New update when?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 549
Forum Member
✭✭
So isn't it about time another update or more correctly fixed software is released?

STILL waiting for the USB to be sorted since November.......

Hello Humax are you listening?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah they said they will follow up the 3rd software update from last month with more work over the summer. I dont know if you remember but there were a few posts about collecting lots of info from owners about bugs and issues just recently, and Humax went over it with some members here before sending it to the engineers. Looks like they have got all our stuff and some other changes driven internally so its shaping up to be a busy sommer for the engineers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 210
    Forum Member
    MPEG StreamClip seems to sort out 'corrupt' USB transfers for me. Just import the .ts file then export as MPEG.

http://www.squared5.com/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flemmo wrote:
    MPEG StreamClip seems to sort out 'corrupt' USB transfers for me. Just import the .ts file then export as MPEG.

http://www.squared5.com/

Flemmo, Keith cant connect or keep a connection up long enough to transfer stuff properly.

It might be an idea Keith in the mean time for you to take up Andys (user name: sidaxp) offer to check its not something wrong with your machine (If andys offer still stands :o )
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    marcdavis wrote:
    Flemmo, Keith cant connect or keep a connection up long enough to transfer stuff properly.

It might be an idea Keith in the mean time for you to take up Andys (user name: sidaxp) offer to check its not something wrong with your machine (If andys offer still stands :o )

Does any of that get over the fact that Humax have admitted in writing that the software is faulty, and have yet failed to do anything in all this time to correct it, apart from empty promises.

I suppose they just want our money..............

Well I for one will not be buying any further of their products and I will tell as many people as I can about their faulty goods and attitude to their customers.

If they don't like that, then let them sue, I welcome them trying to defend themselves in court.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    err, Keith you asked a simple question and I made a simple post (no.2). Either you haven’t read it or you needed to ignore it in order to make the point.

I dont think their engineers are a big enough group so their time is probably shared amongst all their product range for development, new releases, all the existing products and older ones. I happen to know the release of the 9200t in Finland was supposed to be released in January but due to problems on the 9200t with the lockups and lost recordings they could not afford to do so. It wasn’t until the last software update that Humax were able to release the 9200t in Finland without the issue of lost recordings during June. Following the release in June the engineers were following that Finnish 9200t with an initial work on a software update on it where there were some minor issue found and wanted to get rid off before focussing on the UK 9200t again. That time is now and will be over the summer - which should be to your delight considering how long you have been without a PC connection.

Until the last software update the crucial effort was about lost recordings bug and the lockups. Now they released the software to address those issues in June (and get the Finnish 9200t out at long last) these other things can happen. Again that should please you given how much they have tested your patience! I have emails and discussions about a number of things late last year that didn’t happen until this summer and some are still on the list - so redoing elinker or the USB driver is just one aspect that hasn’t had a complete sort out yet. But as far as I can tell the stuff that’s left is not going to be ignored and the June release was not the last software update on the 9200t.

Humax apologised to you for other things getting in the way of this problem being resolved already but i think it showed good will on their part to arrange a refund with your retailer on your behalf. I know you like the machine a lot but if they have vexed you so much about this particular one on the list for this summer then take up their offer.

All this talk about the 9200t and people will start to forget again the amount of products Humax have and that they have to support - so I still don’t get the impression they are deliberately trying to not do anything and lie to customers. Sh*t happens and I'm sorry the elinker/USB thing isn’t the first thing on their mind when it comes to their priorities across the board. However if the majority of people don’t get problems with it - it will not be treated like another lockups and lost recordings bug.

I don’t wish to quarrel with you however i have clearly wound you up in the past in reply to some of your antics. I hope you don’t take this the wrong way. If its any consolation I wouldn’t mess you around. If I felt things were not progressing in the way they should be I wouldn’t offer my support in making those things happen. There is still keen-ness and enthusiasm for this product with the people I deal with and a lot to look forward to still even now with the 9200t. these guys are the best people you culd hope to deal with when it comes to PVR manufacturers- its just that business, economics, problems and resourcing often get in the way of perfection ;) :eek:
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    Why oh! why are some getting angry about the USB tranfer? Ok it says it on the box, but dont get me wrong but the most important thing that the majority of us got the 9200T for works. ie: watching Freeview/TUTV,pause, rewind,fastforward, record 2 channels etc, now we have chase-play, which in my opinion is more important than USB transfer.
    Give Humax credit they have sorted the main problem we all had which prevented us from watching most freeview channels due to lock-ups which I think was at the top of the list. They also gave us chase-play which they didnt have to as its not on the box, but they did which was a extra bonus.
    We also have been given auto padding to make our lives a bit easier. Again they didnt have to as you were able to do it manualy.
    The USB will get sorted eventually, but I dont think its on there priority list at the moment and will get done once the priority things are out of the way...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    You can tell the weather's got hot - toys out of the pram all over the forum. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 210
    Forum Member
    It can be frustrating when it doesn't quite do what it says on the tin. But from my experience with these kind of products, Humax seem to actually care about its customers.

I had the Samsung Sir-u200i before my 9200t because it advertised itself as '7 day epg ready'. Great I thought. In 3 years of owning the box (2 years with 7 day epg being broadcast) Samsung never updated their software to display it and gave up supporting the unit alltogether.

So I must say Humax giving us new features and promising to fix the bugs is like a breath of fresh air. I haven't owned any other pvrs, but from the reviews I have seen there isn't a freeview pvr that beats the 9200t.
    Also dont forget that its Humax that have supplied the units for the BBC's HD Freeview trials in London. No doubt this will take some of their time also.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Marc

To me the end of July is getting towards the end of the summer and as you are aware we were told that they were looking at the problem last year, what should we believe?

I can appreciate that they had to hold the Finland release, but would assume that it was because they did not want to add to the ever growing number of disatisfied customers.

TBH if they have one software engineer or 1 thousand that is surely not the customers worry? As you know I find it very annoying that extra facilities are added when they have not sorted the basic faults in the machine, but I suppose that as I am in the minority that is ok.

marcdavis wrote:
    Humax apologised to you for other things getting in the way of this problem being resolved already but i think it showed good will on their part to arrange a refund with your retailer on your behalf. I know you like the machine a lot but if they have vexed you so much about this particular one on the list for this summer then take up their offer.

Sorry, you have lost me, I have never been offered a refund, al I want is to have a unit that does what it says on the box - unreasonable, well maybe!

All this talk about the 9200t and people will start to forget again the amount of products Humax have and that they have to support

and
    There is still keen-ness and enthusiasm for this product with the people I deal with and a lot to look forward to still even now with the 9200t. these guys are the best people you could hope to deal with when it comes to PVR manufacturers- its just that business, economics, problems and resourcing often get in the way of perfection ;) :eek:

Is that some sort of excuse to release what was obviously a bug ridden product. If they are such a big company, you would think they would thus be more professional?

While it is great that they still have enthusiasm, at the end of the day, it is results that count! And without happy customers, they won't have much of a business.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keith, a twin tuner freeview PVR is released and it has some bugs - par for the course. A twin tuner freeview PVR manufacturer who acknowledges bugs and bits that are crap - unusual. A manufacturer that keeps on fixing bugs and improving the machine - not just a one off or once a year - again unusual. Wake up to the real world of twin tuner PVRs in this country and realise that its lucky for us Humax are the manufacturer. How many of manufacturers can you think of that bends to the needs and requirements of its customers.

Humax have become the biggest PVR manufacturer in this country and that is based on one PVR product - the 9200t solely. You cant do that if customers are not satisfied, especially at £200 or over. Fusion are the second biggest accoding to sales of all of its PVR models put together. In Fusions hey day last year (and thats before breakdowns revealed the full extent of its problems and retailers receiving 1 in 3 returned units forcing to pull all their stock off the shelves) they sold around 50K units in total of their 3 PVR models in 2005. In 7 months Humax sold 45K units of the 9200t model alone, surpassing Topfield total sales within the first couple of months or so. If anything, Humax's continual support for bugs, issues and user requested enhancements against a previous backdrop of not enough engineers and not enough staff on support will get easier with its success and there is no reason to think it will all just stop.
  • mkstevomkstevo Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    To be honest , I am pleased that my box no longer locks up every few days .

If I really wanted to , I can copy programmes from the Humax to DVD by playing them out on the Humax , and recording them onto DVD .

I did ( once ) manage to make a DVD by exporting the programme via USB , using around 100 different programs on the PC to alter the video stream then burn it onto a DVD .Time taken ? 4-5 hours . For a 30 minute programme . Quicker just to record it on the DVD recorder through the scart cable ...

I have managed to connect to the Humax with my ( very peculiar Transmeta based ) laptop and have transferred data to and from it this way without major problems , so whilst Elinker may not be the best program ever it does function for most people , and I think that Keith has been unfortunate to find a combination of equipment that does not want to work together , but I don't think that many people would actually want to use the facility , especially given how hard it is to produce a decent DVD at the end of the process . So I can see why it is low priority . At least it is being worked on ... Many manufacturers would simply not bother .

Now if Humax could give us a program that would connect up to the 9200 ask which programme to archive then burn a DVD with titles , menus and automatic five minute track breaks , all with one click , and in under 5 minutes I'd use it . 'Till then , I'll stick with recording onto my DVD recorder ...

Should also point out , this program would have to be Mac compatible too . Not just confined to Windows .

It could perhaps come with 100 blank DVDs too ... And print a label on the top of each disk ... A picture for the disk box ... Track listings ... Cast list ... Link to the website of the program ...

Sorry , got carried away with myself there .

Back to reality [ BUMP ] .
  • wgmorgwgmorg Posts: 5,020
    Forum Member
    I think Humax have been spending their resources on exactly the right things... making it better for the vast majority of its users.

Its bad luck having PCs that don't work with the 9200T.

So isn't it about time another update or more correctly fixed software is released?

STILL waiting for the USB to be sorted since November.......

Hello Humax are you listening?
  • ClaratClarat Posts: 4,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Humax have been perfect in the way they have dealt with this product. It works really well and they have released regular updates which have solved the majority of problems for the vast majority of customers. They have however had to prioritise and if that upsets a few people who want to do something obscure with their box I think its fine. If they manage to get around to fixing this little issue it will be fantastic, but they were absolutely right to deal with the lock ups (not that I ever had any!) and chase play first.
  • AcciesAccies Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    I can only say that I find it to be one of the best pieces of kit that I have owned. I have yet to see a piece of electronic equipment that does not have problems, and the way to judge it is by the after-sales service. As far as I can see, Humax is one of the better ones. When you compare them to the likes of Philips, you realise how good they are at dealing with customer problems.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    Accies wrote:
    I can only say that I find it to be one of the best pieces of kit that I have owned. I have yet to see a piece of electronic equipment that does not have problems, and the way to judge it is by the after-sales service. As far as I can see, Humax is one of the better ones. When you compare them to the likes of Philips, you realise how good they are at dealing with customer problems.

I'd concur with that Accies, I'd also like to say that I've never had a problem with holding the USB connection to the Hummy, albeit there was a bit of trouble initially getting the laptop to recognise it but after that no problem.......is it just me? or do other users manage a connection ok?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Birdie18 wrote:
    I'd concur with that Accies, I'd also like to say that I've never had a problem with holding the USB connection to the Hummy, albeit there was a bit of trouble initially getting the laptop to recognise it but after that no problem.......is it just me? or do other users manage a connection ok?

Over the course of the last 8 months there have been many cases where people have been posting about trouble connecting - some being able to resolve but there are still cases like Keith where I am sure this is still a problem and dont use the function. We started a poll about who is able to use the feature to OK and more than 80% of forum members were using it fine - so I suspect there are many that cant use it but its apparant that is not the majority - which concurs with information gathered centrally at Humax contact centre. I count myself lucky but its still something needs to be addressed. Humax have plans to do a few things around transfering recordings not limited to connections, around the software used and maximising the speed and they will be looking to some forum members to help them with that. I believe they have already established initial contact with Andy too (author of Humax Media Controller) and are aware of some of the people they can involve with input at the right time. Initial discussions have taken place about whether to keep elinker or use an alternative tool to directly access the disk via the USB connection - or if keeping elinker improve it with built in support for error checking together with the PVR end. Hi Speed transfer will also be enabled if it is a restriction with firmware and if that is not possible the Turbo mode to double the speed will be done either instead or both.
  • kragbellkragbell Posts: 253
    Forum Member
    marcdavis wrote:
    Over the course of the last 8 months there have been many cases where people have been posting about trouble connecting - some being able to resolve but there are still cases like Keith where I am sure this is still a problem and dont use the function. We started a poll about who is able to use the feature to OK and more than 80% of forum members were using it fine - so I suspect there are many that cant use it but its apparant that is not the majority - which concurs with information gathered centrally at Humax contact centre. I count myself lucky but its still something needs to be addressed. Humax have plans to do a few things around transfering recordings not limited to connections, around the software used and maximising the speed and they will be looking to some forum members to help them with that. I believe they have already established initial contact with Andy too (author of Humax Media Controller) and are aware of some of the people they can involve with input at the right time. Initial discussions have taken place about whether to keep elinker or use an alternative tool to directly access the disk via the USB connection - or if keeping elinker improve it with built in support for error checking together with the PVR end. Hi Speed transfer will also be enabled if it is a restriction with firmware and if that is not possible the Turbo mode to double the speed will be done either instead or both.

Not wishing to speak on keith's behalf but I think the key to satisfying owners suffering the problem is finding out when?

Keith's commentary on his life with his hummy shows a user dissappointed with the difficulties in file transfer leading to a very dissappointed user having spoken to Humax, reported the issue, been told it'd be fixed (can't recall if a timescale was given) and then seeing no development what so ever.

The initial problem has been compounded by seemingly an "empty promise". I suspect no-one said "I promise" but the customer expectation was that the issue was being looked at and that therefore a fix would be forthcoming.

The humax website states...
    With USB2.0, Duovisio allows MPEG A/V file transfer between Duovisio and a PC. Duovisio allows viewer to enjoy digital photos on a large TV screen or to listen to MP3 files downloaded from a PC.

...so as Keith makes clear time & again, it's a problem which affects a quoted functionality of the product but development/fixes have been ignored/delayed whilst other functionality (egchase play, auto-padding) are added which is obviously is to gain a larger user base and NOT just to please us alreay using the Hummy.

If humax are NOT going to develop the stability/reliability they should state so. marcdavis, your post suggests otherwise.

They should therefore give an unequivocal date by which the end users will see the fruits of the development. It would stop a number of users from returning the goods (regardless of the other good points of the Hummy) when a real end is in sight.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very sensible and logical post. Completely agree. Although giving a date is something i can not imagine any of the manufacturers doing but that would be lovely.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    I really don't understand Keith's obsession with his USB transfer problem. As marcdavis has said, over 80% of responses to the poll said it works. It works for me, without having done anything special, using a 3m USB cable bought from Asda for £5.99. Humax's USB transfer facility does work.

So if I was having Keith's problems I'd be looking at my set up, not the Humax. And if I couldn't get it to work and it was so important to me, I'd ditch the Humax and go for something else.

Why should Humax spend effort on a minor facility that works for the majority of users? I would much prefer that they worked on higher priority issues. Sorting out the "thinks it's recording" problem would be top of my list.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jo90 wrote:
    I really don't understand Keith's obsession with his USB transfer problem. As marcdavis has said, over 80% of responses to the poll said it works. It works for me, without having done anything special, using a 3m USB cable bought from Asda for £5.99. Humax's USB transfer facility does work.

So if I was having Keith's problems I'd be looking at my set up, not the Humax. And if I couldn't get it to work and it was so important to me, I'd ditch the Humax and go for something else.

Why should Humax spend effort on a minor facility that works for the majority of users? I would much prefer that they worked on higher priority issues. Sorting out the "thinks it's recording" problem would be top of my list.

to befair Humax have collected a bunch of stuff they are going to look at this summer and am expecting certain bugs and the transfer issues to be looked at during that process.
  • wgmorgwgmorg Posts: 5,020
    Forum Member
    As long as they look at important things that effect the majority not unimportant things that effect a minority.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as they look at important things that effect the majority not unimportant things that effect a minority.

It is true they should concentrate on bugs TISR and so on, but not at the entire expense of the other issues. Just because you don't have an issue with some things doesn't mean that they are unimportant and can be a real problem for other people.

I do get a little tired of the they only have a few resources and they are trying their best talk. They are a business not my friend, I expect propely tested software. I'd rather wait longer for working software then have 2 or 3 updates untill it works properly. Get everything working 1st then add extra functions. It's been said before. :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    I guess my views on the current (pretty grim) USB features are between the two extremes.

I would *not* have bought the 9200T if it didn't have USB transfer capability. I would have instead bought a Toppy.

The 9200T *is* a great bit of gear but I'm still pretty bitter that the advertised USB transfer capability is so bad. It does "kind of" work with my notebook, but about 50% of transfers fail and I have to do 2-3 transfers to be able to merge a clean copy. And it's really slow, partly because of the slow transfer speed, and partly because it has to be done several times.

OK, so Humax have done some good stuff BUT it's an inescapable fact that they absolutely should have got USB right before launch and absolutely should have hired a new engineer to fix this problem long before now. Let's face it, whoever had this first go really isn't capable of getting it to where it needs to be.

If you bought a new BMW, had a few problems, and nearly a year later the dealer said, "OK, the air conditioning still doesn't work, but we've solved the problem with the unreliable brakes.", would you feel comforted that the dealer had their priorities right or a bit pissed off that you still didn't have what you'd paid for?

Ian
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wgmorg wrote:

Nice attitude!!!

I hope YOU live to regret that............
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    By a process of deduction over the last 6 months i've come to the conclusion that the factor affecting USB transfer is not the cable (quality or length), operating system, RAM, software etc. but whether the PC has an INTEL chipset. If it doesn't I think thats where the unreliability comes in.

Where does the fault lie? Humax - because they should have hardware that is more compatible with a wider range of PC motherboards - or the manufactuers of these unstable chipsets/motherboards themselves? I dunno.