Options

Foxes should have had an acting role in the episode

FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
Forum Member
I would have liked to see Foxes in action instead of just an extra. Of course, she probably has limited drama experience but it would've been nice to see something like what they did with Tullula with 3 L's back in Series 3, on a smaller scale.

Comments

• Options
    solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only after she learns to lip synch.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Her acting couldn't be worse than her singing
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Foxes was a group:blush:

I presume she was the singer?
  • Options
    tomwozheretomwozhere Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say she's normally a pretty good singer but I don't think she was that special in tonight's episode
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    tomwozhere wrote: »
    I'd say she's normally a pretty good singer but I don't think she was that special in tonight's episode

She was underused in this episode.

There is the full version of the song on youtube.

I thought she was going to be acting and having a major role in the show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    She was underused in this episode.

There is the full version of the song on youtube.

I thought she was going to be acting and having a major role in the show.

Seen the full version and it's crap she has ruined the 2nd greatest song by the greatest group in music history
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I don't get this notion of ruining a song by singing a cover of it. If I painted a Van Gogh painting despite having the skill-expanse of drawing stick people, would that mean I've ruined the painting? Of course not, and you're free to take or leave my version as you wish.

For what it's worth I really quite liked Foxes version of the song. I'd have loved to have seen just one or two acting lines from her as well, just to establish her as an actual person in-series rather than a stunt-cast cameo, but I can't complain at what she delivered. The in-episode version sounds better than the one released onto her Youtube channel for some reason.
  • Options
    solarpenguinsolarpenguin Posts: 488
    Forum Member
    I don't get this notion of ruining a song by singing a cover of it. If I painted a Van Gogh painting despite having the skill-expanse of drawing stick people, would that mean I've ruined the painting? Of course not, and you're free to take or leave my version as you wish.

That's not a fair comparison. Music works at much more primal level than mere visual art. It gets deeper into the brain, where it makes stronger, longer-lasting connections that affect us more. That's why people experience earworms, but never eyeworms.

In this case, the link between Foxes' cover and the Queen original is enough for us to now be reminded of one whenever we hear the other. And having two very different versions of the same song playing in your head at the same time is annoying and distracting. It really does ruin the enjoyment of the song.

Anyway, for anyone else who's having this problem the way round this, ironically, is to listen to the new version over and over and over again, This eventually tricks your brain into thinking of it as a new song in its own right, and breaks the link with the other version. (But until that link is broken, the re-listening won't be pleasant.)
  • Options
    Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The original is great

The slow down version is a great tribute

The whole thing on youtube - 3 minutes-ish of Foxes singing accompanied by video summary of the season so far and small spoilers - great way to promote both Foxes and Capaldi as Docotr Who.

Thats my opinion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    I was expecting her to have a bigger role and did expect her to reappear after her first scene. Just seemed pointless.
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm getting on a bit, so assumed Foxes was one of those beat combos one hears so much about and she was the singer.

As far as I know, she's not an actress so don't quite see the OP's point?
  • Options
    Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm getting on a bit, so assumed Foxes was one of those beat combos one hears so much about and she was the singer.

^This
  • Options
    Forum Member
    solenoid wrote: »
    Only after she learns to lip synch.

Did you not see DW Extra? She wasn't lip syncing. Don't be so rude.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Just because she's not an "actress" doesn't mean she couldn't have an expanded role. Plus, you clearly didn't read my post. I did elaborate on the fact that she may not have much experience.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    I thought she was quite good last night :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Firegazer wrote: »
    Just because she's not an "actress" doesn't mean she couldn't have an expanded role. Plus, you clearly didn't read my post. I did elaborate on the fact that she may not have much experience.

I'll happily plead ignorance here but I have no idea whether she's acted at *all* professionally or not, never mind had "limited experience". No idea! I know Miranda Raison is a professional actress.

Edit: Then again, it didn't stop Katherine Jenkins getting a sizeable role in A Christmas Carol and I don't personally consider her an actress. Charlotte Church...more like it! She was great in the recent TV Under Milk Wood. And she's got the Polly Garter role in the film that's coming up. This is a bit OT isn't it. :blush:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

See Billie Piper for example. Or to bring it a bit more recent Frank Skinner who is definitely not first and foremost and actor.
  • Options
    JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seen the full version and it's crap she has ruined the 2nd greatest song by the greatest group in music history

I don't recall her singing a Beatles song. ;-)
  • Options
    BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why? I've never heard of her before this episode and as she isn't an actress then why should she then deserve to have a wider part?

When I heard foxes was going to be on the show I assumed they meant the kind I see sitting on my lawn in the summer :D
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Badcat wrote: »
    Why? I've never heard of her before this episode and as she isn't an actress then why should she then deserve to have a wider part?

When I heard foxes was going to be on the show I assumed they meant the kind I see sitting on my lawn in the summer :D

She was too busy sleeping in my garden.

http://youtu.be/YIg8CEmKPxo
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't recall her singing a Beatles song. ;-)

I hope she doesn't she doesn't cover any of their songs either they are also in my top 3 groups ever and while Queen sing my 2nd favourite song of all time John sings my number 1 song of all time (Imagine)
  • Options
    MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    Badcat wrote: »

Yeah - they should only have proper, serious actresses like Billie Piper and Catherine Tate.
  • Options
    stafsstafs Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Before the episode, I saw so many people complaining about a famous singer being used in this episode and how it was stunt casting and she would ruin it. Now the episode has aired, I see people are now complaining she was underused because all she did was sing.

Do you have any idea how ridiculous this sounds? They needed a singer on the train, so they hired a singer. It's as simple as that!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah - they should only have proper, serious actresses like Billie Piper and Catherine Tate.

Well, I personally think they're both very good actresses. :p
  • Options
    MikaRimmerMikaRimmer Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    with Tullula with 3 L's back in Series 3,
    Tullulah....3 L's and a H.....

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist, I feel terrible! Haha, that's a phrase that has stuck with me for years!