Options

Could it be said that Katy Perry is the world's biggest popstar, right now?

Comments

• Options
    Tree-Of-LifeTree-Of-Life Posts: 1,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Katy Perry is certainly one of the world's leading superstars at present, but I do not regard her as the number 1, that would be between Gaga and Rihanna and obviously Madonna, just because it's Madonna.
  • Options
    rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say it's between her and Rihanna, any given month chances are one of them will be in the spotlight and doing great.

Rihanna in the current album doesn't seem to be gaining as much attention as she did with Loud, but she's still racking up the hits.

Lady Gaga and Beyoncé are still there doing well, and I still think both will probably outlast RiRi and Katy, at least in sustained popularity.
  • Options
    Fear of FoursFear of Fours Posts: 1,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kazozh5 wrote: »
    well it didnt get #1 week after because of the Brit Awards where there was that big Adele performance. Someone like you?

But Gaga wasn't kept off the #1 spot by Adele.

Gaga remained at #3, Jessie J was #2 and Adele was at #1. If Adele kept anyone off the #1 spot that week it was Jessie J who Adele had knocked off. Jessie J stopped Gaga moving to #2.
  • Options
    habanalahabanala Posts: 2,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is by far rihanna in the uk but it is difficult to judge worldwide
  • Options
    DavidWittsFanDavidWittsFan Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    Yeah judging from the stats I would say its Rihanna.

But Katy is not far behind. Lady Gaga seems to be slipping.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    Put it this way. If Katy Perry, Rihanna, Gaga, Beyonce, Nicki Minaj, Britney Spears and Madonna (arguably pop's leading ladies) all released an album on the same day, who do you think would win? Judging by past first week sales and hype that surrounds each ladies' album releases in general, I think it'd go something like this:

US:
    1. Lady Gaga
    2. Beyonce
    3. Madonna
    4. Britney Spears
    5. Katy Perry
    6. Nicki Minaj
    7. Rihanna

UK:
    1. Lady Gaga
    2. Rihanna
    3. Beyonce
    4. Katy Perry
    5. Madonna
    6. Nicki Minaj
    7. Britney Spears

Anyone disagree?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jkennedy wrote: »
    Put it this way. If Katy Perry, Rihanna, Gaga, Beyonce, Nicki Minaj, Britney Spears and Madonna (arguably pop's leading ladies) all released an album on the same day, who do you think would win? Judging by past first week sales and hype that surrounds each ladies' album releases in general, I think it'd go something like this:

US:
    1. Lady Gaga
    2. Beyonce
    3. Madonna
    4. Britney Spears
    5. Katy Perry
    6. Nicki Minaj
    7. Rihanna

UK:
    1. Lady Gaga
    2. Rihanna
    3. Beyonce
    4. Katy Perry
    5. Madonna
    6. Nicki Minaj
    7. Britney Spears

Anyone disagree?

I do. Rihanna would be number in the uk. fact! (ok maybe not fact but i would be willing to bet a large amount of money!) Talk that talk went platinum after 1 week of sales.
    The rest of your lists are probably right though. Britney doesnt really sell much in the uk anymore
  • Options
    Forum Member
    habanala wrote: »
    I do. Rihanna would be number in the uk. fact! (ok maybe not fact but i would be willing to bet a large amount of money!)
    The rest of your lists are probably right though. Britney doesnt really sell much in the uk anymore

You'd think. But Talk That Talk sold 163,000 copies in its first week in the UK after the megasmash #1 for 6 weeks We Found Love and an X Factor performance.
    Born This Way sold 215,000 copies in its first week in the UK after no #1 single and Judas completely flopping.

Of course I agree, Rihanna is more popular casually in the UK than Gaga overall, but when it comes to an actual devoted fanbase who will actively go out and buy your material as soon as it hits the shops, Gaga wins.
  • Options
    Gaspanic!Gaspanic! Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'd think. But Talk That Talk sold 163,000 copies in its first week in the UK after the megasmash #1 for 6 weeks We Found Love and an X Factor performance.
    Born This Way sold 215,000 copies in its first week in the UK after no #1 single and Judas completely flopping.

But in the long run Rihanna's album has sold alot more, and she is definitely the most popular right now.
  • Options
    rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

US:
    1. Lady Gaga
    2. Beyonce
    3. Madonna
    4. Britney Spears
    5. Katy Perry
    6. Nicki Minaj
    7. Rihanna

UK:
    1. Lady Gaga
    2. Rihanna
    3. Beyonce
    4. Katy Perry
    5. Madonna
    6. Nicki Minaj
    7. Britney Spears

Anyone disagree?

In the US I'd actually have Britney and Katy above Madonna.

UK Rihanna and Beyonce above Gaga, Nicki above Madonna. Britney and Madonna would be tight for 7th. (I'm basing this on the fact there would be major hype around a release date like this, based on who would come across best to audiences, get most attention etc, rather than standad x sold this many of last album v y sold this many)
  • Options
    ItsTimmyTimeItsTimmyTime Posts: 1,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Of course I agree, Rihanna is more popular casually in the UK than Gaga overall, but when it comes to an actual devoted fanbase who will actively go out and buy your material as soon as it hits the shops, Gaga wins.

I get your point, but that was a year ago, a long time in pop music! :p I'd like to emphasize the "Right Now" aspect of the thread title. Katy is on a MASSIVE wave of success and her film looks like it could continue it. I think at the moment in Pop it's between Her and Rihanna. Seeing as Gaga is on a (Admittedly, quite large) world tour, but on the other side of the world, out of the media glare, I don't see her as a contender. Personally, I'd put Katy above Rihanna seeing as Katy has a greater part to play in her career, and Rihanna just seems to be a vehicle for hit songs to an extent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well yes, fair, enough, Katy Perry at this exact moment is the biggest popstar in the world and that's great because I love Katy and she was incredible in concert.

Katy and Rihanna have all the hits of the day, but you can't deny the fact that overall, it's Gaga selling out stadiums worldwide. Could Katy/Rihanna? I really doubt it.
  • Options
    So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I'd put Katy above Rihanna seeing as Katy has a greater part to play in her career, and Rihanna just seems to be a vehicle for hit songs to an extent.

If we're picking between Perry and Rihanna I'd say Katy to.

As you said, Katy's still on a massively success album; while Rihanna on the other hand has had much bigger and better days then the Talk That Talk era (bar We Found Love obviously).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well yes, fair, enough, Katy Perry at this exact moment is the biggest popstar in the world and that's great because I love Katy and she was incredible in concert.

Katy and Rihanna have all the hits of the day, but you can't deny the fact that overall, it's Gaga selling out stadiums worldwide. Could Katy/Rihanna? I really doubt it.

Rihanna played to 1,200,800 people on her loud tour, grossed 90 million dollars and she also has the record for selling out the o2 10 times!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rihanna played to 1,200,800 people, grossed 90 million dollars and she also has the record for selling out the o2 10 times!

Yes in the UK. I said worldwide.

Did her arena tour in the US even sell out?

And besides, Rihanna's never even had a US #1 album.
    How can someone who isn't the #1 artist of 1 week in the US be called the "biggest popstar" in the world?! It's just wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes in the UK. I said worldwide.

Did her arena tour in the US even sell out?

And besides, Rihanna's never even had a US #1 album.
    How can someone who isn't the #1 artist of 1 week in the US be called the "biggest popstar" in the world?! It's just wrong.

Your not bothered about anything she has done in the uk and keep harping on about worldwide but you quite clearly just think the us is worldwide.
    She has still sold loads in the us and will be over taking madonna soon for number 1s so you cant completely disregard her success in the us just because she hasnt had a number one album yet,
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your not bothered about anything she has done in the uk and keep harping on about worldwide but you quite clearly just think the us is worldwide.
    She has still sold loads in the us and will be over taking madonna soon for number 1s so you cant completely disregard her success in the us just because she hasnt had a number one album yet,

But Katy has already had 7 not too far behind Rihanna and all of her's have been lead artist if you look at it Rihanna has big singles then alot of flops katy consecutively does well and is further in her career at this point than rihanna was and imagine if she gets bigger.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I know Rihanna has been extremely successful in the US, and even moreso in the UK. Her and Katy are the people's popstars.

I just don't understand it when people say Gaga is a "flop" or something similar. It just doesn't make sense and is just false.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    But Katy has already had 7 not too far behind Rihanna and all of her's have been lead artist if you look at it Rihanna has big singles then alot of flops katy consecutively does well and is further in her career at this point than rihanna was and imagine if she gets bigger.

She could also quite easily flop though, she might not ever have 6 albums! Rihannas success has grew and grew for all we know gaga and perry have peaked
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know Rihanna has been extremely successful in the US, and even moreso in the UK. Her and Katy are the people's popstars.

I just don't understand it when people say Gaga is a "flop" or something similar. It just doesn't make sense and is just false.

No one in the right mind would say gaga has flopped, she hasnt but alot of people who loved her first time round dont like her new stuff and her fans and gaga herself saying things like "btw is the best album ever" just make people laugh.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She could also quite easily flop though, she might not ever have 7 albums! Rihannas success has grew and grew for all we know gaga and perry have peaked

She could but its unlikely unless she does a BTW and handles things poorly if you look at it her debut wasn't a massive success and neither were the singles bar two and with her second album she has pretty much owned it and Rihanna had success on her third album limited on her fourth and so has decided to churn out music of less quality she is extremely prolific compared to the other two and its doing more damge than good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No one in the right mind would say gaga has flopped, she hasnt but alot of people who loved her first time round dont like her new stuff and her fans and gaga herself saying things like "btw is the best album ever" just make people laugh.

Born This Way is my favourite album ever, personally.

Just because you don't agree with that statement doesn't mean it's not true, that for some people, they actually do genuinely love the BTW album.

Some people really need to get over The Fame Monster. Yes it was great, but only Bad Romance, Alejandro and Dance in the Dark match the quality of most of the BTW tracks for me personally.
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

US:
    1. Lady Gaga
    2. Beyonce
    3. Madonna
    4. Britney Spears
    5. Katy Perry
    6. Nicki Minaj
    7. Rihanna

UK:
    1. Lady Gaga
    2. Rihanna
    3. Beyonce
    4. Katy Perry
    5. Madonna
    6. Nicki Minaj
    7. Britney Spears

Anyone disagree?

In the UK, I don't thing any of them would necessarily get the #1 spot.

It depends if there are any big British releases the same week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like BTW but im under no illusion it was a masterpiece it was far from Flawless it was just to over the place and a bit dated and ill footed but the idea and concept behind it was good just badly executed and a little pretentious i agree with others she did loose her sense of fun with it and TFM was great as it had a darker tone whilst retaining what made TF good.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    Is it worth mentioning that Katy Perry has more Twitter followers than Rihanna?

So she's 3rd behind Gaga and Bieber :D