How are old notes taken out of circulation?

MR_PitkinMR_Pitkin Posts: 30,743
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Since the introduction of the new five pound note, the old ones have quickly disappeared. How is this achieved?
With the new one pound coin coming in, I don't see the disappearance being achieved so quickly though as coins tend to hang around much longer, why is this?

Comments

• HurlleyHurlley Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As shops / we all bank the notes/coins they are taken out of circulation and reintroduced simples.
  • TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    MR_Pitkin wrote: »
    Since the introduction of the new five pound note, the old ones have quickly disappeared. How is this achieved?
    With the new one pound coin coming in, I don't see the disappearance being achieved so quickly though as coins tend to hang around much longer, why is this?

Easily. The machines that sort the notes identify soiled and damaged notes and switch them to the reject hopper. They are then securely destroyed by the Bank of England.

Coins do tend to hang around for years. People tend to have little stashes of them here and there, from change dishes around the house to car ashtrays or drawers.
  • MR_PitkinMR_Pitkin Posts: 30,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Easily. The machines that sort the notes identify soiled and damaged notes and switch them to the reject hopper. They are then securely destroyed by the Bank of England.

Coins do tend to hang around for years. People tend to have little stashes of them here and there, from change dishes around the house to car ashtrays or drawers.
    I've got quite a few old 50p coins, can I still take these to the bank and exchange them?
  • TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    I've got quite a few old 50p coins, can I still take these to the bank and exchange them?

Don't be so mean. Give them to the charities that collect discontinued coins.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't be so mean. Give them to the charities that collect discontinued coins.

I would, but how do I do this?
  • Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    I wonder if there'll be be flood of fake £1 coins between now and the date they stop being accepted in shops?

I could imagine that any gangs with machines to make fake ones realise their days are numbered and will manufacture as many as they can while they're able to sell them.

Most fake pound coins I see these days come from cab drivers, leading me to suspect that some of them buy stacks of them to give to passengers. Another reason for the success of Uber, no doubt.
  • Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,654
    Forum Member
    Easily. ATMs stop giving them out and shops stop giving them in change.

At the same time the ATMs and shops are flooded with the new notes to give out.
  • varialectiovarialectio Posts: 2,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you're talking about the old large-sized ones that were demonetized in 1998, the answer is possibly not. Your bank may take them but is not obliged to.

Found this interesting reply in another forum

http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php/topic/27449-demonetized-uk-coins/#entry493541
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fire is the cleanser...
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They get a cap popped in their ass.
  • cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    If you're talking about the old large-sized ones that were demonetized in 1998, the answer is possibly not. Your bank may take them but is not obliged to.

http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php/topic/27449-demonetized-uk-coins/#entry493541

>>>

The Bank of England will take most old out of date paper money so will probably take coins but may cost you more than theyre worth in getting them there.
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just got a 1971 two pence coin in my change today and was amazed that after 46 years this was still doing the rounds.

1971 was when D Day happened (as decimalisation was called at the time as I recall) so there will not be any older ones than this.
  • Harvey_SpecterHarvey_Specter Posts: 4,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Banking.

Merry Christmas.
  • Gordon gGordon g Posts: 837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder how long these new notes will last. I thought they were going to be replaced when "twitter reacted with fury" when they found out they contained animal products :D

That twitter storm didn't even last 24 hours.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gordon g wrote: »
    I wonder how long these new notes will last. I thought they were going to be replaced when "twitter reacted with fury" when they found out they contained animal products :D

That twitter storm didn't even last 24 hours.

I don't like them, they're too shiny and slippy.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they have an assassin with a .22 rifle taking them out from a second floor window in the shopping centre.
  • TreelopperTreelopper Posts: 390
    Forum Member

My bank said they would only exchange a full bag (£10). I finally found the last one I needed last week and they (Barclays) swapped it for a nice £10 note.
  • njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The old pound coins will cease to be legal tender on October 15th, so most of them will be long gone between the end of March and then...
  • razorback Tonyrazorback Tony Posts: 882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Most fake pound coins I see these days come from cab drivers, leading me to suspect that some of them buy stacks of them to give to passengers. Another reason for the success of Uber, no doubt.

You must have a vivid imagination if you suspect that taxi drivers buy stacks of snide £1 coins.
    They may get their change from a bank, or take £1 coins from their passengers.
    Even if there WERE a bunch of wise guys selling these mysterious coins, do you think that it would never come to the attention of the cops?
    Someone will always inadvertently open their mouth about things of that nature.
    While I accept that Uber is for the most part a cashless business, relying on credit card/ and or account payment, does that preclude the apparently white as the driven snow slaves that drive Uber cars from buying these mythical stacks of coins?
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 04/05/17 - 17:00 #21
    Just a reminder, the old £5.00 note ceases to be legal tender after tomorrow (Friday 5th May 2017), so if you have any left, try and spend them. Banks and Building Societies will continue to exchange them, or accept pay ins, indefinitely.

A word of slight caution on the new ones. There have been anecdotal reports that when used in ATM's, some are slipping due to lack of friction, leaving one behind, and consequently causing a deficient payout. This might start to be more of an issue (or non issue lol) when the £10 note converts to the new material. So if you do get paid/part paid in fivers from an ATM, be sure to make sure you've got the correct amount.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I still have a 10 bob note.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a crisp £7 note if anyone's interested. #legit
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,833
    Forum Member
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    I still have a 10 bob note.

You tight wad.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I thought the Bank of England has said they will always exchange old coins and notes, high street banks will normally only do so for their own customers. Charities seem to be going to encourage people to donate the old notes and coins to them. I thought also about museums which are mow usually free and request donations, put them in their collecting box and they will be paid into the bank with the rest.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edited 04/05/17 - 19:14 #26
    How are old notes taken out of circulation?

They get put into Theresa May's knickers and she does a dance in front of Prince Philip and then the Queen has them back as they have her face on them, so they go to Buckingham Palace vaults.