Options

The Smurfs

smile371smile371 Posts: 10,202
Forum Member
✭✭
Surprised there wasn't a thread for this already? Anyone seen it yet and what do you think it?

Went to see it today, and have to say i really quite enjoyed it! The first 20 minutes are poor, and quite shoddy storywise, but it really picks up and is very entertaining. It's quite a chiched story but still enjoyable enough with enough laughs along the way.

Comments

• Options
    YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    My gf stated her interest in this earlier today ....

Glad to hear its not dreadful !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    I saw it yesterday and speak very differently to the critics, I absolutely loved it. The story is very "seen-it-all-before" and they definitely could've picked somewhere other than New York, but it's great fun from start to finish. I actually really liked the first 20 minutes, I've been a Smurfs fan my whole life and the opening scenes made me feel really nostalgic. The voice performances are all good, I was worried about Katy Perry as Smurfette at first but I thought she was very sweet, and Neil Patrick Harris and Jayma Mays work well alongside the Smurfs and each other. Hank Azaria steals the show, he does a great job as Gargamel. Definitely buying this on Blu-ray.
  • Options
    not_the_doctornot_the_doctor Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've loved the Smurfs since I was a kid, and I thought the Smurfville part at the beginning was good fun, but the rest... a bit bleh. The comedy was just a bit too childish to actually be funny. It also didn't help that I can't stand Neil Patrick Harris' poor-man's-Matthew-Perry-impersonation.

Overall, a very safe by-the-numbers movie for 8 year olds and under.
  • Options
    smile371smile371 Posts: 10,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've loved the Smurfs since I was a kid, and I thought the Smurfville part at the beginning was good fun, but the rest... a bit bleh. The comedy was just a bit too childish to actually be funny. It also didn't help that I can't stand Neil Patrick Harris' poor-man's-Matthew-Perry-impersonation.

Overall, a very safe by-the-numbers movie for 8 year olds and under.

Oi, i'm 19! :p

See i love both Neil and Jemma so that helped, but i was definitely pleasently surprised after hearing the critics maul it!

And i disagree about Gargamel stealing the show, his cat was definitely the star for me!:D
  • Options
    not_the_doctornot_the_doctor Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smile371 wrote: »
    I'll go up to 10, but that's it. :)
    See i love both Neil and Jemma so that helped, but i was definitely pleasently surprised after hearing the critics maul it!
    Well, it certainly could have been much worse. There was just nothing that really stood out as being very funny or interesting to me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    smile371 wrote: »

And i disagree about Gargamel stealing the show, his cat was definitely the star for me!:D

I'm 22! :D And now that you mention it, I take back my words about Gargamel. Azrael definitely stole the show, just like he stole just about every scene that Gargamel was in in the cartoon.
  • Options
    2Legit2Quit2Legit2Quit Posts: 4,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw it yesterday with my 5 year old daughter, I'm 36 and really enjoyed it. :o

After reading some of the reviews I thought it was going to be a bit boring but it was enjoyable from start to finish. :)
  • Options
    PandakooPandakoo Posts: 5,441
    Forum Member
    I'm 19 and saw this with my little brother yesterday, we both LOVED it! Can't wait for it to come out on dvd. I really enjoyed it, it's such a cute film and really made me laugh.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    So we have a couple of 19 year olds. A 22, 29 and a 36 year old. I'm now in the lead because I'm 46 (47 in a few weeks) and I loved it!

The guy that played Gargamel was superb!

One funny thing I did notice was how much adults were laughing out loud at the film. I've neeb to see quite a few comedy films recently and they have died on their arses. If they are lucky they get an occasional snigger or giggle. Bridesmaids and Paul both failed abysmally, but this film had adults laughing.

Just one question. Can I marry Jayma Mays please? :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    Yuffie wrote: »
    My gf stated her interest in this earlier today ....

Glad to hear its not dreadful !

If you go in with an open mind you'll enjoy it. It's not a film with a huge message. It's not trying to be the greatest film ever made. it's just a film made to pass the time and be a bit of stupid fun and IMO it works.
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Took my daughter to this yesterday (she's 7) and it was a lot better than I was expecting. It may not be a Kung Fu Panda or a How to Train Your Dragon, but it's better than Furry Vengeance and way above Yogi Bear.

She absolutely loved it, it made her laugh out loud on many occassions and most of the kids there were laughing too (as were a fair few of the adults, myself included). She instantly wanted to see it again and the DVD will most certainly be on her wanted list.

In fact when the film finished a small section of the audience burst into applause...but they may always do that for all I know :D

And she would certainly pick Azrael over Gargamel as her favourite. :p
  • Options
    Julie68Julie68 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to take my kids to see it next week.
    I remember when the Smurfs were popular with Father Abraham in the 70s'. I entered a spot the difference compitition in the Cheeky Weekly comic and won a copy of the Smurfts album.
    My name was the only one out of the 50 winners not to be printed so, unknown to me, my mum wrote to the comic and her letter was printed as letter of the week and they sent me a two pound postal order (I think thats what you call them) and a Cheeky Weekly badge.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really anticipated the smurfs movie after being a huge fan of the show,
    * The CGI Animation was absoutley amazing especially in the Smurf Village.
    *I would of prefered the movie to be set in the Smurfs world rather than New York because that idea is over used in movies eg.Alvin and the chipmunks.
    *The characters of Grace and Peter *I think his name was?* you had no emotions to them as they had no depth into them, they were boring the movie could of possibly dealt without Peter(?) And maybe just have Grace.
    *All the smurf voice actors were great, the smurf you mainly feel connected to is Clumsy as he takes the main lead in the movie to me.
    Overall 89/100 smurfs. :)
  • Options
    ItsTimmyTimeItsTimmyTime Posts: 1,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I took my neice to see it earlier, and I was worried beforehand because I grew up watching the Smurfs and hoped it wouldn't ruin it for me, but...

IT WAS GREAT! :D

Seriously, I throughly enjoyed the film! The film had slapstick for little kids but plenty of jokes that only adults would get! :) It reminded me of the Shrek movies in this case because even though it was set in a fairytale land there was a cynical view on it [The bit where Neil Patrick Harris was questioning everything about the smurfs was hilarious because it just silenced people who would question the logic of the film]
    The 3D was really good, so much so that I could hear my neice "Ooh" and "Aah" (I even heard a few "Wow"s :D) even though she has seen plenty of 3D movies! :)
    Overall, 7.5 out of 10 is what I would give it! It was funny, nostalgic, and there was rarely a dull moment.
    Heck, it deserves kudos for trying and succeeding in entertaining adults as well as the kids it would seem to be aimed for! :)
  • Options
    butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another voice here for loving it (41, with kids of 5, 9 and 11). I thought it was great for kids and whilst there were some jokes for the adults, they weren't crude or laboured or uncomfortable.

Good story, well-animated and didn't get bored once. In fact, I probably smiled more than I did during the Inbetweeners..

Did not recognise Hank Azaria at all until he was mentioned in the credits. I'm surprised they aren't doing much in the way of re-releasing old smurf stuff as a retro tie-in..