Options

Gall Bladder Removal... Experiences ?

Comments

• Options
    ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can eat anything after gall bladder removal. Get it done. Its a very serious illness, and can kill. The open chest operation is serious, but lots have the keyhole surgery now, which is much better and easier, though not everyone can have this-I couldnt. I had to have the open chest surgery, my scar is about 8-9 inches long down my middle! I was in pain, but it eased rapidly, and I was out after 3 nights, though off work for nearly a year . You wont look back afterwards, and will be well. If , in the meantime,you get a stone stuck in the bile duct, the pain is the worst the human body can take, it will make you unconcious with shock and the severity.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    Well my op hasn't been confirmed or anything yet, I'm being refered to a surgeon to my GP was saying that a removal will be the best course of action. I found this forum whilst looking into the removal etc.

So the Linda McCartney's? Can I only eat these before or after the operation?

I really love sausages!
  • Options
    ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can eat any sausages. I do, and bacon!
  • Options
    kookiethekatkookiethekat Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can eat anything after gall bladder removal. Get it done. Its a very serious illness, and can kill. The open chest operation is serious, but lots have the keyhole surgery now, which is much better and easier, though not everyone can have this-I couldnt. I had to have the open chest surgery, my scar is about 8-9 inches long down my middle! I was in pain, but it eased rapidly, and I was out after 3 nights, though off work for nearly a year . You wont look back afterwards, and will be well. If , in the meantime,you get a stone stuck in the bile duct, the pain is the worst the human body can take, it will make you unconcious with shock and the severity.

I am sorry but as a woman who has had their gallbladder removed - the above statement in BOLD is total rubbish!!!!

I certainly cannot eat "anything" 3 years after my operation. They tell you about the side effects when you have the operation and one of them is that you may not be able to eat high fat foods.

I cannot have dairy anymore (had no problems before my operation) and I get awful cramps and diarrhea if I have bread and high fat foods like burgers and pizza are a no no.

My dr has recently put me on medication that binds to the bile and stops it irritating my bowel (it's called colestyramine). Even with this medication I still cannot have dairy and if I have bread I have to be near a toilet.

I have been tested for all sorts and it's all come back negative, my problem is a DIRECT result of my operation, I do not have IBS, crohn's disease or coeliac disease.

Don't get me wrong - even if I knew 100% what was going to happen, I would still have had them removed as gallstones are serious and in very rare cases can kill you, just please don't listen to people who say that you can eat what you want, you may be one of the rare cases (like me) who cannot
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am sorry but as a woman who has had their gallbladder removed - the above statement in BOLD is total rubbish!!!!
    As is the part of the post you quoted regarding the open chest method. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Looking at it though further digestion problems seem to be a problem for only a small minority rather than being the norm?

How long on average did people have to wait before having the op?
  • Options
    TagletTaglet Posts: 20,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had mine removed in Jan 09 after waiting about 5 months....I controlled attacks during the wait by eating very low fat foods but still got the occasional attack but not as many as three a day which I got eating normally.

Post op I am pretty much back to normal but do have to take care with high fat foods...which is not really a bad thing. My diet is better than it ever has been and I feel healthier.

Some people suffer more than I do and some dont have any after effects....luck of the draw really.
  • Options
    LillithLillith Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I waited 2 months for the op. Though it would cure my IBS, it didn't. I was VERY sick after the op for a day and night until a helpful night nurse noticed I had been written up for
    an injection to stop me throwing up....it worked. Three years later after having cameras up and down me I am diagnosed with diverticulitis and hiatus hernia.
  • Options
    madasaflakemadasaflake Posts: 845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will I still be able to eat sausages after I've had my gallbladder removed? Really scared!

In my experience it's all trial and error after the op. Some people I know can eat exactly what they did before, others have to stick to totally low fat. For me - I can eat stuff I did before but if I do that too often over a few days I get a day when I can't keep off the loo. Almost like a build up of fats that the body then has to eliminate in a hurry. You'll have to try things and see how you go, but be prepared! :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As is the part of the post you quoted regarding the open chest method. :D

I wouldn't know about that as I have keyhole thankfully. I just know the bit in bold is :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking at it though further digestion problems seem to be a problem for only a small minority rather than being the norm?

How long on average did people have to wait before having the op?

I waited about 3 months but it took them 6 months to diagnose what was wrong with me :mad:

It was a paramedic in the end, on the way to the hospital after yet ANOTHER attack, turned round and said to me "sounds like you've got gallstones love" - after 6 months of A&E and dr's telling me it was a pulled muscle
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yep, a low fat diet will be no bad thing for me, I'm not too upset about having to have it done, it seems like most people have been fine after and if it stops the pain then its all good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Do they let you keep the Gallbladder?

I quite like the idea of inviting friends to see my insidey parts
  • Options
    CMKCMK Posts: 545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just as madasaflake said if you overdo it for a few days, this can have some consequences! With me, it's not the rushing to a loo, rather I get a severe pain where my gallbladder used to be. It happened to me over Christmas, after a few days of overindulgence. Now I tend to stick to a fairly low fat diet but I can still eat anything fatty (in moderation).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do they let you keep the Gallbladder?

I quite like the idea of inviting friends to see my insidey parts

Eww lol

No I don't think they do, but they removed the stones from mine and gave them to me. They were like little bits of yellow gravel
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My stones (all 20 of them!) are the shape and size of pistachio nuts. And eww indeed to the idea of getting your gallbladder in a jar.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    I seem to have had the opposite results to most here.

I had my gall bladder out about 4 years ago by key hole surgery. About 4 hours later, I was walking around with no problems and no pain. The following day I went home. No pain killers needed. I felt so fit that I stopped at the local hardware shop and bought myself a bandsaw.

The only downside I have found - food with high fat content or greasy food goes straight through. (helps to keep the weight down :) )

If your time in hospital is anything like mine, you wil have no problems, and it will be over before you realise it has started
  • Options
    mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had mine out about 4 years ago and i had suffered with gallstones from my late thirties i think it was, so in all it was probably about 20 years before i needed to have my gall bladder removed, when the painfull episodes reached a climax after i had eaten 2 celebration chocolates, (don't kn ow whats in those buggers but i will never eat another one as long as i live)...and then went on to have a meat pie in the canteen at work that night!, i had hardly digested it before it came up again and i managed to get myself home but was up being sick every hour for the next 48hrs, i was in a delirious state and when i finally stopped being sick and got myself to the doctors i found i had developed jaundice.. so they wouldn't take the gall bladder out at that stage because they like the infection to calm down, anyway what they did was take me into hospital about a week later and i had a stent put in to drain the small stones away, the buggers then took me back in about a month later to remove the stent as it had done it's job by then and i must
    say i felt great, but of course i still had to have my gall bladder removed, well they left it a couple of months i think it was before calling me back for the operation but to be honest i was so traumatised by the stent procedure that i kept making excuses as to why it wasn't convenient for me to go in and have it done, so i think it was probably about a year before i managed to get control of myself to actually go in and have it done, and do you know what!, it was absolutely a doddle, i couldn't believe how painfree and easy it was, i luckily, did only have the keyhole surgery and i was out the next day, i had no trouble having the tube taken out, they gave me pains killers for a few days and i went and stayed at my sisters for the first couple of days but i was up and pain free straight away, and i have never had any trouble with eating anything!, in fact i wish i did at times because for the 4 or 5 years i had before the op when it was all building up i had restricted my diet so much because i didn't want to eat anything that could bring on the pain and subsequently i had lost so much weight that it was great, and now of course because i can eat anything the weight is all going back on again,

But i had certainly built a mountain out of a molehill regarding the operation and it was absolutely fine.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With me my experience was more or less like mklass eg jaundice, acute pancreatitis, the stent. However once I went in for surgery that changed. They tried to do it by keyhole but apparently my gallbladder was in such a bad way and partly sticking onto my liver, so they had no choice but to cut me up the old-fashioned way! I was in agony when I came round after the op, and was in hospital for five days. I had 20 stitches, and I as I said in a previous post 20 stones the size and shape of pistachio nuts were removed. I was off work for a month, and it still hurt, but it was nothing compared to the pain I had before the operation. I have not regretted having it done.
  • Options
    JinnyJinxedJinnyJinxed Posts: 878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had my Gallstones and Gallbladder removed on 22nd June 2010, via a new technique of single incision scarless laprascopic surgery using micro instruments. I was sooooooo scared of the future. I had a lot of issues with allergies and IBS, and had done a lot of research - which honestly scared me senseless. I failed to remember that the thousands who are well and doing great are not usually the ones to shout out - because they are getting on with life, while the sufferers are making noise in order to find a solution.

I was very careful about re-introducing foods into my diet afterwards. I figured that I needed to give my body time to re-learn how to deal with food, as an important part of the digestive system was being changed. Anything with a slightly higher fat content, I had a little bit, and waited a while, then all being well, had a bit more later or the next day. Kinda like tolerance training when you are re-introducing food products, if you have a very sensitive gut.

The first week I was nervous about eating anything with tomatoes in it, as I had a massive IBS attack off tomatoes, a few days after surgery. I still am now, even though most days I am fine with them. I was shocked - but in hindsight, Tomatoes are acid and I had been pre-warned to be careful with anything with acid in it in the first 6 weeks in particular.

I do find that if I eat anything with a slightly higher fat content, I get acid reflux issues, particular at night - but it's nothing a glass of skimmed milk doesn't sort out. I also get boughts of nausea if I don't eat for a while. In the beginning this used to end if vomiting if I ignored it, but I discovered Hovis Digestives. These gave me an energy kick with the sugar, and fibre which helps with my digestion. I have 2 or 3 of them when the nausea kicks in, and then within 10 minutes, I am completely fine again. I have upped the fibre in my diet greatly - porridge in the morning really makes a difference, and if I am having anything with higher fats, I do take Slippery Elm tablets, because they are high in fibre, and are used to prevent diarrhea, and improves gut mobility. My mother who also had the operation is more sensitive, and when out or wanting to eat anything higher fat, she will take an Immodium tablet before the meal, and if she reacts and feels the need, has another. But she has recently started on Slippery Elm tablets too, and is impressed so far.

The weird thing I have found is that I actually really dislike anything with fats in it. I hadn't eaten much fat for the best part of 3 years prior to the operation, but even things I liked before the operation, I now dislike. It just tastes horrid and feels a horrid texture in my mouth. Which actually is kinda cool because I hate the stuff that is bad for me now! YAY!

As mentioned before, it is trial and error after the surgery. I personally am so glad I had the operation done. I never actually realised just how ill I had been. I do still have phantom gallstone attacks, which can happen, but they last a couple hours, not days, so that's manageable for me. And I have been warned that I can still re-develop gallstones in the Liver, so I should stick to a low fat diet...but apart from that, it is just a matter of careful experimenting. Everyone is different.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Anyone had it done in Leeds? I've been given my choice of hospitals in West Yorks and wouldn't mind knowing peoples experiences
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    Anyone had it done in Leeds? I've been given my choice of hospitals in West Yorks and wouldn't mind knowing peoples experiences

Had mine out in Feb at Jimmy's (St. James, Leeds). Luckily was in the new Bexley Wing as my gastro' consultant is based there (he did my Oesophageal cancer too), otherwise would have been in the older Lincoln wing (looking it's age now). Into theatre at midday, came to in recovery around 3ish, on ward by 4.30, out at 8.30 next morning. 3 small nicks and a 1/2 inch scar - all glued, no stitches.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    LCDMAN wrote: »
    Had mine out in Feb at Jimmy's (St. James, Leeds). Luckily was in the new Bexley Wing as my gastro' consultant is based there (he did my Oesophageal cancer too), otherwise would have been in the older Lincoln wing (looking it's age now). Into theatre at midday, came to in recovery around 3ish, on ward by 4.30, out at 8.30 next morning. 3 small nicks and a 1/2 inch scar - all glued, no stitches.

Thanks for the reply, I was thinking Jimmy's might be the best bet as it's just down the road from work so easier for any checkups etc plus parking at the LGI is just a nightmare
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    I had mine removed via keyhole surgery last December and I don't regret it for one minute. Despite cutting fat out of my diet as much as possible, I still suffered attacks that got so bad I had to have a painkilling injection from my GP a couple of weeks before I had the op. I was frequently vomiting with the attacks. Last year was an absolute nightmare because of this.

The surgery went well, except I was a bit of a bleeder apparently. I had quite a lot of pain as the painkillers wore off due to this, but it was more uncomfortable than painful after a few days tbh. The next week I ended up back at the docs due to excruciating pain where my gall bladder had been, but it went away thankfully, and they just put it down to residue or small leftover stones passing through my system.

Since the surgery the only problems I've had are with frequent bouts of diarrhea and my scars becoming keloid which doesn't look very attractive but is very uncommon. I've not suffered with indigestion thankfully, can't stand the thought of having to take Gaviscon after using it so much when I had gallstones, eugh. Despite being very nervous about surgery, I had no choice but to do it, I couldn't have gone on living like that for much longer.
  • Options
    himerushimerus Posts: 3,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well my op hasn't been confirmed or anything yet, I'm being refered to a surgeon to my GP was saying that a removal will be the best course of action. I found this forum whilst looking into the removal etc.

So the Linda McCartney's? Can I only eat these before or after the operation?

I really love sausages!

After the removal of my gall bladder the surgeon told me I would never be able to eat a full English breakfast again. I have been proving him wrong for about twelve years.