Missing Syria girls' families criticise police over letter

BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31766328

The parents of the girls who went to join ISIS are now criticising the police for not telling them of a letter they gave the kids at the school. The letter warned them of a friend who went to join ISIS before they left. The letter was found hidden in the girls bedroom sometime after they had already left. The family believe had they seen the letter they could have stopped the girls going.

I always find cases such as this interesting. That the parents or family look to blame the authority be it the police, social worker or government in general. It normally follows a pattern of telling them media they should have done more.

I understand the parents may not understand why they left, they might not have been aware what their kids had really been up to. However I do question the fact if you as parents living with these kids day in day out. If you could not spot the signs, if you could not stop them travelling what really do you expect the Police to do.

Honestly what good would one letter have done ? Also how did you not know that her friend had already joined ISIS. My understanding was this was reported on the news surely it would have at least been common knowledge locally ? Did they really take so little interest in her school or friends that they where not aware ?

I feel like these stories leave many questions unanswered. They are set to position the Police in a bad light without asking the question everyone is thinking. In the pain the the family is going through nobody wants to ask them the difficult questions. to question why they blame the police but seem to take no responsibility for their own actions.

I don't blame the parents for their kids joining ISIS but I do blame them for trying to pin the blame on the Police. They brought those kids into the world, you accept the responsibility for their care. The kids of that age can determine their own future so the majority of the blame is with them not the Police.

Comments

• Cat-Cat- Posts: 7,612
    Forum Member
    I'm not yet convinced that ISIS is to blame for the West's problems.

I'm also not convinced of the propaganda by the BBC and other Western media.

In fact, I'm sick of the propaganda of our media.

As for ethnicity......I'm White, Scottish....baptised ss a Catholic......and could give a shit about religion. :cool:
  • dave clarkedave clarke Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TBF kids have hidden bad reports ,letters from teacher about behaviour etc for ever
    If you want the parents to know things send it to home address.Doesnt detract from the fact that it's not the polices fault and short of locking the girls up they would get away at some point if they want to. They should be blaming the extremists for radicalising the girls but that would never do would it
  • seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The police aren't at fault here, it's the compensation culture we live in.
    Forum Member
    TBF kids have hidden bad reports ,letters from teacher about behaviour etc for ever
    If you want the parents to know things send it to home address.Doesnt detract from the fact that it's not the polices fault and short of locking the girls up they would get away at some point if they want to. They should be blaming the extremists for radicalising the girls but that would never do would it

What extremists?

This is seriously pissing me off?
  • seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cat- wrote: »
    What extremists?

That's a bit extreme.
    Forum Member
    seacam wrote: »
    That's a bit extreme.

Your point?
  • RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    What extremists?

What do you mean 'what extremists'?
  • hopeless casehopeless case Posts: 5,245
    Forum Member
    So these girls had enough forethought to conceal an innocuous letter from the police. Sounds like they did quite a bit of planning.

The sister of one of the girls says if they had known, they would have taken precautions with her sister.

Yet in the sentence she says there were no signs and no change in behaviour.

So what precautions would she have taken in these circumstances, armed with a letter from the police asking to speak to the girls about their friend but stressing that they were not being investigated themselves?
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    And if the police had done more, would the parents be blaming them for harassing their daughters and making them join the extremists?
  • Cally's mumCally's mum Posts: 4,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's utterly ridiculous that they should blame everyone else. See, this is where I lose patience with them. The disappearance of the other girl was highly publicised. If they couldn't make the connection then or couldn't be bothered to make it and ignored the fact that this was happening in their community, in their school, then they have no one to blame but themselves.

Given that there apparently WERE no signs of these girls becoming radicalised, how is it the fault of anyone outside the family???

It's about time they stopped making themselves look ridiculous - which is what their baseless accusations do - and accept the fact that the only people to blame were the girls themselves and whoever convinced them that what they did was a good idea.

Thus culture of ascribing blame to everyone else but themselves is tiresome and utterly stupid.
    Forum Member
    It seems to me that the letter was talking about a friend of these girls? In which case the parents may not have known their child was friends with her. This is probably their reason for being annoyed. If the letter had gone to the parents directly and they found out the child who had gone already was linked to their girls then they could have looked out for subtle signs their girls were going to follow on.
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely the average parent, when seeing something about a child at the school theirs go to, would speak to their own children and talk about it. It shouldn't need a letter from the police to make that happen.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They really can't blame the police for this one.
  • MeridaMerida Posts: 2,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've no sympathy with these parents. One of the 15 year old girls told her father she was going to a wedding and would be back later that day. What right thinking responsible parent takes that at face value? Surely a responsible parent would know if their 15 year old was going to a wedding, who's wedding it was, where it was etc? They couldn't even manage that basic element of parenting yet blame the police for a letter? Get lost.
    Forum Member
    Croctacus wrote: »
    Surely the average parent, when seeing something about a child at the school theirs go to, would speak to their own children and talk about it. It shouldn't need a letter from the police to make that happen.

For all we know they did. If your child told you, on you asking them about a particular child at school, they didn't know them then you'd probably trust they were telling you the truth. No parent knows all their children's friends or acquaintances.
    Forum Member
    Merida wrote: »
    I've no sympathy with these parents. One of the 15 year old girls told her father she was going to a wedding and would be back later that day. What right thinking responsible parent takes that at face value? Surely a responsible parent would know if their 15 year old was going to a wedding, who's wedding it was, where it was etc? They couldn't even manage that basic element of parenting yet blame the police for a letter? Get lost.

Again, they were likely given information from the daughter about a wedding, and presumably thought she was trustworthy enough to believe.
    I'm not saying the police are to blame, but I can see why these parents may feel let down.
  • MeridaMerida Posts: 2,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Again, they were likely given information from the daughter about a wedding, and presumably thought she was trustworthy enough to believe.
    I'm not saying the police are to blame, but I can see why these parents may feel let down.

Any parent who believes their 15 year old is off to a wedding and doesn't double check what they have been told is irresponsible. Who's wedding? Do you know them? If not, why are they going to a wedding of someone you don't know? If you do know them then why aren't you also invited? Where is it? Who else is going? Have you checked arrangements with other parents? How are they getting there? When will they be back? How are they getting back? Not a case of "ok, see you later love, bye!" There's any number of alarm bells that should ring but it didn't. (not necessarily that they were about to run off to Syria but you should still be responsible enough to be asking all these questions!)
  • trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The nerve.

It is the girls' fault for not showing their parents the letter. That shows they were duplicitous.
  • hopeless casehopeless case Posts: 5,245
    Forum Member
    It seems to me that the letter was talking about a friend of these girls? In which case the parents may not have known their child was friends with her. This is probably their reason for being annoyed. If the letter had gone to the parents directly and they found out the child who had gone already was linked to their girls then they could have looked out for subtle signs their girls were going to follow on.
    Maybe. Maybe they paid no attention to what was going on in the school and didn't event know this girl had gone missing to Syria.

Maybe they did know but their daughter had said she wasn't friends with her.

Maybe they did ask all about the wedding because they asked for address, numbers etc.

I doubt it myself, because seeing that father cradling the teddy and saying there were no signs at all suggests either this girl grew up in a household where the West was regularly lambasted for its evil actions towards Muslims, or that there were really no signs at all. In which case, I don't see how the letter would have changed things.

However, if you are right, and they are annoyed because there were no signs, one might think that they would have been aware now that blaming the authorities for their own children going off to join a murderous Islamic cult is not the most sensible course to take, and that there are probably factors much closer to home that they should be concentrating on. Where are the parents mobilising themselves to demand what their children are being exposed to at the mosques and in schools? Or do they all just blame the authorities?
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member

I'm sure they blame the extremists as well.
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally, if I was undertaking that enquiry, I would have spoken to the parents to say I wanted to speak to their daughters, or sent the letter directly to them.

That is not to say the Police are to blame for what happened. They clearly didn't expect this trio to run off.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What extremists?

The ones speaking to the online according to news reports.
  • bookcoverbookcover Posts: 6,216
    Forum Member
    What extremists?

Perhaps the phrase, orthodox Muslim's is more to your liking, either that or, black clad recruiters. :confused:
  • bookcoverbookcover Posts: 6,216
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    The ones speaking to the online according to news reports.

I think this is a case of "ships?...I see no ships"

* holding telescope to blind eye*
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bookcover wrote: »
    I think this is a case of "ships?...I see no ships"

* holding telescope to blind eye*

Probably.