Options

Alexandra Burke inks new deal/ Ensures huge US backing for new album slated for Falll

Comments

• Options
    ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot more people know her than Alex :L

Why turn this into a Leona vs Alexandra thread? They are both incredibly talented women who have been screwed over by a stupid record label and management team. I am hoping in the not too distant future they will do a duet and smash the US charts..(one can only dream, lol :o)
  • Options
    gelbma0991gelbma0991 Posts: 4,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Niiiiiiik wrote: »
    Wrong market focus on Leona, do America still even know who she is :ssss

Leona hasn't promoted in the US for 4 years, so probably her fanbase has dwindled. And Alex hasn't been to the US yet, so that's why no one will really know her.
    Let's just stop this before it turns into a Leona vs Alex thread again, okay? They're both talented women who have been TERRIBLY mismanaged in their careers with Syco/Sony - thankfully Alex has managed to turn that around and score herself this deal. Hopefully Leona will follow suit after the new album this year and somehow get away from Sony too.
    VoodooChic wrote: »
    OK Dot Com - for some reason lost her more than half her fanbase. Which is ridiculous and somewhat scary that people can be that fickle!

I NEVER understood that, people have been adding "dot com" to phrases since I was at school, so it was definitely nothing new (I also heard someone say it on a chatshow the other day!) - yet people were going round like she was stupid and had invented the most ridiculous phrase ever. Shows how fickle the british public are though, they like to see you rise but love to see you fall.

Regardless, I'm very please for Alex - this has been a long time coming, and hopefully it will ensure she'll get a top notch album and promotion for this new release :D
  • Options
    CloudbusterCloudbuster Posts: 688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think she has a brilliant voice but talks utter crap which I find totally off putting

But good luck to her
  • Options
    digichantdigichant Posts: 3,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooh maybe she can crack the top 500.
  • Options
    iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member

I love Leona's voice and all...but fat load of good it's doing her :o

Just be happy for the girl.
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gelbma0991 wrote: »
    Leona hasn't promoted in the US for 4 years, so probably her fanbase has dwindled. And Alex hasn't been to the US yet, so that's why no one will really know her.
    Let's just stop this before it turns into a Leona vs Alex thread again, okay? They're both talented women who have been TERRIBLY mismanaged in their careers with Syco/Sony - thankfully Alex has managed to turn that around and score herself this deal. Hopefully Leona will follow suit after the new album this year and somehow get away from Sony too.

I NEVER understood that, people have been adding "dot com" to phrases since I was at school, so it was definitely nothing new (I also heard someone say it on a chatshow the other day!) - yet people were going round like she was stupid and had invented the most ridiculous phrase ever. Shows how fickle the british public are though, they like to see you rise but love to see you fall.

Regardless, I'm very please for Alex - this has been a long time coming, and hopefully it will ensure she'll get a top notch album and promotion for this new release :D

That's the problem for artists who come through reality tv.
    There is this sense of entitlement from the public of "we made you" and that they can very easily rip your career to shreds too when they feel like it.
    All it takes is something extremely trivial like "ok dot com" for the public to jump on the Alex hating bandwagon:rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    digichant wrote: »
    Ooh maybe she can crack the top 500.

Worldwide smash round two.
  • Options
    TheshaneTheshane Posts: 1,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If any of these record company guys are reading, look, its obvious you want to lose some money for a tax dodge here. I get that. I dig it.
    Amazon and Google do it, who can blame you?
    Anyway, here's my plan. As you're in the market to piss away money, instead of paying a fortune to Burke, I'll take a quarter of what she's being paid, you can punt out my name on any record you want.
    It wont sell either.
    You'll lose money and save tax without spending as much. And best of all I'll have a few bob for summer holidays.
    Everyone wins.
    Feel free to give me a shout record company suit man.
  • Options
    JustArunJustArun Posts: 8,941
    Forum Member
    Theshane wrote: »
    If any of these record company guys are reading, look, its obvious you want to lose some money for a tax dodge here. I get that. I dig it.
    Amazon and Google do it, who can blame you?
    Anyway, here's my plan. As you're in the market to piss away money, instead of paying a fortune to Burke, I'll take a quarter of what she's being paid, you can punt out my name on any record you want.
    It wont sell either.
    You'll lose money and save tax without spending as much. And best of all I'll have a few bob for summer holidays.
    Everyone wins.
    Feel free to give me a shout record company suit man.

The fact that you're relishing on someone's possible misfortune says a lot about your character. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JustArun wrote: »
    The fact that you're relishing on someone's possible misfortune says a lot about your character. :rolleyes:

It's quite hilarious. None of it is stopping her so...:D
  • Options
    TheshaneTheshane Posts: 1,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JustArun wrote: »

I just think its always hilarious when these X Factor folk fall in their arse but still think they can be a proper 'artist'.
    She took the quick route, won a game show, but that was 4 or 5 years ago. The fickle folk who watched the show have moved on.

Unlike acts that tour and gig and what not, she never built up a fanbase just viewers. So now they've moved on, she's got nowt to fall back on other than a career of diminishing returns.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bet she will slay united states now because her fans are never wrong with their expectations...or are they? :o
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1651218
  • Options
    ShoedShoed Posts: 5,891
    Forum Member
    frank5 wrote: »
    I bet she will slay united states now because her fans are never wrong with their expectations...or are they? :o

I didn't think let it go was a smash but I thought it would have been top 5 for sure by listening to the song.

You can say a lot about alex, but unlike other artists who 'flopped', they had the support and backing. If Let It Go got supported, things would have been different for that for sure.

She's a hard worker, a lot of you don't know Alex. Let me tell you one thing, she's determined. Just wait and see what's next, you'll see what i'm talking about in a few months time!
  • Options
    digichantdigichant Posts: 3,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

LMAO... how embarrassing!!
  • Options
    Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    This is great news for Alex and her fans, although people who think this "ensures huge US backing" are perhaps being optimistic. There's people with all sorts of record deals and management which don't get much attention from the labels.
  • Options
    paulbaxpaulbax Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just think its always hilarious when these X Factor folk fall in their arse but still think they can be a proper 'artist'.
    She took the quick route, won a game show, but that was 4 or 5 years ago. The fickle folk who watched the show have moved on.

Unlike acts that tour and gig and what not, she never built up a fanbase just viewers. So now they've moved on, she's got nowt to fall back on other than a career of diminishing returns.
    This entire posts just stinks of ignorance. You clearly haven't followed Alexandra's career since winning XF and are basically assuming she's done nothing since. Why don't you go and actually do your research and you'll see the amount of gigs, touring, promotion, hit singles, album sales and general hard work she's put in since. XF only gets you a record deal, what happens after then is all down to how willing the artist is to work. Honestly I don't understand why some people feed off negativity, leave us fans alone to discuss this since we actually know what we're taling about when it comes to Alex's career and go back to reading your monthly subscription of NME..bye :sleep:.
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Actually, as seen in that thread, some fans like me never liked Let It Go and thought Alex could do better:cool:
  • Options
    SpencerLeveySpencerLevey Posts: 1,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh please take you're ignorance elsewhere. The single was practically abandoned by having no Radio stations playing it. Let's not act like it was on Capital Radio on a loop. :cool:
  • Options
    ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Erh right, well actually before X Factor, she wasn't exactly just sitting around twiddling her thumbs. What a lot of people don't realise is that a lot of acts who do perform at gigs and venues go on X Factor to get recognition. It is the way to get a record deal now rather getting discovered by some random agent and it is a logical career decision, it shows initiative rather than relying on fate.
  • Options
    gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

its interesting re-reading some of that thread almost a year later and i can honestly say i still stand by my final comment in that thread. so i am not surprised by the defensive way some of fans comment on this new thread. what does surprise me however, is the way that some fans are surprised by the negative comments. alex was clearly not a forum favourite this time last year and not a lot as changed in that respect.

if fans want to chat amongst themselves in a positive manner without negative comments, there is an appreciation thread for that. so fans insulting other fms just because they happen to have a different opinion isn't going to endear alex on anyone.

anyway, i wish to congratulate alex on her new us management, you cant keep a good girl down.:)
  • Options
    iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    Eric_Blob wrote: »
    This is great news for Alex and her fans, although people who think this "ensures huge US backing" are perhaps being optimistic. There's people with all sorts of record deals and management which don't get much attention from the labels.

It depends. I'd agree, but considering what happened last year, we may be wrong. It's about what her new team want to do with her. KWL is a very good management group, and she's already got a very big US industry gig in early June (A Chaka Khan tribute (well to her specifically this year) and all the big US black stars attend) considering she's a nobody there. We just have to see. She will succeed or not.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haha some of the singles from her debut may as well have been S Club Juniors. This new label better not turn her into a pop tart like the others as it's disrespectful to her and her talent. I'm sure they won't though, better not!

I know right! They sounded very karaoke and definitely did not show her full potential as an artist.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That thread is so funny and yet so sad. I don't think there is a better example of the disillusioned. Unless it was Marcus Collins fans who said he was going to be the new Bruno Marrs and ended up touring with 'Hairspray' or Leon Jackson as the new Michael Buble.
  • Options
    Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    jackbell wrote: »
    That thread is so funny and yet so sad. I don't think there is a better example of the disillusioned. Unless it was Marcus Collins fans who said he was going to be the new Bruno Marrs and ended up touring with 'Hairspray' or Leon Jackson as the new Michael Buble.

I'd say Lady Gaga fans were the most disillusioned I've ever seen. Mid-2009, after she released like 3 or 4 songs they were saying she's revolutionized pop music and has become the "Queen of pop" lol.
  • Options
    gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jackbell wrote: »

i do agree that some fans of x factor singers do get carried away and do tend make some ridiculous non factual comments. another x factor fan base that has its fair share of the disillusioned would be the joe mcelderry fan base. some of them often assert that joe is a successful album artist and that his success on the album charts explains his lack of ongoing success on the singles chart.

however, the reality is joe`s album sales fall way below what is deemed impressive within the industry and he has actually sold more singles than he has albums.:o