Options

Classic Doctors "weak and cheesy" compared to Tennant

Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
Forum Member
✭✭✭
According to DJ Simon Mayo in today's Metro.

David Tennant was my favourite: the past Doctors were fine for their time but, compared with what David did, they all look a bit weak and cheesy.

OK, he's entitled to his opinion, but surely the original actors deserve a bit more respect than that, for without them, the series wouldn't have established its reputation?

What do you reckon?

Comments

• Options
    IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
    Forum Member
    He's talking out of his posterior. Unusual for Mayo, as he's normally a pretty intelligent guy - doing a weekly show with the lousy Mark Kermode must be rubbing off on him ...........
  • Options
    Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought they were all good except the ones I've never seen, can we please not have another argument thread :):)
  • Options
    sovietusernamesovietusername Posts: 1,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ****head. I love Tennant but all the classic Doctors had amazing talent as well. Mybe you could say some of the special effects or incidental music was horrid and cheesy but the actors themselves are LEGENDS, I mean we're talking the likes of brilliant actors like Hartnell, McGann and Baker here, and thats jnust to mention a few, all 8 are fantastic.
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jon Ross wrote: »

David Tennant was my favourite: the past Doctors were fine for their time but, compared with what David did, they all look a bit weak and cheesy.

OK, he's entitled to his opinion, but surely the original actors deserve a bit more respect than that, for without them, the series wouldn't have established its reputation?

What do you reckon?
    Pertwee and T Baker weren't cheesy and weak, maybe Davision. Bet Mayo wouldn't say that to the current living Doctors though!
  • Options
    meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,110
    Forum Member
    Don't know what he means by weak.
    And I think David Tennant was one of the cheesiest Doctors, but there's nothing wrong with being cheesy in my opinion. lol
  • Options
    Stever7Stever7 Posts: 1,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What do you reckon?

I agree with what you said. He didn't say they were bad or shouldn't be liked or enjoyed. As far as I'm concerned he's allowed to think that even if others (and/or myself) think otherwise.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't know what he means by weak.
    And I think David Tennant was one of the cheesiest Doctors, but there's nothing wrong with being cheesy in my opinion. lol

I agree about DT's Doctor. He was quite cheesy. That's partly why I like him so much. :)
  • Options
    FacepalmerFacepalmer Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    I fancy a cheese n mayo sandwich now.
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find it difficult to describe any of the Classic Doctors as cheesy, especially Hartnell. Mayo is entitled to his opinion off course but without those 'cheesy' Doctors, we wouldn't have a New Series to enjoy.....

:)
  • Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    I thought they were all good except the ones I've never seen, can we please not have another argument thread :):)

They were good too :)
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they were weak and cheesy then so am I.

No crackers, Gromit! We've forgotten the crackers! :eek:
  • Options
    DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    Guys, its just an opinion, and like ar*seholes, everyone has one!
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DoctorQui wrote: »
    Guys, its just an opinion, and like ar*seholes, everyone has one!

And they shouldn't be aired in public! :D
  • Options
    DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    And they shouldn't be aired in public! :D

Good point well made, CHJ!
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member

What do you reckon?

He is trying to demonstrate that old adage 'Tis better to be thought a fool, than open ones big mouth and remove all doubt'

Look at some of the Classic Who and they are anything but cheesy - not sure what he means by weak.
  • Options
    steven1977steven1977 Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What do you reckon?

Rubbish!

Tom baker, Jon Pertwee & Pat troughton were all better Doctors than david.
  • Options
    lach doch mallach doch mal Posts: 16,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steven1977 wrote: »
    Rubbish!

Tom baker, Jon Pertwee & Pat troughton were all better Doctors than david.

Which is just as wrong or correct as the opinions of the writer of that article (it's subjective).

Firstly, everyone is entitled to their opinion (I don't happen to share that bloke's opinion, but he is paid to air it, so what do I know).

Secondly, this is just another topic that is bound to stir things up, and it's a bit of a non-topic. We might just as well have threads asking "I really like Doctor Who, what do you guys think" on here:D.
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Lots of old Who episodes are cheesy. Lots of old Doctors act cheesy, and have had to deliver many cheesy lines. I don't think that's the fault of the actor playing the Doctor. Cheap production, stage-school theatrics and rushed scripts are primarily to blame.
  • Options
    allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheesy??? Not on your nellie!!! - would you like a jelly baby?
  • Options
    meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,110
    Forum Member
    Lots of old Who episodes are cheesy. Lots of old Doctors act cheesy, and have had to deliver many cheesy lines. I don't think that's the fault of the actor playing the Doctor. Cheap production, stage-school theatrics and rushed scripts are primarily to blame.

To be honest I'd prefer that to some of the rushed stories nowadays.
    Maybe the cheesiness of the Doctors came from the fact that the Doctor had more time in a story to show different sides to himself and could actually catch a breather and be a bit silly. lol
  • Options
    steven1977steven1977 Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which is just as wrong or correct as the opinions of the writer of that article (it's subjective).

Firstly, everyone is entitled to their opinion (I don't happen to share that bloke's opinion, but he is paid to air it, so what do I know).

Secondly, this is just another topic that is bound to stir things up, and it's a bit of a non-topic. We might just as well have threads asking "I really like Doctor Who, what do you guys think" on here:D.

Id of said the 10th said cheesy lines. Or it could be a lets slag off the classic era as much as we can because these days we re all about special effects and cgi. Without all that our stories would suck.
  • Options
    lach doch mallach doch mal Posts: 16,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steven1977 wrote: »
    Id of said the 10th said cheesy lines. Or it could be a lets slag off the classic era as much as we can because these days we re all about special effects and cgi. Without all that our stories would suck.

Sorry I don't quite get your message here. What are you trying to convey?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they were weak and cheesy then so am I.

No crackers, Gromit! We've forgotten the crackers! :eek:

Where is the the best cheese as well? :mad:
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    I find it difficult to describe any of the Classic Doctors as cheesy, especially Hartnell. Mayo is entitled to his opinion off course but without those 'cheesy' Doctors, we wouldn't have a New Series to enjoy.....

:)

I couldn't disagree with Mayo more. I find it hard
    to describe Hartnell, Pertwee, Tom or Chris'
    Doctors being "weak" or "cheesy"-they all came across
    as strong characters.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,836
    Forum Member
    No one was as cheesy as tennant.