Comments

• apriljaprilj Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    It'll be capitals of African countries next. :p

Or songs beginning with Z by artists beginning in X! :p
  • MuSiKeMuSiKe Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All of my song choices (apart from maybe one) are shit compared to the standard so far tonight. :o
  • unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jake Quickenden: I love Alex Clare, not that that fact has any relevance to this performance. I really liked that, the one thing that stopped me from choosing you was that I felt like you are hard to make interesting, you have a pretty generic tone and I think your performances tend to be a little bit samey but with this song, Jess has made a very clever decision, I think that it was one of the best performances so far, not only was your tone really exciting and edgy on the track but it was by far the most interesting song that has been picked so far by one of my rival judges, I thought that you absolutely tore the stage apart, it was not only a great vocal performance but it was a really good crowd entertainer, the song didn't just reach a point and stay there, it kept going and going and I loved it, you really delivered.
  • EndOfSanityEndOfSanity Posts: 15,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It'll be capitals of African countries next. :p

How'd you guess that? :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aprilj wrote: »
    Or songs beginning with Z by artists beginning in X! :p

Or German Artists who were born in France :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Judges, don't tempt me... :p

Anyway, good comments for Jake Quickenden tonight, will Kev eventually regret not picking him or will tonight's result prove that he way right?

We immediately move over to the second of the wildcard acts, which is the group that was stolen by girls mentor Toni. Singing Some Hearts by Carrie Underwood, it's Lakoda Rayne!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-SqFmhBUp4
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lakoda Rayne: Country girls through and through you four are, I'm not surprised by this song choice and I think it was a good decision of your mentor to give you a taste of country that is still commercial so won't alienate those who aren't massive fans of the country genre. That said, I think at the same time your mentor fell into the trap of picking probably the biggest figure in country music of the last decade, because admittedly, we're going to make comparisons back to Carrie when you sing one of her songs, I felt that although you're great performers, you're not as strong vocally as Carrie so it was a little bit disappointing. That said, I thought it still measured up considerably well to the original and I'm not going to penalise your mentor too heavily for sticking to your strengths, that said, I think in the next few weeks, you really will need to try and do something different, not neccessarily go for a massive genre overhaul but I'd like to see lesser known country artists, maybe even crossing into folk rather than performing Shania Twain or Sheryl Crowe's back catalogues. Good job ladies!
    Forum Member
    Lakoda Rayne

A good choice of song for you girls. Carrie Underwood is the perfect style of song for you, and I think you really pulled off a great performance. The only slight negative I have for you is that it felt very predictable, but in the first week I think you can afford to be predictable. I just want you now to really be defined and scream "THIS IS US" next time to set you apart from the competition. I want you to come back here next week (if you get through) and SHOCK ME! It's all too nice, safe and predictable this week. But regardless, it was a pretty vocal performance.
  • I've Got ClassI've Got Class Posts: 12,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LAKODA RAYNE:- I’d have liked some sort of arrangement for this, as asides from the chorus it’s hard to picture this being a group performance. However, I liked this quite a lot and given how easy it would be to give you a bogstandard country song, your mentor actually chose Carrie Underwood who is clearly the best in the industry. (Although she is a bit predictable, but as it’s Carrie it can be forgiven. Xo)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lakoda Rayne
    You know girls, I'm a pop fan, not a country fan! I chose you as my wildcard so I could push myself as a mentor by dipping into a genre I know practically nothing about. It was a hard theme, so eventually I had to go for a slightly obvious song choice. I think that you did a great job considering, so well done! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good comments for Lakoda Rayne overall, that one certainly had the audience going though!

While we're at it, let's do another wildcard act. Kev picked an over as his wildcard, so let's see what he has given her to sing tonight. Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome Beverley Savarin to the stage where she'll be singing Your Eyes by Amel Larrieux!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5slRbrwho0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BEVERLEY SAVARIN:- YES. YES. YES. This was amazing, you are an artist who is so versatile - even themes like body parts can't throw you off of the scent! If this is week one, what will be your performance in the final like? Yes, THE FINAL. You will get there, it's the only thing I am certain about. :eek:
    Forum Member
    Beverley Savarin

I'm over the moon that Kev picked you for his steal choice. I agree with him (what he said last week) that you have so much untapped potential. I think you only partly showed it tonight as well. It was a stunning vocal performance and it really showed up a few others near the start of the show. The song was a perfect choice, if a little too weird. Good job and I definitely hope to see you back next week because you are a dark horse and one to watch! Vote Beverley everyone!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beverley Savarin: There was a lot more pressure with you Beverley because of course you're not as well known to viewers as most of the other contestants, having only been shown for about ten seconds on screen, when you delivered an incredible audition. With that said, I think you are probably one of the strongest vocalists in the competition, we certainly saw that when you smashed the dolphin note in 'Lovin You'. However, I don't want you to be associated with that one big note, I want to show that you're more than a one-trick pony and can deliver more refined performances as well as the big vocal power ballads. Of course, I will be showing more than one side to your voice in the coming weeks so we're sure to give you one to show your amazing vocals but I thought that this was an incredibly sweet, mellow performance that still allowed to show off your soul and allowed you to show that you have a strong upper range also. Beverley, if you're not here next week, it'll be a massive miscarriage of justice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beverley Savarin
    Beverley, I'll be honest with you and say I ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT! I'm so glad that Kevin chose you as his wildcard because you have an absolutely amazing voice and you've got great potential! It was a fantastic song choice, and I'm glad it wasn't a predictable song, it was a risk that paid off tonight!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And again, amazing comments for one of Kevin's acts. If the public agree with the judges tonight, he is practically safe already. There's just one thing though, who says the public will actually agree with what the judges say?

It's time for a group again. April said she would try something different with them, considering they have been used a million times already in these games. What did she do though? See for yourself while Little Mix sing a cover of Eyes Like Sky by Frank Ocean!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUavt4bFQas
    Note: In this arrangement, Perrie and Jade take alternate lines in the first verse, Leigh-Anne does pre-chorus and Jesy takes the rap verse. Imagine they will be harmonising during the chorus and background adlibs from Perrie during the rap section.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Little Mix: When I saw this song, I was very intrigued as I love the original and I was interested to see how an urban pop girlband would manage to perform it, however I was massively taken aback when I heard male vocals, yes it's nice to think outside of the box rather than give you the predictable Beyoncé, Jordin Sparks songs to sing but at the same time, this was more like you'd replaced the box with a duck. If you can't find female vocals for a song, unless you can find a cover that will permit everyone to feasibly imagine the girls singing it, I would leave it and try a different song, if you had went for something like 'Swim Deep', it could have been an amazing opening performance but I thought that your mentor took too much of a risk with this performance and it most definitely did not appear to have been executed as I would have liked. I'm disappointed girls, there was so much potential for this to be amazing but it didn't impress me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LITTLE MIX:- Maybe ''Little Dix'' would be more appropriate as the singer in this cover was male and you are not. April thought outside the box for this performance, but the box she thought outside had been swamped with water and collapsed inwards. ''I'm waiting for the best, but I'm looking at the worst'' is a lyric within the song - and funnily enough that is my reaction to this.
    Forum Member
    Little Mix

This was such a big risk and girls, you did it! First and foremost, a mesmerising performance to start your Twist Factor career! I was excited to mentor you because, despite the many times I've mentored, I've never had Little Mix in my team. I'm conscious not to take you down the same old route and wanted to do something different, and I hope that came across to viewers and my colleagues tonight! Jesy, you did a fabulous job on the rap and the rest of you were all on-point in your vocal solos. You blended well together and I hope vote for you because we're going to have loads of fun together!

(P.S. sorry to ask everyone to use their imaginations. There was no female cover when I picked my songs.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Little Mix
    I am a huge Frank Ocean fan, so I was a little worried when I saw you were going to be singing one of his songs. I'm not a fan of this cover, and I couldn't imagine you singing it all! It didn't fit any of your voices very well. Was it predictable? No. Was it a risk? Yes. Did the risk pay off? I don't think it did, I'm afraid. If you're still here next week, your mentor needs to find a song that actually fits your voices instead of finding a song that just fits the theme.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not-so-good comments for Little Mix. I know that they are usually pretty popular in these games, but is that enough to spare them from the bottom 4 tonight?

It's time for one of Toni's girls again, please welcome Rebecca Ferguson singing Look Into Your Heart by Aretha Franklin.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf824LGlnKY
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rebecca Ferguson
    Well, well, well, weren't you fantastic tonight Rebecca! I gave you that song because vocally you remind me of a young Aretha, you hit all of the notes and even you're little ad libs were just like Aretha's! I know the other judges may think it was a little bit of a predictable choice, but personally I think we did the best we could given the them! I though it suited your voice perfectly, and after that performance I think you should be proud. A beautiful song covered beautifully by a beautiful girl!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rebecca Ferguson: Here is the issue Rebecca, normally, this song would be perfect for you, I mean Aretha is an amazing artist, this is a brilliant song, Rebecca would most definitely be capable of pulling off a strong performance with the song but, it's so very predictable and so dated that I wasn't at all blown away by it. Rebecca, you're an amazing artist but this was nothing that we haven't seen 100 times over, many people have mentored you very similarly over the years and there's only so many times you can hear a similar type of performance before you get bored. I would have much preferred to have heard you singing something modern with bluesy vocals, there are so many types of artists who I can see suiting you, from Gabriella Cilmi to Corinne Bailey Rae and that's the direction I would like to hear you singing, if you're through this week, I hope that your mentor listens to my advice and takes it on board when choosing songs for you in the future. Good luck!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    REBECCA FERGUSON:- Let's start with the negatives - this was dull. Very Dull. It was also predictable. Other words to describe it are - outdated, unfeasible and an attempt to demodernise Rebecca as an artist. Rebecca could pull this off - put she could also pull of a t-shirt covered in vomit. The two are comparable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    REBECCA FERGUSON:- Let's start with the negatives - this was dull. Very Dull. It was also predictable. Other words to describe it are - outdated, unfeasible and an attempt to demodernise Rebecca as an artist. Rebecca could pull this off - put she could also pull of a t-shirt covered in vomit. The two are comparable.

Wow. :o

I think me and Rebecca better grab our vomit covered coats. :o