Three 4G Rollout | Free 4G for ALL!

Comments

• DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    jimmy22 wrote: »
    I got a 4s will I be in for a 4g update!:)

Yes. Jonny Ive has been working on a new chip-set Teleportation system called iBeam-me-up.
    Basically an over the air update that rips the logicboard out of your handset and replaces it with new LTE one!
    :D
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    Yes. Jonny Ive has been working on a new chip-set Teleportation system called iBeam-me-up.
    Basically an over the air update that rips the logicboard out of your handset and replaces it with new LTE one!
    :D

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_2cynbmcOtnA/TPPw0zwaCTI/AAAAAAAABsQ/CgSIXKSFRjA/s320/sarcasm_detector.jpg
  • mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,436
    Forum Member
    Somebody answer me this...

If I were to buy a new phone (iPhone 5S, for example, when it comes out) outright, and get a One Plan SIM Only deal when my current contract is up, would I get the 4G update automatically, too?
    Forum Member
    mogzyboy wrote: »
    Somebody answer me this...

If I were to buy a new phone (iPhone 5S, for example, when it comes out) outright, and get a One Plan SIM Only deal when my current contract is up, would I get the 4G update automatically, too?

Yes. As long as the phone supports 4G on band 20 and band 3.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    Three have stated that your 4G phone will need a small software update to use their 4G service when it launches. does anyone know if they will only send the update to phones sold/supported by Three themselves?

The reason I ask, is that I have just bought a simfree HTC One SV so I can use 4G on the one plan sim I've just bought.
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »

It's working then! :)

5s will almost certainly do 800, 1800 and 2600 I would have thought.
    I'm on for the iPhone 6 next October. LTE-A?
    Forum Member
    Yes. As long as the phone supports 4G on band 20 and band 3.
    Thanks - thought you would know! :)
    Forum Member
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    It's working then! :)

5s will almost certainly do 800, 1800 and 2600 I would have thought.
    I'm on for the iPhone 6 next October. LTE-A?

I agree. Would be nice if the 5s was LTE-A capable.

Oh and as mentioned before, Three website update tomorrow with 4G marketing and 50 cities/towns list.

Northern Ireland will be disappointed. :cry:
  • JwhiterzJwhiterz Posts: 528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree. Would be nice if the 5s was LTE-A capable.

Oh and as mentioned before, Three website update tomorrow with 4G marketing and 50 cities/towns list.

Northern Ireland will be disappointed. :cry:

having 80% population coverage by end of next year is actually quite a quick rollout to think of it.

Three's currently DC-HSDPA rollout is only just over 80% I believe
    Forum Member
    Newcastle will be on the list!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Newcastle will be on the list!

The comments from the Mods on Three's blog have been giving away some of the places to get it early next year. :rolleyes: but like the post above says the list will be on the website tomorrow.
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jwhiterz wrote: »
    having 80% population coverage by end of next year is actually quite a quick rollout to think of it.

Three's currently DC-HSDPA rollout is only just over 80% I believe

I believe it is actually around 85%
    Forum Member
    Is Cardiff on the list?
    Forum Member
    Is Cardiff on the list?

Yes. :)

As is Preston which was asked earlier in the thread.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    When Three say about an update im wordering if they mean a sim update and make sure your on latest software.

What happens if your on a SIM ONLY and have your own 'non three' phone thats 4G ready.... should just pick it up

Looking forward to seeing these new broadband plans... im on a 15GB one at the moment but saw there is one on Three Ireland for 60GB a month!
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im no to bothered about 4G the now as long as the 3G and HSDPA service improves in some parts of the country.
    For you go north of Perth and some areas get a weak signal on 3g or no 3g coverage at all. Even the Callender area of Scotland has a poor 3g coverage. At lest on 02.

Darren
    Forum Member
    dangetti wrote: »

Looking forward to seeing these new broadband plans... im on a 15GB one at the moment but saw there is one on Three Ireland for 60GB a month!

Would be nice if we could get a higher broadband allowance.

Three still do the highest in the UK at the moment though
    Forum Member
    http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Built_for_internetting?site=d

There ya go^

New 4G logo and advertising as i said is now live.

London, Manchester and Birmingham inc Wolverhampton, Oldham, dudley and west bromwich from launch.

Full list of cities/towns for 2014:
    Aberdeen
    Blackpool
    Bolton
    Bournemouth
    Bradford
    Brighton
    Bristol
    Cambridge
    Cardiff
    Coventry
    Dundee
    Edinburgh
    Exeter
    Glasgow
    Gloucester
    Huddersfield
    Ipswich
    Kingston upon Hull
    Leeds
    Leicester
    Liverpool
    Luton
    Milton Keynes
    Newcastle
    Northampton
    Nottingham
    Norwich
    Oxford
    Peterborough
    Plymouth
    Portsmouth
    Preston
    Sheffield
    Slough
    Southampton
    Southend on sea
    stoke on trent
    stockport
    Swindon
    Watford
    York

(a certain someone on this forum will be able to confirm i got the list yesterday ;) )
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're covering Slough, but not Maidenhead? You'd think their home town would have got something.

At least unlike a certain other network they've realised that the South West should get a bit more action other than just Bristol...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exciting stuff to come then! All I'm looking forward to now is more news about the wifi app.
    Forum Member
    moox wrote: »
    They're covering Slough, but not Maidenhead? You'd think their home town would have got something.

At least unlike a certain other network they've realised that the South West should get a bit more action other than just Bristol...

It's actually a fairly good roll out. They're planning to hit 80% population coverage by this time next year. Thats 4 years faster than it took O2 on 3G........

Just realised i missed out Reading. Reading is December 2013 as well. :)
    Jwhiterz wrote: »
    Exciting stuff to come then! All I'm looking forward to now is more news about the wifi app.

No news yet :(

Like i said, you can expect the 4G ready marketing to start going live in September. Three are changing their ultrafast logo, it's basically the ultrafast logo (3 stripes) on it's side with 4G written on the left hand side.

So like i said above, Three are dropping their ultrafast logo and now going in with a 4G logo. It's now "Advanced 3G" and "4G ready".

http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr180/jabbamk1/Untitled-1_zpsa4ba445b.jpg
  • WelshBluebirdWelshBluebird Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder how large the rollout will be.
    I know when EE rolled out 4G, the Bristol rollout actually covered my office in Keynsham, and eventually has covered some parts of Bath.
    Forum Member
    I wonder how large the rollout will be.
    I know when EE rolled out 4G, the Bristol rollout actually covered my office in Keynsham, and eventually has covered some parts of Bath.

It'll be very very very similar to EE's roll out in terms of coverage.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jabba, sorry if I missed it in this thread. Do you have any info about this software update business Three are mentioning?
    Forum Member
    TheBigM wrote: »
    Jabba, sorry if I missed it in this thread. Do you have any info about this software update business Three are mentioning?

Carrier settings.

If you go to your phone mobile network settings you may not have an option for LTE. If you don't then you'll get an update enabling it. If you do (e,g unbranded phone/custom rom)... then you're set :)
This discussion has been closed.