Diet shakes or fat-loss pills first?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
Forum Member
✭✭
The Dukan diet worked well for me last year and I want to go back on it again, but due to a bit of impulse shopping I have a box of Lipo-bind, and 2 weeks worth of Celeb-slim diet shakes on their way to me!

I've never tried either thing so I have no idea how effective they are, so does anyone know which order I should take them in, two weeks of shakes first, then fat melting pills, or the other way around? And I suppose it would be silly to take both simultaneously?

Comments

• c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TBH neither. I know its boring advise that has been given almost every time but I would look at eating a healthy balanced diet, in sensible quantities and doing some exercise in whatever form that works best for you.
  • TheEricPollardTheEricPollard Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    TBH neither. I know its boring advise that has been given almost every time but I would look at eating a healthy balanced diet, in sensible quantities and doing some exercise in whatever form that works best for you.

What, you mean no pills that make you shit pure lard at all? :eek:
  • danletodanleto Posts: 2,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be a stupid idea to take the "fat melting pills" in the first place. Healthy eating and exercise, the old fashioned way.
  • rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    I agree, if you struggle with will power (like I do) and don't think you can just cut back and eat healthy on your own join something like Weight Watchers or Sliming World to give you a push (I'm a Weight Watchers girl myself). It will be a lot better for you in the long run
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jerrica09 wrote: »
    The Dukan diet worked well for me last year and I want to go back on it again, but due to a bit of impulse shopping I have a box of Lipo-bind, and 2 weeks worth of Celeb-slim diet shakes on their way to me!

OK, so I was reading this thread again this morning and now I am wondering. I thought Dukan was about change of lifestyle. Long term change, not yoyo dieting ?

You really need to find something that is going to work for you for the rest of your life. This is why I don't think shakes or pills are a good idea. You definitely can't take pills for the rest of your life and same with shakes tbh.

This may involve some fundamental lifestyle choices about what and how much you eat and how much exercise you do.
  • tony71yugotony71yugo Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D eeeh lordy lordy lordy fat melt pills :p i need to get hip with these new fangled things i feel as if i am missing out.
  • Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have done both and regretted it. Celebrity Slim does work but it's hugely antisocial and if the Dukan Diet hasnt' already given you bad breath then this one will. Fat loss pills just muck up your digestion and it sounds mighty dangerous to me to do both of these together.

I am following the lunch box diet which is simply a healthy breakfast, carb free large lunchbox filed with healthy foods like veg, salad and fruit and a balanced evening meal with wholegrain rice, noodles or pasta and fruit for later. This plus a litire of water each day, 20 minute cycle ride and hour of kettle bells a week, the weight is dropping off just as quickly as any crash diets I've done but this time I know what I'm eating and it's healthier. It's also much more sustainable since I know I can carry on with and suffer no side effects.
  • hotmat3khotmat3k Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shadow27 wrote: »
    I have done both and regretted it. Celebrity Slim does work but it's hugely antisocial and if the Dukan Diet hasnt' already given you bad breath then this one will. Fat loss pills just muck up your digestion and it sounds mighty dangerous to me to do both of these together.

I am following the lunch box diet which is simply a healthy breakfast, carb free large lunchbox filed with healthy foods like veg, salad and fruit and a balanced evening meal with wholegrain rice, noodles or pasta and fruit for later. This plus a litire of water each day, 20 minute cycle ride and hour of kettle bells a week, the weight is dropping off just as quickly as any crash diets I've done but this time I know what I'm eating and it's healthier. It's also much more sustainable since I know I can carry on with and suffer no side effects.
    Ditto! No pain, no gain!

Unfortunately, there are no miracle pills or tricks to lose weight fast. If they existed with no major side-effects, the said pharmaceutical company would be billionaires in the matter of weeks/months. As it goes, the more exercise you do, the more you are allowed to eat.

If you choose to do less exercise, then controlling the calories/fat is the only way forward.
  • marieukxxmarieukxx Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After being a size 8 all my life I put ona lot of weight after starting tablets for depression.

I've decided to take control of it and have so far lost 2 and half stone and feel great for it.

I've done this with calorie counting and watching fat intake. I've taken it slowly and not deprived myself. It's a lifestyle change for me now. I'm not on a strict "diet" until the weight has gone then going back to normal. I'm eating healthily all week and enjoying a treat or a nice meal and a drink at weekends.

That's the only realistic long term way forward. It's bloody hard at first but once it starts coming off and people notice you feel great.
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eat less, move more!
  • VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    Eat less, move more!

That's boring - people nowadays want a quick fix! But you're right - it's the only way really
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone I know who is slim has never taken any fat-poo pills, drunk any diet shakes or done any faddy diet. It's a long term change in lifestyle. Focus on eating properly, not shoving crap down your throat, and everything else will fall into place.
  • thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've been doing something similar since September, and it really is working. I got a bog standard exercise for £60 from Argos and began biking half an hour every evening in front of the telly, going from a pace and difficulty a baby could manage to pounding the top level every night by Christmas.

Diet-wise I was already eating a healthy and minimal set-up brekkie, because I hate eating early in the morning, and I phased in a salad lunch, with a tuna or chicken wrap or pitta. For dinner, I follow the simple rule of maximise the healthy parts and minimise the unhealthy ones.

I'm allowed a big old pile of carrots, broccoli etc, but only a small portion of the sauce!

I've now joined a cheap gym as I'm in training for a 40 mile walk (and a beach holiday!), but the program I was on before was working like a charm.
  • towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I've never tried either thing so I have no idea how effective they are, so does anyone know which order I should take them in, two weeks of shakes first, then fat melting pills, or the other way around? And I suppose it would be silly to take both simultaneously?

Do these pills come with the advice to eat less as well? If they do, its probably the diet rather than the pills that are helping you to lose weight.
  • calamitycalamity Posts: 12,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    danleto wrote: »
    It would be a stupid idea to take the "fat melting pills" in the first place. Healthy eating and exercise, the old fashioned way.
    aree and the only way to keep it off.. my friend tried lots of fast fixes and ended up even fatter .. take it slow and eat plenty of good food.. or join Weightwatchers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 300
    Forum Member
    I have found that these so called 'weight-loss shakes' are nothing but calorie laden milkshakes that are a bit thicker to trick you into eating less (doesn't always work).

You'd be better off buying Frijj milkshakes and having one twice a day and maybe a vitamin supplement too. Much cheaper and just the same. Then have a normal healthy meal in the evening (fish is good - as long as it's not fillet o' )
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,373
    Forum Member
    I like Slim fast.... only problem is it lacks in fibre so i add some Benefibre to the shakes when i have them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You all talked me into it - I was able to cancel my order. I don't want to mess up my system.

Weight-loss the long and boring way then:p
  • Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You all talked me into it - I was able to cancel my order. I don't want to mess up my system.

Weight-loss the long and boring way then:p

Phew :) Good luck - there is a weight loss thread buried in the Advice section that you can join to keep you going.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phew :) Good luck - there is a weight loss thread buried in the Advice section that you can join to keep you going.

yes, there is some very good advise on that thread. There is a web site that many people seem to be using, can't remember its name.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Two friends of mine (who are sisters) have both been on Lipotrim. Both of them have lost considerable amounts of weight in a few months, and are shadows of their former selves. It sounds great, but they explained to me all the things they have to do for it to work and it just seems so extreme and somehting I don't think I could stick to. You can't even chew chewing gum on it, it's that strict!
  • Dangerous.DaveDangerous.Dave Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marieukxx wrote: »

I've done this with calorie counting and watching fat intake. I've taken it slowly and not deprived myself. It's a lifestyle change for me now. I'm not on a strict "diet" until the weight has gone then going back to normal. I'm eating healthily all week and enjoying a treat or a nice meal and a drink at weekends.

This is by far the best way. I would be careful to get some fats in your diet, because as you know the body needs some good fats to function and cutting these out can be counter productive.

After a while you get a good sense of how much you are eating and can work out your "calories so far" during the day to get a rough idea.

I am afraid I have seen countless people start to diet with various shakes and fad diets but not one has managed to prevent their weight creeping back on when they have to go back to normal foods. They haven't learned how to eat healthy foods in healthy portions and how to eat all things in moderation.
  • Dangerous.DaveDangerous.Dave Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »
    Two friends of mine (who are sisters) have both been on Lipotrim. Both of them have lost considerable amounts of weight in a few months, and are shadows of their former selves. It sounds great, but they explained to me all the things they have to do for it to work and it just seems so extreme and somehting I don't think I could stick to. You can't even chew chewing gum on it, it's that strict!

I absolutely guarantee they will be back to their old size and then some when they inevitably have to stop this silly diet.