Getting a council flat

Free as a birdFree as a bird Posts: 1,040
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Have been invited to view a flat this week, and have been told I'm no 2?

I know they invite 2 others to view the flat at the same time, and I was wondering if there is a way how I could get to be no 1 ;)

I don't know how these things work, but I presume that if no 1doesn't turn up then I will become no 1, and if I like the place then I can sign the tenancy there and then.

Anyone have experience of this?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    that means if No1 turns it down it will be offered to you next
  • Free as a birdFree as a bird Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sam-blonde wrote: »
    that means if No1 turns it down it will be offered to you next

I hope they don't turn up then, or turn it down :D
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    This means your really high up, if you don't get this one you'll get one very soon, don't know if you go down the list again if you refuse.
  • DEADLY_17DEADLY_17 Posts: 9,262
    Forum Member
    yeah basically you have to PREY no.1 dont turn up :p or Hope they hate the place, i hate how it works though. i went to one with my aunt who was 2nd the guy who was 1st was 45 mins late and my aunt was told on phone she cant be late, he turned up though and didnt like it so she got the house :)

But it also means Next time You will be no.1 i think.

Hope you get it :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dosanjh1 wrote: »
    This means your really high up, if you don't get this one you'll get one very soon, don't know if you go down the list again if you refuse.

There is no way I will refuse it lol, hope to be in my new place by christmas ha ha
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if its on the bidding system and its suitable for your needs and you turn it down you usually lose some bidding points so in effect you are lower down if you try to bid again on something else. I know in some london boroughs if you turn down a suitable property you are barred from bidding for several months.

it doesnt automatically mean you will be no.1 for the next one if you are not offered this one. It depends on the needs level of the viewers and their points
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DEADLY_17 wrote: »
    yeah basically you have to PREY no.1 dont turn up :p or Hope they hate the place, i hate how it works though. i went to one with my aunt who was 2nd the guy who was 1st was 45 mins late and my aunt was told on phone she cant be late, he turned up though and didnt like it so she got the house :)

But it also means Next time You will be no.1 i think.

Hope you get it :)

Wow, that was lucky for your aunt.

I actually didn't think that I would even be contacted as soon as I have, so it was a nice suprise.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are no. 2 on the shortlist for that property, if no. 1 doesn't want it/doesn't turn up then its yours for the taking. If it comes to that when viewing i always used to advise that ppl saw it as their home and how they would change it to live in it rather than how it looked at that particular time. They can look pretty appalling but you have to remember that its just a shell and once your name is on the tenancy you can start decorating it and making it your own. So many were turned down due to the state of decorations/cleanliness which honestly, even if it takes time, can be resolved. This doesn't just happen in rented accommodation, our house was absolutely filthy when we moved in and had horrible wallpaper in every room, it took time but we got there eventually.

Your local housing provider can advise you on their policy if you turn the offer down, alternatively there should be something about it on your bidding website.

Good luck, i hope you get the chance to see it and accept it :) If its "fit for let" they'll want to make the tenancy start date within a few days so you should indeed be able to move in before Christmas, if its still occupied or requires repairs work then you may be in for a bit of a wait but its still a lovely Christmas pressie!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was number three for the last flat I had. The first two didn't respond to the offers so I couldn't believe it, I got it! I wish you good luck.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got my fingers crossed for you. I hope that #1 turn it down and it's just what you are looking for.
  • xdaorbitxdaorbit Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    the very best of luck i know what its like to be waiting to be housed i was living in temporary accomodation earlier this year it was a scruffy dump i hated the bidding system but thank god i got offerd a great place and me and my family are settled i really hope you get this flat and if not i hope you get something really soon
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been in the exact same situation and It's absolutely horrible when you go and the other person arrives.

What made it worse was the flat I was applying for was brand new. Fully fitted kitchen and bathroom and the living room was already pre-wired for sky plus ffs :)

What really put the cherry on the cake was the fact that this guy who'd applied for the flat stood there and said to the council woman that he was flying out to america the following week and that he'd be there for at least a year.

He'd turned up with what I assumed was his wife and daughter as well, and when the council woman made me & my mum go outside while they talked. Obviously he decided to take the flat, and I just wanted to leave but in hingsight I kind of wish I'd said something about the situation because it just didn't sit right with me.

I think now that it may have been some convoluted way of the husband and wife getting their daughter her own place.

But hey, onwards and upwards and all that. Good luck to the OP and I hope you don't have to go through what I did.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was at spot two for a council flat last year in April but the first viewer decided to take it. I then was offered a housing association place in November with first dibs and here I am now. Yeah, it's a few more months but I got rehoused very quickly, 10 months in total.

Here in Brighton, at least, it pretty much depends on what band you're on. If you're band A then there's a duty to rehouse you much faster than a band B. I was incredibly fortunate that I was a band B and was found a new home so quickly. I had seen that others had been waiting for much longer than I had. Whether this was because they'd turned down other properties, I have no idea.

On a band A you are not allowed to turn down a property unless you want to be taken down to a band B or C - it's meant to be an emergency, not a time to pick and choose.
  • Achtung!Achtung! Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Without wanting to sound patronising, the sound of this acquisition system makes me grateful to not require social housing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Achtung! wrote: »
    Without wanting to sound patronising, the sound of this acquisition system makes me grateful to not require social housing.

You're right to feel that because it literally is nothing more than a meat market, especially if you're in the lowest, general needs banding.

I'm in that banding, but i'm lucky in that i'm near the top as i've been on it for about 5 and a half years, but even then, my local council seems to be dishing out Gold and Silver ratings like smarties and if someone in that banding decides to apply for the place i'm applying for, i've got no chance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're right to feel that because it literally is nothing more than a meat market, especially if you're in the lowest, general needs banding.

I'm in that banding, but i'm lucky in that i'm near the top as i've been on it for about 5 and a half years, but even then, my local council seems to be dishing out Gold and Silver ratings like smarties and if someone in that banding decides to apply for the place i'm applying for, i've got no chance.

I think it is pretty bad that you are taken to view the property with somebody else on the list. With a private purchase it is bad enough having to view with other prospective buyers, with a council property, when you are presumably not in any position to make pro-active negotiations to favour yourself, it must be absolutely soul destroying.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it is pretty bad that you are taken to view the property with somebody else on the list. With a private purchase it is bad enough having to view with other prospective buyers, with a council property, when you are presumably not in any position to make pro-active negotiations to favour yourself, it must be absolutely soul destroying.
    It is, but there's not really any other way to do it, as it's often a housing officer doing the viewing & he/she can't be there all day or going back & forth for what's essentially only a few minutes with each person.

One of my friends had to do a viewing with three other couples - they'd all been given the same time, as some people don't turn up & don't let the allocations/housing team know they won't be going. I went along with her to give an unbiased opinion of the house, & we were all standing outside the property at the same time waiting to go in, trying to either ignore each other or sound out who had higher points on the list. Once inside, we were all shuffling about the place, trying to get some private space where we could talk to each other without the others hearing.

It very quickly became obvious who was highest on the list, & the others had to first try to contain their feelings about the place in case the first person didn't want it & they got a chance, & then try to hold in their disappointment when the people in front of them decided they wanted it. The first person must have known they were going to take it, because they came equipped with a tape measure, pen & paper to make notes etc. Once they'd made their decision, the others had to leave immediately so that the sign-up could be done. The experience must be bad enough if you just want to move, but it must feel even worse if you're desperate for somewhere to live & have to watch a chance slip away from you. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The experience must be bad enough if you just want to move, but it must feel even worse if you're desperate for somewhere to live & have to watch a chance slip away from you. :(

That's what I mean. If you are in a position to negotiate, either financially or via your status as part of a vending chain, then you are at least in charge of your own destiny to a degree, you can at least try. To be at the whim of such a system, well I'm saddened to hear how it works...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    when you are presumably not in any position to make pro-active negotiations to favour yourself, it must be absolutely soul destroying.

it really did upset me because I knew as soon as I walked through the door I had no chance.

I wanted to leave, but my mum actually did manage to persuade me to stay just in case the other guy turned it down.

But, what makes it worse is that i know that if i'm in that situation again, I can't really refuse to go because you'd be handing the property over to the other person on a plate.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm getting so nervous now.

Just been looking at the flat and it looks so nice.

Do you think the council would carry out a credit check?

I know all councils are different but starting to worry as my credit rating is awful.
  • bossoftheworldbossoftheworld Posts: 4,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you get more points if you bid for more properties?

It sounds like really hard work. To the OP hope you get it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you think the council would carry out a credit check?

No council will carry out a credit check on you, although i'll stand to be corrected if some actually do but in all the years i've been in the council system i've never heard of it happening.

You'll only be credit checked on a private let through an estate agents.

What i'd consider doing is taking someone along with you and just happen to randomly be discussing what a terrible neighbourhood it is - say you've read about the local crime rate in the paper, and if the person in front of you asks about it tell them, innocently of course, that you've heard it's not a very nice place to live.

Worth a punt :D

But then you might be lucky and the person in front of you might just turn it down anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What i'd consider doing is taking someone along with you and just happen to randomly be discussing what a terrible neighbourhood it is - say you've read about the local crime rate in the paper, and if the person in front of you asks about it tell them, innocently of course, that you've heard it's not a very nice place to live.

Think I will have to have that conversation with myself ;) maybe if I do, they might think I'm mad, and decide to just leave it ha ha
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The council won't do a credit check on you however they should have access to money advice services which if you have financial difficulties may be of use to you :)
  • mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good luck Op, don't forget to come back and let us know how it goes!.......:)