the validity of the thread opener anyway.

I will remember that next time someone is moaning about some sports event not being on FTA TV and tell them they should be outside kicking a ball around and not sitting watching TV.
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Church first thing in the morning everyone.
  • davies88davies88 Posts: 1,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    I will remember that next time someone is moaning about some sports event not being on FTA TV and tell them they should be outside kicking a ball around and not sitting watching TV.

I won't watch the news anymore then, I'll book a flight out to Aleppo and find out what's going on first hand.
  • sat-iresat-ire Posts: 4,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »

Was that aimed at me?

Didn't you realise it was tongue-in-cheek? ;-)
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    If I wanted to watch or listen to religious stuff I would go to church or put on one of those mad God squad channels offering salvation by credit card :santahatdude:⛪️📿💳
  • afroduck21afroduck21 Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    There could be hymns from around 3.30 - 6pm and fireplace scenes during the time families should be eating their Christmas dinner.

So not only do you want to tell us what to watch on Christmas day, you also would like to dictate when we eat?

Oh how incredibly inclusive of you!
    There is no need for most of the TV channels to be broadcasting at all. I'd have BBC One, ITV and Channel 4. The others would display nice fireplace scenes and merry Christmas messages.

This is ridiculous. So people who are lonely at Christmas, are spending their first years since losing their loved one, who didn't have enough money to put on Christmas, the folks with illness laid up in bed - all just watch a fireplace.... This is already the highest time of year for suicide, are you trying to kill our species off?