Options

Why is the UK the best country on earth?

Comments

• Options
    HillmanImpHillmanImp Posts: 2,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mungobrush wrote: »
    Yes, but even the 10% of the continent that is inhabitable is 3 times the size of the UK with only half the population.

And the uninhabitable 90% is filled with vast beauty

Of the top 10 cities in the world to live, 5 of them are in Australia.

Australia........ Its Benidorm but spread over an entire continent like a plague.
    Could not take more then 30 minutes top!
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    yeah, I mean why would anyone want to live in some of the planet's richest and most beautiful nations?
    Well, I would for one, But then I've been to both...more than some posters on here could ever say.
    Yet you're still here .
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    HillmanImp wrote: »
    Australia........ Its Benidorm but spread over an entire continent like a plague.

So you've not really been then because it's not like that at all.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    I blame people who blame Labour as well as people who just blame the Tories.

It's still a far better place to live now than it used to be for many people. I blame progress.

I was happier back then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    I was happier back then.

A smaller percentage of the global population living in poverty, more chance of surviving cancer than any previous generation, pretty much instant access to information and entertainment, and lots of other things. It's a great time to be alive and things get better every year. Then again, I'm an unashamed optimist and hope to always be so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the variable climate is actually one of its advantages.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Anyone who has spent a fortune on a "luxury" holiday to Bali will disagree with you.. LOL (I've been to neither place)
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yet you're still here .

yes the lack of a degree in Icelandic and my rusty Norwegian being something of a drawback in the local job market.... surprisingly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone who has spent a fortune on a "luxury" holiday to Bali will disagree with you..
    :confused::confused::confused:
    Put down the logic and STEP AWAY FROM THE KEYBOARD, SIR!!!!
    NOW!!!!
  • Options
    GTR DavoGTR Davo Posts: 4,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The UK isn't the best nation on earth! the USA is, my opinion of course :)
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    A smaller percentage of the global population living in poverty, more chance of surviving cancer than any previous generation, pretty much instant access to information and entertainment, and lots of other things. It's a great time to be alive and things get better every year. Then again, I'm an unashamed optimist and hope to always be so.

But I was younger and fitter back then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    But I was younger and fitter back then.

So was I, but I'm still here because of treatments that are available now that wouldn't have been a few decades ago. Plus I tend to look at how the human race is doing as a whole and it's doing pretty well at the moment, though that's maybe not going to last unless politicians start thinking more long-term.
  • Options
    davzerdavzer Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Japan and Germany are far better than the UK.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    davzer wrote: »
    Japan and Germany are far better than the UK.

Japan has Tsunami, earthquakes and Nuclear meltdowns.

Germany started the war, but don't mention it. I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :confused::confused::confused:
    Put down the logic and STEP AWAY FROM THE KEYBOARD, SIR!!!!
    NOW!!!!

Its a META_FACT.... Bali is fall of Australians. Its so down market you could not go any lower. One wonders what the rest are like.... Although, to be fair, if one was to judge the UK by Benidorm I guess we would not be so hot either. Still I'd say Bali-Man is worse then Benidorm-Man
  • Options
    PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    This topic was always destined to be a debate between...

The Optimists and The Pessimists
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Pencil wrote: »
    This topic was always destined to be a debate between...

The Optimists and The Pessimists

I'm optimistic about my chances in that fight :D.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm optimistic about my chances in that fight :D.

Those isms are about the future, there is no ism in the present. It just is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its a META_FACT.... Bali is fall of Australians. Its so down market you could not go any lower. One wonders what the rest are like.... Although, to be fair, if one was to judge the UK by Benidorm I guess we would not be so hot either. Still I'd say Bali-Man is worse then Benidorm-Man
    WTH is a 'meta-fact' in a non-computer term context? Something outside of a fact that attempts to understand the fact? Pure scribble
    And then you went and demonstrated it by the above post in which you explained your example and showed how dumb it was in two paras, while at the same time confusing facts with opinion. :D:D:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WTH is a 'meta-fact' in a non-computer term context? Something outside of a fact that attempts to understand the fact? Pure scribble
    And then you went and demonstrated it by the above post in which you explained your example and showed how dumb it was in two paras, while at the same time confusing facts with opinion. :D:D:p

Meta from Wiki: " Meta is a prefix used in English to indicate a concept which is an abstraction from another concept, used to complete or add to the latter." Thus Bali-Man is an abstraction based on the concept of an Australian but also it adds a certain something to the definition of an Australian in the same way Maga-Loathe-Teen adds something to the definition of the Sun Newspaper (Australian owned)..
  • Options
    HeWhoIsHereHeWhoIsHere Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    Meta from Wiki: " Meta is a prefix used in English to indicate a concept which is an abstraction from another concept, used to complete or add to the latter." Thus Bali-Man is an abstraction based on the concept of an Australian but also it adds a certain something to the definition of an Australian in the same way Maga-Loathe-Teen adds something to the definition of the Sun Newspaper (Australian owned)..

American owned. News Corp is American.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    American owned. News Corp is American.

He only became American for tax or legal reasons. He is a 100% Australian dodger.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Those isms are about the future, there is no ism in the present. It just is.

That's nice. Now go put the kettle on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice try - but it doesn't apply to 'fact' and you won't find the word 'Meta-fact'in a dictionary outside of computer language. Try this, extrapolated from your 'definition':
    "A meta-fact is a fact that is an abstraction from another fact used to complete or add to the latter."
    Pure nonsense. If it's 'an abstraction' it isn't a fact.
    The fact extrapolated is simply .... another fact.
    Fire is hot.
    If I put my hand in the fire it burns.
    Two facts, not a fact and a meta-fact. The second in no way completes the definition of the first, or add anything to the first fact in itself.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a pretty good country. I kinda like it. Also it's handy for getting to work.