Which celebrities have had the biggest fall from grace in history?

Trance 2016Trance 2016 Posts: 130
Forum Member
Hey Showbiz posters, I hope your weekend has been fantastic?

It maybe to do with their professional or personal life or both.

From Hollywood, to soap stars, to reality tv stars, presenters, sports people and musicians etc.

Which celebs do you reckon will be next in the near or far future?

Enjoy people.

Comments

• dee123dee123 Posts: 46,265
    Forum Member
    Mel Gibson, Lindsay Lohan, Bill Cosby.
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OJ Simpson.
  • Trance 2016Trance 2016 Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    What did they do and what happened to them just for those reading who may not know.

Thanks.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would've thought the ones that turned out to be padeos, would've have been the top ones?
  • Fiery PhoenixFiery Phoenix Posts: 303
    Forum Member
    Fatty Arbuckle by a country mile
  • Marie_123_456Marie_123_456 Posts: 166
    Forum Member

When I saw the title of the thread that was the first name I thought of!
    Forum Member
    Please people an explanation would be amazing.
    For example I have no idea who the last guy is.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Roscoe 'Fatty' Arbuckle.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roscoe_Arbuckle

Other celebrities have been a bit naughty, or said or done something controversial, or something they have supposedly done is vague and open to question.
    But Roscoe Arbuckle was crucified by the media for a crime it was proven he was entirely innocent of.
    Just shows you how to not believe in the idiom 'There's no smoke without fire', and demonstrates the destructive effects the power of the media can have on an individual by influencing the perception of the public.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Though ...
    After the first two trials, which resulted in hung juries, Arbuckle was acquitted in the third trial and received a formal written statement of apology from the jury.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,987
    Forum Member
    One that instantly springs to mind is Mariah Carey back in 2001. A huge star throughout the 90s, so many #1s in America, great sales, critical acclaim.

The battle with Columbia (and her ex husband) followed by working into the ground, a very public breakdown and axed by her second label after just one album. Songs that would previously had been an easy #1 for Mariah 4 or 5 years earlier barely broke the Hot 100.

She did however go on to have one of the biggest comebacks a few years later.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Though ....

"After the first two trials, which resulted in hung juries, Arbuckle was acquitted in the third trial and received a formal written statement of apology from the jury"' .

That didn't help. People still believed he was guilty even right up to just recent years.
    He was blacklisted from Hollywood. The damage was done.
    Even though he was entirely innocent he was held up as an example and used as a scapegoat to take the blame for the excesses of Hollywood at the time.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That didn't help. People still believed he was guilty even right up to just recent years.
    He was blacklisted from Hollywood. The damage was done.
    Even though he was entirely innocent he was held up as an example and used as a scapegoat to take the blame for the excesses of Hollywood at the time.

It was disgusting. Poor man. Hearst and the 'yellow' press really went for him and sold a hell of a lot of papers.

I read that that the third jury took 6 minutes to return a unanimous not guilty verdict, most of which was taken up with writing a letter to him expressing shock and sorrow at the way he had been treated.

It's only really Buster Keaton who stood by him, to his great credit.
  • viva.espanaviva.espana Posts: 8,500
    Forum Member
    That vile Savile creature surely is top of any 'fall from grace' list.

Everyone else pales into insignifance alongside his downfall.
  • BodyElectricBodyElectric Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    John Landis was an A-List director in the 1980s but you never hear of him now. Even after the horrific accident on the set of the Twilight Zone movie which caused the deaths of an actor and two children he continued working on big projects like Clue for a few years, but then nothing. What happened?
  • duncannduncann Posts: 11,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think to qualify you have to reach the absolute peak of success in your field and while still up there sink to the utter pits never to rise again. Few have managed either one and very very few both!

Jimmy Savile - ok he was dead, but his reputation as a TV icon and the greatest ever charity campaigner has been utterly destroyed and not long after he passed. You used to see him impersonated by every single impersonator, he fronted important public service campaigns, he hung out with the PM and Princess Diana, he attended national events and was a 100% household name. His legacy now is that of a grotesque monster, a byword for monstrosity along with Ian Brady and Myra Hindley. His vast archive of decades of TV, radio and press is worthless junk. His lifetime's work will never be seen again except in horrific crime documentaries.

Rolf Harris another 60s and beyond icon, has also had a devastating plunge in career and is in prison. He painted the Queen, was left alone with her for hours, he fronted decades of family TV hit shows, he was named in polls as the most famous artist in history ahead of Picasso, he was Number One in the charts with classic songs that were repeated ad nauseam (and it was nauseam) on Radio 2. As with Savile, his vast archive of work and celebrated role as an ambassador for Australia is now taboo. He is persona non grata with no way back, he will likely die in prison, given his age.

There are a few others like this. In a different field let's see how Sir Philp Green fairs with the BHS scandal. Destroying a historic national high street brand, forcing tens of thousands out of work, effectively stealing millions from average workers' funds while living it up tax free in a haven and hanging out with Simon Cowell - it will be interesting to see if he keeps his title and any of his friends.
  • GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,491
    Forum Member
    First name I thought of, was Michael Barrymore. Second was Jade Goody. Terminal illness is a strange way to redeem yourself but with Max Clifford's help, she sort of did.
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Michael Jackson

OJ Simpson
    Forum Member
    First name I thought of, was Michael Barrymore. Second was Jade Goody. Terminal illness is a strange way to redeem yourself but with Max Clifford's help, she sort of did.

Max Clifford!
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And Mr Clifford himself fell spectacularly from Mr PR Guru to slopping out very quickly.
  • MelodybearMelodybear Posts: 10,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Charlie Sheen
    SAville
  • FingersAndToesFingersAndToes Posts: 9,956
    Forum Member
    Charlie Sheen. He got away with crimes and absolutely horrible actions for so long, I'm still wondering how the tides turned against him.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charlie Chaplin

But then Hollywood forgave him....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3Pl-qvA1X8
  • ButterfaceButterface Posts: 2,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The pompous, arrogant Dave Lee Travis.
  • MadBettyMadBetty Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1940's child actor Bobby Driscoll's fall from grace was very, very sad. He voiced the part of Peter Pan in the Disney animated film. A talented little boy whose career did not successfully make the transition from childhood to adulthood and he became a heroin-addicted vagrant by the age of 25. He was found dead from an overdose in an alley way and his body had lain for weeks in the morgue unidentified.
  • BodyElectricBodyElectric Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    MadBetty wrote: »
    1940's child actor Bobby Driscoll's fall from grace was very, very sad. He voiced the part of Peter Pan in the Disney animated film. A talented little boy whose career did not successfully make the transition from childhood to adulthood and he became a heroin-addicted vagrant by the age of 25. He was found dead from an overdose in an alley way and his body had lain for weeks in the morgue unidentified.

He was also in the live-action So Dear to My Heart and Song of the South, IIRC.

I think Bobby Driscoll's case is one of the saddest examples of a child star gone wrong. His story brings a tear to my eye.