The Moff did good

allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I thought there might be a thread for this already but anyway... Steven Moffat to get a special recognition bafta

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-18118720

I'm sure everyone will agree it's richly deserved after working bloody hard to two great shows :)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done the Moff.:)
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    This was discussed in the Doctor Who Fans thread when it was announced.

Moffat is interviewed today in The Times. A two page plus photo in the Weekend section.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    This was discussed in the Doctor Who Fans thread when it was announced.

Moffat is interviewed today in The Times. A two page plus photo in the Weekend section.

Damnation! I wish I'd known this before I did my shopping. :mad: Can I get The Times online I wonder?

I couldn't be chuffder about Moff winning this award. Richly deserved indeed. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    I couldn't be chuffder about Moff winning this award. Richly deserved indeed. :)

I concur. Given all the crap he's had to put up with about 'falling' viewing figures and 'complicated' plots, etc, It's great to see him getting some well deserved recognition from his peers.
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    allen_who wrote: »
    I thought there might be a thread for this already but anyway... Steven Moffat to get a special recognition bafta

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-18118720

I'm sure everyone will agree it's richly deserved after working bloody hard to two great shows :)
    Well done to Steven.:D
    Forum Member
    Damnation! I wish I'd known this before I did my shopping. :mad: Can I get The Times online I wonder?

He was pretty much saying how he has turned his back on offers from Spielberg of a Hollywood career as he's now committed to making tv for the benefit of batty lancastrians.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well deserved award for Moffat.

What with this and Rolf Harris getting a Fellowship I'm rather looking forward to the BAFTA awards now....:)
  • IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
    Forum Member
    I'd happily give the guy an award just for his 2007 series 'Jekyll' - that was, to my mind, his masterpiece.

Great to see it on Netflix too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He was pretty much saying how he has turned his back on offers from Spielberg of a Hollywood career as he's now committed to making tv for the benefit of batty lancastrians.

Quite right too! There is no nobler aspiration.

He didn't mention the significance of the tea making scene in the Reichenbach Fall, I suppose?

Maybe he'll mention it in his Bafta acceptance speech.
  • LowriLowri Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't see this posted anywhere else: http://digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/doctor-who/news/a382427/steven-moffat-on-doctor-who-sherlock-and-his-bafta-special-award.html

A nice interview. I see what he's saying about starving Sherlock fans to get a better response but I'd rather he didn't take the same view with DW, I liked it when it had a dependable start date. On the subject of Sherlock, can't believe they aren't even starting filming until next january. That's not just starving us, that's killing us! :eek:

Apologies if the link doesn't work, I'm posting from a mobile so I had to remove the 'm' from the link. It's easily found in the cult news section of DS :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lowri wrote: »
    Can't see this posted anywhere else: http://digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/doctor-who/news/a382427/steven-moffat-on-doctor-who-sherlock-and-his-bafta-special-award.html

A nice interview. I see what he's saying about starving Sherlock fans to get a better response but I'd rather he didn't take the same view with DW, I liked it when it had a dependable start date. On the subject of Sherlock, can't believe they aren't even starting filming until next january. That's not just starving us, that's killing us! :eek:

Apologies if the link doesn't work, I'm posting from a mobile so I had to remove the 'm' from the link. It's easily found in the cult news section of DS :)

Thanks for that, Lowri.

I can see where he's coming from about keeping the series fresh by changing schedules and making 'em wait etc, but I do think you can take that too far.

I try not to think about how long I'll have to wait until the next series of Sherlock. :(
    Forum Member
    Quite right too! There is no nobler aspiration.

He didn't mention the significance of the tea making scene in the Reichenbach Fall, I suppose?

Maybe he'll mention it in his Bafta acceptance speech.

Tea making? No my dear. No mention of tea making. Remote controlled replicant robot with lifelike squidgy innards I think you'll find.

Actually he did say he and Gatiss are surprised nobody has worked it out yet. But he didn't say they are both avid lurkers of your Sherlock thread. And he does lie. So maybe his avoidance of tea references was because he knows you're getting warm.

If episode one of DW series seven starts with the brutal extermination of a northern Granny you'll know he's rattled.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iggyman wrote: »
    I'd happily give the guy an award just for his 2007 series 'Jekyll' - that was, to my mind, his masterpiece.

Great to see it on Netflix too.

I loved that series. Caught it on Netflix a few months back and had absolutely no memory of it ever being on TV.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tea making? No my dear. No mention of tea making. Remote controlled replicant robot with lifelike squidgy innards I think you'll find.

Actually he did say he and Gatiss are surprised nobody has worked it out yet. But he didn't say they are both avid lurkers of your Sherlock thread. And he does lie. So maybe his avoidance of tea references was because he knows you're getting warm.

If episode one of DW series seven starts with the brutal extermination of a northern Granny you'll know he's rattled.

Nobody has worked it out yet? Nobody? So every theory on the Sherlock thread is wrong (even HandsomeBB's masterpiece of analysis)?

I'll have to get my thinking cap on again. Though, as you say, he might be fibbing. ;)
    Forum Member
    Nobody has worked it out yet? Nobody? So every theory on the Sherlock thread is wrong (even HandsomeBB's masterpiece of analysis)?

I'll have to get my thinking cap on again. Though, as you say, he might be fibbing. ;)

It is unlikely Gatiss and Moffat spend much of their time tracking every online guess. Or maybe they do and THAT is what Danny Cohen was talking about. ;)

However that is what Moffat said. Maybe he employs forum lurkers on his behalf. Or maybe he's bluffing. We'll have to see whether it is a northern Arwen lookalike or a Handsome BB (whatever that is) who gets brutally exterminated in episode one to see who has rattled him most.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Moffat did say, "Blimey! A Special award ! I didn't even know I was ill."

I'm waiting for the lines "Brainy's the new sexy", "Handsome's the new brainy." :D

I'm at the ready to analyse his acceptance speech. I'll have to have a look at that Times interview too.
    He does hide things in DWM production notes, so it is possible he's worked something into it.
  • outsideoutside Posts: 5,610
    Forum Member
    HandsomeBB wrote: »
    I'm at the ready to analyse his acceptance speech. I'll have to have a look at that Times interview too.
    He does hide things in DWM production notes, so it is possible he's worked something into it.

He could say "Hello" and you'd still manage to extract three character names, a story title and a recurring motif from it. :D
  • IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
    Forum Member
    Murky Past wrote: »
    I loved that series. Caught it on Netflix a few months back and had absolutely no memory of it ever being on TV.

Jekyll was originally broadcast on Saturday evenings at 9pm in June and July of 2007 ......... typical lousy BBC scheduling. Then there was a two week break after episode 3 due to the Live Earth concert.

And the BBC then say that the viewer numbers weren't high enough to warrant a second series ....... I wonder why! :rolleyes:

BTW, it's worth buying on DVD too - there are two good commentary tracks with Moffat contributing to one of them. Some of the episodes on DVD are a few minutes longer than the original BBC broadcasts as well:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jekyll_%28TV_series%29#Home_release
    Forum Member
    outside wrote: »
    He could say "Hello" and you'd still manage to extract three character names, a story title and a recurring motif from it. :D

I rifle through his bin for old shopping lists. Full of clues. Next year's big bad is OatsoSimple from the planet Branston. The Doctor's gong to be in a right pickle.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    outside wrote: »

Don't have to be a BACP accredited counsellor trained in psychoanalysis to extract something from your post.
  • summer_stesummer_ste Posts: 5,524
    Forum Member
    Good for him for getting this reward, not only for DW and Sherlock, but all his TV writing over the years. Been a fan of his writing since Press Gang, which still stands the test of time today.
  • allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    summer_ste wrote: »
    Good for him for getting this reward, not only for DW and Sherlock, but all his TV writing over the years. Been a fan of his writing since Press Gang, which still stands the test of time today.

Yeah, we should be more proud of our british talent and stop doing them down (as the minority on here revel in doing, it would seem)... His work on the comedy show Coupling was great too

I rewatched 'The Time of Angels' today.. what an opening couple of scenes.. very very good
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HandsomeBB wrote: »
    Moffat did say, "Blimey! A Special award ! I didn't even know I was ill."

I'm waiting for the lines "Brainy's the new sexy", "Handsome's the new brainy." :D

I too will be scrutinising his acceptance speech for any little clues.

(It would be great if he did read the DS thread and mentioned Handsome, Granny and tea :). Then I'd know I was wrong.)

allen_who wrote: »
    Yeah, we should be more proud of our british talent and stop doing them down (as the minority on here revel in doing, it would seem)... His work on the comedy show Coupling was great too

I rewatched 'The Time of Angels' today.. what an opening couple of scenes.. very very good

The pre-opening-credit scenes in The Time of Angels is one of the best bits of television I've ever seen. :D
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lovely to see Moffat getting his award from Matt Smith and Benedict Cumberbatch...:)

Nice speech as well, I thought.

It was great seeing those clips from Press Gang! That took me back...:D
  • ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    I think after all the comments about his 'arrogance' of late on this forum, it was nice to see him quite nervous and humble when he accepted the award.