Moyles to join XFM?

Comments

• FM_BanditFM_Bandit Posts: 2,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »
    Not sure that Moyles style of radio would suit Absolute's breakfast format.

I strongly disagree. This is just the format that Frank Skinner & team use on Saturday breakfast and it has worked well for many years.
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FM_Bandit wrote: »
    I strongly disagree. This is just the format that Frank Skinner & team use on Saturday breakfast and it has worked well for many years.

I agree, unless he’s going to completely change his style, any radio station that employs Moyles is going to have to expect more talk than music, and probably a ‘zoo’ format. As you’ve said, Absolute are fine with that when it comes to Frank Skinner (who plays something like 5 or so songs an hour), he was even nominated (and won?) for ‘Best Speech Radio Show’. But would they be happy for it on weekday breakfast...

But we’re maybe getting carried away with the Absolute theory, the rumour was around a job at XFM after all.
  • bringbackGalaxybringbackGalaxy Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe Tabor wants to concentrate on the brands that fall within the family remit (Capital, Heart, Smooth), so is looking at rather than sell XFM (and probably Gold), franchise them out. Moyles (and Hirsty) have always been interested in owning / operating stations, so now might be the chance. Moyles would fit into the XFM brand with Hirsty in charge of the Gold (vinyl) format.
  • james_watersjames_waters Posts: 1,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would hate to see Jon go but still he has so much other work that I always thought the chance would come.

With Moyles everyone seems to think it would be his Radio 1 style of hour long chat but you forget that he is a pro and has a record of proven different styles.

If he is coming to Xfm it will mark the moment that Global are putting some money behind a strong brand with little market share and want to make it more appealing. Taking on a big name like Moyles will do that and make them a player in the London Market.

This could be very good news.

I do however always feel a bit condescend when each breakfast presenter (O'Connell, Zane, Wallace & Holmes) talk about being the "14th most listened to breakfast show in London" and I'm not sure why.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Interestingly Jon Holmes was chatting to someone who'd called for a competition last week and they got on to talking about the Royal Marsden hospital radio - he went on to say he'd be found doing breakfast there from September.....

True or just playing to this story?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    buntersuk wrote: »
    Interestingly Jon Holmes was chatting to someone who'd called for a competition last week and they got on to talking about the Royal Marsden hospital radio - he went on to say he'd be found doing breakfast there from September.....

True or just playing to this story?

I didn’t hear here it, but maybe it was a hint that he’s on his way out...

If it’s true surely something will be announced in the next few weeks.
  • SonOfPurpleSonOfPurple Posts: 2,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    I didn’t hear here it, but maybe it was a hint that he’s on his way out...

If it’s true surely something will be announced in the next few weeks.

The known:
    - TeamRock's coming off DAB next month and a replacement will be in the slot from September...
    - With this move, and Planet Rock lined up to move to D2 under Sound Digital there will essentially be a 'vacancy' for a rock-leaning station on D1...
    - Outside of the local versions for Manchester and Scotland most Xfm digital coverage outside London is of London service
    - Some Xfm DAB coverage has been lost in recent months, such as from the closure of MXR muxes (or changes to local muxes to free space for stations rolled down from MXR)
    - Global's put several of its London stations on national DAB (LBC, Cap XTRA) - and so has Bauer (Kiss, Magic)
    - Global may want a station that can compete at national level with 6 Music, in the same way CX competes with 1Xtra, say...
    - Stations taken off D1 have often (but admittedly not always) been replaced by similar services
    - When Smooth was run as a network service on D1, the Glasgow service with split local output remained available locally to Scotland on FM/DAB
    - Global announced their acquisition of extra D1 space for services such as Heart Extra some time before it was known TeamRock wouldn't be renewing its contract

My theory is that Xfm London will migrate to D1 in September, possibly with an altered lineup, and end its remaining carriage outside London, except for the local services in Manchester and Scotland which would remain available locally to their areas.
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's the new host on the one show 👍
  • Eddie MunsterEddie Munster Posts: 808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    He's the new host on the one show 👍

Are you serious?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did indeed her that comment from Jon and it's not the only one.

I will be truly gutted at I've loved the past 2 and a half years!
  • phildunk1986phildunk1986 Posts: 1,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a thought if Global relaunch XFM and put it on Digital One they may hire ex BBC 6 Music presenter Andrew Collins.

Andrew Collins already works for another Global station, Classic FM hosting Saturday Night At The Movies.

http://www.classicfm.com/radio/shows/saturday-night-movies/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I listened back to an old Moyles episode from a random Friday in 2007 yesterday, courtesy of the chrismoyles.net retro podcast feed. It's the first time I've gone back to an old show. I was interested to see how well the show stood the test of time and whether I was looking back with rose tinted glasses 3 years after it all ended.

If anything the show was even funnier and better than I remembered. The interaction between the team and with listeners was brilliant and there simply hasn't been anything else on the radio since that has come close.

I'd recommend delving back into the archive if you haven't done so.

If Moyles does join XFM, I would hope Dave and Dom could be part of the reformed package, as anything less might be a bit disappointing.
  • dzfootballdzfootball Posts: 4,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I listened back to an old Moyles episode from a random Friday in 2007 yesterday, courtesy of the chrismoyles.net retro podcast feed. It's the first time I've gone back to an old show. I was interested to see how well the show stood the test of time and whether I was looking back with rose tinted glasses 3 years after it all ended.

If anything the show was even funnier and better than I remembered. The interaction between the team and with listeners was brilliant and there simply hasn't been anything else on the radio since that has come close.

I'd recommend delving back into the archive if you haven't done so.

If Moyles does join XFM, I would hope Dave and Dom could be part of the reformed package, as anything less might be a bit disappointing.

Dom maybe, Dave doubt it they don't speak (apparent rumour of affair with Daves ex-wife), look at the chemistry on the last shows on Youtube barely acknowledges Chris
  • AliAsteriskAliAsterisk Posts: 109
    Forum Member

Does Dom not already work for Global? I think I seen something that he left the BBC to do news for Capital or Heart or something? If that was the case it would be more than likely he would be back on any new show on XFM :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does Dom not already work for Global? I think I seen something that he left the BBC to do news for Capital or Heart or something? If that was the case it would be more than likely he would be back on any new show on XFM :)

Dom DID do the news on Capital Breakfast (London), but left in June last year after just 15 months in the role. I don’t think he still works with any Global station.
  • davenicefabfmdavenicefabfm Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    Dom DID do the news on Capital Breakfast (London), but left in June last year after just 15 months in the role. I don’t think he still works with any Global station.

He was on LBC about a week ago doing the news
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just read this on Popbitch:

>> Air disaster <<
    Good morning, UKay

If we upset you earlier this
    year with news that Chris
    Moyles was coming back to
    breakfast radio with XFM this
    September, prepare to weep
    real tears when you find out
    who's going to be doing the
    show after Moyles every weekday.

Vernon Kay.

All we need is for Shed Seven,
    Dodgy and Phats and Small
    back as well then we'll
    be thinking of taking a gun
    to our radios. Or our heads.

**EDIT**

...and Richard Bacon on Drive according to Matt Deegan
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^lol

And will there be an exclusively 90s britpop playlist?
  • PausePause Posts: 809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just read this on Popbitch:

>> Air disaster <<
    Good morning, UKay

If we upset you earlier this
    year with news that Chris
    Moyles was coming back to
    breakfast radio with XFM this
    September, prepare to weep
    real tears when you find out
    who's going to be doing the
    show after Moyles every weekday.

Vernon Kay.

All we need is for Shed Seven,
    Dodgy and Phats and Small
    back as well then we'll
    be thinking of taking a gun
    to our radios. Or our heads.

**EDIT**

...and Richard Bacon on Drive according to Matt Deegan

I'd listen.
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would listen a lot to a station with Moyles at breakfast and Bacon at drive - not sure about the latter unless he's ending his American adventure (didn't sound he was when he stood in for Mayo)

If the rumours are true and Global are making such an investment surely the revised service has to be on D1 to make it worth their while? I suspect with a new name as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Guess if the relaunch is this big that explains why there's been no permanent replacement on the evening show since Danielle Perry left...

Alway enjoyed Richard Bacon on XFM / Capital drive a few years back....
  • hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Noticed
    Matt Deegan @matt
    Those 'new' XFM rumours in full then: Moyles for Breakfast, Vernon Kay for Mids and Richard Bacon for Drive. That would be quite a roster!
    And in the blog hinted at a name change
    The XFM network’s slumped to 884k reach, now beaten by digital-only Kerrang at 919k and now way behind 6Music’s 2,064m.

The rumours of taking the spectrum that XFM sits on and combining it with Moyles suddenly seems a very valid idea, whether or not they still continue to call it XFM.
    Like Choice being renamed Capital xtra (lost black music listeners in London, but nationally up), but makes the XFM FM frequencies more valuable and could be done under the existing analogue format, which if a rebrand brings in ex Moyles listeners for a good London rajar might work? And get established with new potential listeners before Virgin relaunches in 2016?.
    Radiowise have picked the news of Vernon Kay as well?
    http://radiowise.uk/will-vernon-kay-be-part-of-xfms-reboot/
    But does say rumours! Global are neither confirming or denying it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guess if the relaunch is this big that explains why there's been no permanent replacement on the evening show since Danielle Perry left...

Only just noticed that she is starting at Absolute this month doing a cheeky 4 - 6 weekday gig
    Alway enjoyed Richard Bacon on XFM / Capital drive a few years back....

Sill love his Capital jingles s2blue.com/RichardBacon
  • Radio_GeekRadio_Geek Posts: 2,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be surprised if they added this to the Capital brand (like Capital Xtra). I'm curious to know if they plan on moving the local breakfast hours in Scotland & Manchester, when the Chris Moyles Show launches?

Rob Da Bank & Gilles Pearson, are any of those two ideal for the new relaunch?

Eddy TM (apparently) doesn't approve/like the idea of Chris Moyles joining.. But if this rumour were true, I doubt he'll stay on with his excellent Remix program?
  • Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    Radio_Geek wrote: »
    But if this rumour were true, I doubt he'll stay on with his excellent Remix program?

Will the choice even be his? I doubt a line-up of Moyles, Kay and Bacon is going to be much about indie and alternative rock music. It's probably going to be a Global relaunch that goes gunning for Absolute, like Smooth's went gunning for Magic.

And/or, Global may see that Radio 1 (with Grimshaw & co) has alianated a lot of older Radio 1 listeners, who aren't quite into what either Radio 2 or Capital offer. So they may see a re-imagined XFM as a new home for them. A bit like Radio 1 without the boy band music. Or Absolute for 28-43 year olds.