Options

Using a USB Flash Drive with the HDR

Hi,

I am looking to purchase a USB Flash Drive for use with my HDR and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on size, manufacturer etc. Is there any limit as to size of Flash Drive the HDR can support?

I would like to be able to transfer recordings from the HDR onto the Flash Drive and then back them up onto my home PC. Also is it possible to play back video files in another format from a Flash Drive with the HDR? For example '.avi' etc.

Many thanks,
James.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    Well I'm quite happily using a 16Gb Sandisk Cruzer with mine. Don't see that there should be any problems with size as it also works quite well with the 1Tb WD external hard drive I have and there really is little difference in the two as far as the HDR is concerned. The only limitation is that both the above are formatted as FAT32 filesystems which limits the file size to 4Gb and therefore the maximum length of the program you can transfer on to them - but even at the highest bitrate this is about 2hrs for SD programs (and you can't copy HD programs in FreeSat mode) so it is rarely a problem. [There are ways round the 4Gb limit by using the linux ext3 filesystem].

The are no problems palying back the files on a PC (use VideoLan VLC Player or similar to watch / reformat them), however it isn't currently possible to watch files from USB devices other than those originally recorded on the HDR. The HDR requires the files to be in TS format and requires a couple of additional files to be present as well.
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    smithg400 wrote: »
    Well I'm quite happily using a 16Gb Sandisk Cruzer with mine. Don't see that there should be any problems with size as it also works quite well with the 1Tb WD external hard drive I have and there really is little difference in the two as far as the HDR is concerned. The only limitation is that both the above are formatted as FAT32 filesystems which limits the file size to 4Gb and therefore the maximum length of the program you can transfer on to them - but even at the highest bitrate this is about 2hrs for SD programs (and you can't copy HD programs in FreeSat mode) so it is rarely a problem. [There are ways round the 4Gb limit by using the linux ext3 filesystem].

The are no problems palying back the files on a PC (use VideoLan VLC Player or similar to watch / reformat them), however it isn't currently possible to watch files from USB devices other than those originally recorded on the HDR. The HDR requires the files to be in TS format and requires a couple of additional files to be present as well.

Have you seen my post here ?

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=30636523&postcount=717

Wondered if you have used a lot more than 4Gb on your 16Gb drive.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    Interesting,I hadnt realised you could plug usb drive into the foxsat for other than updates.
    I'm looking to buy two machines, record on one and play back on the other - is this possible? & HD ?
    Is it the same format as the Passion plus if Iwanted to play USB'd recordings there?
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2steps wrote: »
    Interesting,I hadnt realised you could plug usb drive into the foxsat for other than updates.
    I'm looking to buy two machines, record on one and play back on the other - is this possible? & HD ?
    Is it the same format as the Passion plus if Iwanted to play USB'd recordings there?

It's the Foxsat-hdr not the Foxsat-HD we are discussing (This is the Freeview+ forum)
  • Options
    germanycallinggermanycalling Posts: 710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    (This is the Freeview+ forum)

<Panto mode on> Oh no it isn't! <Panto mode off> :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    :)
    something else didnt know
    oh well- new thread time

I'm sure its the Freesat + forum ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the help, I think I'll probably get one of those Sandisk Cruzer flash drives then. I've got VLC player on my laptop, so it shouldn't be an issue for me to play the files back on there.

Its a shame it's not possible to play avi files yet on the HD-R, but I suppose there is always a chance of it getting added in a future update!
  • Options
    White-KnightWhite-Knight Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just bought a 4GB drive from 7-day shop.

Cost me £5.39 delivered!!

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_6&products_id=104662

Couldn't see the point in getting anything bigger as programmes take too long to transfer, you're better off with an external hard drive caddy for transfer then simply plugging the hard drive in your pc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    Bought from an Amazon seller a "Byte Store" 16GB for around £18 delivered - came from Jersey. Works well with my Fortec Star Innovation which is more than I can say for some of the usb stick rubbish I bought direct from China via Ebay! Also have a WD passport 320GB hard disk powered from the usb socket and that too works well. Though I have to say its a bit of a waste of money as I prefer the usb stick as one can record an adequate number of items and then stick in the puter and burn.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    I use this free prog for converting anything!!!

http://quick-media-converter.en.softonic.com/