Christmas TV

Jack_ClintonJack_Clinton Posts: 2,495
Forum Member
✭✭✭
On Christmas Day, the only programmes I will watch are Soccer AM (on Sky 1) and Top of the Pops (on BBC 1). There are loads of programmes in the evening that I wish to watch but will spend that time with family.

This is the same for the evening of Boxing Day and New Year's Eve. I think these days are time for family.

I will record all programmes on these days I wish to watch (i.e. Dr Who, Miranda, Open All Hours, The Boy in the dress etc), and watch them in the rest of December.

I have never watched TV on Xmas night, and am surprised by the high figures for the popular programmes.

Will you watch TV on Xmas Day? Or record the shows?

Comments

• CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard that the Queen's Christmas Message on Christmas Day is even a repeat this year, I think it was from 1993 or maybe 1992
  • J-StarJ-Star Posts: 220
    Forum Member
    We don't tend to watch tv on Xmas day as there's too much going on but downton abbey is probably the only thing I'd bother recording, I'm not at all enthusiastic about Christmas telly this year which is a shame.
  • richie4evarichie4eva Posts: 217,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will probably watch a little bit of Soccer AM before heading out for dinner and present giving, not much of interest on on Xmas Day during the day

Boxing Day evening, no matter where I am The Avengers is going on BBC1, same with The Dark Knight on ITV1 on New Years Day ;)
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll only be watching the soaps, as everything else has been on every single Christmas for the past 42 years ive been alive :D

Will be on the for the next 42 of em as well :D
  • John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    With all the so called 'digital choice' we keep being told we now have it shouldn't be too difficult to find something worth watching during the so called 'holiday period' but Dear God the schedules are poor this year, utterly abysmal. >:(
  • snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Been browsing the Christmas Radio Times the weekend, there is some decent stuff on over the main 3 days of Xmas Eve, Xmas Day and Boxing Day but the rest of the fortnight is pretty grim.

The same old films - Zulu, The Sound Of Music, Ben Hur etc. - numerous cheap, schedule filling countdown shows, the greatest of this, Britains favourite that and "Specials" of shows that are on all year round.
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    I heard that the Queen's Christmas Message on Christmas Day is even a repeat this year, I think it was from 1993 or maybe 1992

Never watch, or listen to, the Queen's message. Her narration is just terrible as is her complete inability to read a speech and sound remotely natural. She could learn a few lessons from Tony Blair (not too keen on him but have to give him some credit!) who always came across quite naturally (falsely???) when reading a speech. Sadly, HM - you can always tell she's reading something and never actually speaking from the heart.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't know if many people watch The Queen anymore, I mean a lot of people may have it on in the background whilst they're doing something more interesting, but I don't know anybody who actually watches it and listens to what she's saying, I know my family don't.
  • J-JJ-J Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The sad thing is quite often the old repeated stuff is still the best thing on!

The terrestrial movies 'Premiers' i normally find the biggest let down, between cinema, Sky Movies, Netflix/Amazon etc the films feel so old by the time they get on to normal TV its a bit pointless.
  • A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On Christmas Day, the only programmes I will watch are Soccer AM (on Sky 1) and Top of the Pops (on BBC 1). There are loads of programmes in the evening that I wish to watch but will spend that time with family.

This is the same for the evening of Boxing Day and New Year's Eve. I think these days are time for family.

I will record all programmes on these days I wish to watch (i.e. Dr Who, Miranda, Open All Hours, The Boy in the dress etc), and watch them in the rest of December.

I have never watched TV on Xmas night, and am surprised by the high figures for the popular programmes.

Will you watch TV on Xmas Day? Or record the shows?

I am glad you have shared with us what you will be watching, have a good one.
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I'll be out all day Christmas Day with my friends. But come 5pm it'll be back to my place with my best mate - have lots to drink, plenty of nibbles and LOTS of XMAS TV!!!
    NO SOAPS!! (I love them - but not tonight) - we'll watch good old-fashioned Christmas light entertainment - recorded, DVD's, whatever!!
    I miss things like Morecambe & Wise, The Two Ronnies etc...:)
  • stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My xmas day will be Emmerdale, Coronation st, Downton Abbey then I will watch Mrs Browns on record
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »

It hardly matters , either way :)
  • ToriabelleToriabelle Posts: 317
    Forum Member
    I'm timer recording everything I want to watch.

Corrie, Downton Abbey and Miranda are on my to watch list for Christmas day though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember when BBC2 used to shown a couple of Laurel and Hardy shorts in the morning over Christmas, I used to love those but they haven't done it for years now sadly.
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure they only shoe horned George Clooney into Downton to make us watch, but it worked ! :D I fancy the Doc Martin special which I haven't seen for a while. A good time of year to sometimes uncover some hidden gems - I love anything biographical - so far spotted a best of Julie Walters/documentary compilation and also an autobiographical programme about Alison Steadman.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Looking through the TV guide and I think it's the worst Christmas TV of all time. Just one appalling piece of crap after another. Or endless repeats.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    J-J wrote: »
    The sad thing is quite often the old repeated stuff is still the best thing on!

The terrestrial movies 'Premiers' i normally find the biggest let down, between cinema, Sky Movies, Netflix/Amazon etc the films feel so old by the time they get on to normal TV its a bit pointless.

I'm not sure that's quite true some of our viewing will be from the 40's, 50's etc when films IMO were much better but you seem to think something has to be brand new to be good ?
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I'll be out all day Christmas Day with my friends. But come 5pm it'll be back to my place with my best mate - have lots to drink, plenty of nibbles and LOTS of XMAS TV!!!
    NO SOAPS!! (I love them - but not tonight) - we'll watch good old-fashioned Christmas light entertainment - recorded, DVD's, whatever!!
    I miss things like Morecambe & Wise, The Two Ronnies etc...:)

No need to. It's being repeated on BBC2 for the 6000th time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was browsing the UK Christmas TV website the other day, what can I say I was bored, and it's actually fascinating seeing what was on at Christmas going back decades. It made me all nostalgic.

www.ukchristmastv.weebly.com
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No need to. It's being repeated on BBC2 for the 6000th time.

The Two Ronnies are actually on BBC1 at 7.30 pm tonight,and on BBC2 on Boxing Day at 7.15 pm
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Years ago it was all Christmas shows and Christmas Specials interspersed with the odd blockbuster films.

These days (only at Christmas either) TV appears to be a number of varying quality mostly boring old films or repeats of Christmas Shows from the past interspersed with an odd new TV show just to show willing from the TV companies.

I remember in the 1960s getting excited over the new TV shows they were on over the Christmas period, well before VCRs and often disappointed because two shows we would liked to have seen, clashed.

Now most of us have the ability to record anything we want to see and even more than one programme at a time there is nothing much worth recording, at least there is little I want to watch.

Oh look, Escape to the Country 21st repeat, Bargain Hunt Christmas Special from 1985, The Lucy Ball Show from 1956, Police Camera, Action and The Sound of Music and The Guns of Naverone, Antiques Road Show (1976). Whoopeee, it's Christmas:D
  • JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,102
    Forum Member
    I love tv on Christmas Day and usually plan it all out on advance. year after year i always end up watching mainly BBC1. With rubbish like Call The Midwife now oddly being on Christmas night it is getting more difficult to find good shows to watch. However this year I plan to start with Doctor Who followed by Miranda then over to ITV for Coronation Street and then Eastenders at 9pm. May watch Mrs browns Boys and end the night with Michael McIntyre.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We'll be out most of the day visiting relatives before going to my partners parents for Christmas dinner, then back just in time for Strictly and sticking with BBC1 until 9PM when we'll watch The Lady Vanishes on BBC4 or rather I will, she'll probably have dozed off by then.

We always stick with the BBC on Christmas Day, only because it's nice to have just one day of the year without ads being rammed down our necks.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You would have thought that with all the lazy, dreary and pathetic dross lined up, at least one of the channels would have grabbed the opportunity to put something decent on. It only goes to show how far Channel 4 has fallen since its bright opening in 1984. I can't see any reason to turn the television on again until at least January 2nd (my previews only go as far as New Year's Day), unless Quest or Yesterday have been saving up something truly riveting. Having said that, Quest will probably have a five-part series about riveting.