215 in 2015

DoohDahDoohDah Posts: 257
Forum Member
Will you all be attempting to read 215 this year? I think I will go for 50.

Now that I've finally finished my degree it should be much more manageable!

Comments

• clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,643
    Forum Member
    215s a bit too many for me!

I'll go for 60. One a week plus a few extra in the holidays.

Good Luck!
  • moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,889
    Forum Member
    I'll go for 45 in 2015 as I read 40 this year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't read anywhere near as many Books as I usually do this year.
    I'll aim for 35 in the New Year :)
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why the fixation on numbers? Quality matters more than quantity, surely. 215 chick-lit novels aren't much of an achievement.

Also, some books are very very long - I'm currently reading the Outlander series - have you seen the size of these books? But some on the previous thread (214 in 2014) actually counted graphic novels in! Not books as such, imo.

I am actually interested in the answer, I'm not just being awkward.

Another question - I've posted remarks in these threads occasionally, and been ignored. Does anyone read other people's posts or do they just list what they've read and have no interest in anyone else's choice?

In short, what is the point of this or any other "list" thread?

Thanks for any replies. If there are any.
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In answer to one of your questions, Granny McSmith, I for one, do read other people's lists and I find it helpful when people put a little synopsis or mark out of 10 so I can judge if it's a book I would also like to read.

The "what are you reading at the moment?" thread has more discussion so I tend to post in that as well.

Re. the length of the books - I read 22.11.63 in 2 days on holiday which is a very long book but it would have taken me weeks at home!

I read 58 in 2014 and will aim for 60 in 2015, the same as clm2017 and for the same reason i.e 1 a week and a few extra when I'm on holiday.

It's not a competition and obviously we all read at different paces and have different amounts of spare time available - it's just a bit of fun so enjoy! :)

I am currently 70% through a long book which I hope to finish on New Year's Day so that will be my first of the year :)
  • Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll go for 50 books again next year, hopefully I'll manage a few more than that.

It's always interesting to see what other people are reading, I''ve discovered some good books through these threads. The Books section does seem to be much quieter lately than it was a year or two ago.
  • DoohDahDoohDah Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    Hi Granny McSmith,

I wouldn't say it's a fixation on numbers but more of an encouragement to read more. A nice challenge for the new year, I guess. I never read chick-lit or romance type books.

Same as dOlphin, I do read the other threads and especially like the brief descriptions/discussions of the books. I quite often google the books that sound interesting for more info. I have actually read a book that was recommended on here and written back to let the person know.

Anyway, good luck to anyone attempting a reading challenge. Enjoy!
    Forum Member
    Why the fixation on numbers? Quality matters more than quantity, surely. 215 chick-lit novels aren't much of an achievement.

Also, some books are very very long - I'm currently reading the Outlander series - have you seen the size of these books? But some on the previous thread (214 in 2014) actually counted graphic novels in! Not books as such, imo.

I am actually interested in the answer, I'm not just being awkward.

Another question - I've posted remarks in these threads occasionally, and been ignored. Does anyone read other people's posts or do they just list what they've read and have no interest in anyone else's choice?

In short, what is the point of this or any other "list" thread?

Thanks for any replies. If there are any.

IIRC on the 2014 thread some people were up to about 10 books by the second week of Jan! Dunno what they were reading, must have been take away menus or something.

I've got The Three Musketeers and The Count of Monte Cristo to read in 2015 and they are both pretty weighty so might take a little longer than the week target!

I know what you mean about some of the list threads, it does feel a bit pointless sometimes. A bit more discussion wouldn't go amiss.
  • My Sweet LifeMy Sweet Life Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On Good Reads, I set a challenge for 40 books this year, but have only managed 35. I will aim for 35 next year and see how I get on. I love reading and always have a book (or three) on the go, but 215 is out of my league! I enjoy books, and don't always want to rush through them.
    Forum Member
    For me it was interesting to see how many books I actually read in a year. It didn't speed me up or anything, I didn't feel under pressure. I thought I read about 20-25 books a year but as i discovered last year I read 40, it was just interesting to log them somewhere.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me I've put a number forward as I didn't read as much as usual last year and would, if I'm honest, like to spend more of my free time reading in the New Year, rather than surfing the internet, which I tend to do at times.
    So this thread will be a means of spurring myself on to do that, plus I'm always interested in what others are reading.
    I tend to try to interract more on the what are you reading...thread though, although not quite as much as I used to, because I suspect that most people just post what they're reading and don't necessarily read others' posts - unless perhaps it's someone that they know has the same taste in books as they do.
  • Kitty5Kitty5 Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    I am going to set a target of 40 books this year.
    I have not been reading enough lately as I seem to spend a lot of time surfing the net on my Ipad!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is probably cheating as I'd read 92% by the end of 2014 but here we go with my first of the year!

1. The Secret Place - Tana French
    8/10 - The 5th book I have read by this author and not one of the best but only because the others were so good. I do recommend Tana French as an author for those who like a good crime thriller my favourite was In the Woods.
  • Button62Button62 Posts: 8,463
    Forum Member
    My target as always is 52. I just updated my last books of 2014 on the thread and sadly didn't reach my target last year.

I do read everyone's lists and am always interested in what others enjoy. As for the numbers, I never pay much attention to that. I am at a loss to understand how much reading some people have time for, but lagging far behind is not something I care much about. For me, as long as people enjoy their reading that's all that matters. It's not a competition or a race.

Posting in this thread does encourage me to read more though. Happy reading in 2015 :-)
    Forum Member
    Hurrah, I've finally finished my first book of the year. I guess it could be cheating if it was started in 2014 but I'm counting it anyway!

1. The Book Thief

I kind of struggled with making myself read this, maybe because it's quite a lengthy book. It wasn't until the final 200 pages that it started to grow on me a lot more. The book is narrated by Death and is set in Nazi Germany. 6.5 out of 10
    Forum Member
    DoohDah wrote: »
    Hurrah, I've finally finished my first book of the year. I guess it could be cheating if it was started in 2014 but I'm counting it anyway!

1. The Book Thief

I kind of struggled with making myself read this, maybe because it's quite a lengthy book. It wasn't until the final 200 pages that it started to grow on me a lot more. The book is narrated by Death and is set in Nazi Germany. 6.5 out of 10

No cheating there IMO, I'm doing exactly the same!

Hopefully I'll be finishing no1 later tonight.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you for all the interesting replies to my question.

I'll give it a go.

I'm currently reading Fiery Cross by Diana Gaboldon, fifth in the Outlander series of books. I may be some time. It has 1,412 pages, and I'm on page 371. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    I'm going to actually record what I read this year!!! I lost my way recording stuff last year but I think I got to about 65. I'm studying and working full time so I'm going for 52 this year... reading on my commute should allow me to get through a book a week.

1. Meet Me at the Cupcake Cafe by Jenny Colgan. I read this as I wanted to read the second book as it's set a Christmas. It was a lovely little book... nothing too hard hitting but a great wee story which was just the thing for the Christmas period.

2. Christmas at the Cupcake Cafe by Jenny Colgan. I liked this one but not as much as the first one but it was good to see what came of everyone. It's never going to be groundbreaking stuff but I liked it.
  • syramusyramu Posts: 1,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only read 21 books last year, so my plan to read more didn't work out very well. I aim for 215 books this year! It's less important to reach the goal than to open my mind with the things I read.

I always read others' posts in this thread, but I do wish there would be more description of the books in people's lists. At least some indication of whether they liked the book or not.... I often note down the books that seem interesting, or look them up on Goodreads or Amazon to find out more, and eventually I do sometimes read them. :)

I feel that if you finish the book in the current year, it counts for that year and that's not cheating at all. I always have a book or two in my list that I finish that has taken me across the border between years. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

2. The Outcast Dead - Elly Griffths
    10/10 - I absolutely loved this book. It's the first I have read by this author and unfortunately is the 6th in the series - I have put the other 5 on my Amazon wishlist but I will have to wait until my birthday in March to buy the rest - I love the feeling when you "discover" a new author! It's a detective story but tied in with a link to the past with an archaeological discovery.
    Forum Member
    d0lphin wrote: »

2. The Outcast Dead - Elly Griffths
    10/10 - I absolutely loved this book. It's the first I have read by this author and unfortunately is the 6th in the series - I have put the other 5 on my Amazon wishlist but I will have to wait until my birthday in March to buy the rest - I love the feeling when you "discover" a new author! It's a detective story but tied in with a link to the past with an archaeological discovery.

I love her too- we spend a lot of time in Norfolk where the books are set :)
    Forum Member
    Glad you are joining us Granny McSmith.

1. The Book Thief
    2. The Strange Library - Haruki Murakami
    Didn't realise when I bought this that it's actually more of a fairy tale/children's short story - oops! I read it in about 20 minutes. I still definitely want to try one of Murakami's full novels as he always gets good reviews.
  • thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will try for 52, although I usually forget to update the list after a couple of weeks!

1. 1Q84 book 1 by Haruki Marakami

7/10. Can be hard reading at time and not always at lot happening. Three books make up the whole story and have now started book 2
  • Katie-JaneKatie-Jane Posts: 1,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't quite manage my target of 50 books last year, so I am going to try again this year!

First book of the year done:

1) Buried in Benidorm by LH Thomson
    Forum Member
    Here we go then, like others I started this before the New Year :)

1. Revival by Stephen King