Doc Martin (Part 14 — Spoilers)

Comments

• dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    in thinking more about this, it seems to me that she must have left town almost immediately. This depends though on whether or not one thinks that she would have stayed in town once she knew she was pregnant.

Because she must have been pregnant on the wedding day, perhaps as much as two weeks (even three or four). Assuming everything more or less working normally, she must have missed her first period in another couple of weeks, and allowing for her thinking it might be "stress" etc or just not figuring it out, But within a month of the wedding, at the outside, she must at least have been suspicious, and I can't think she would have gone to London and given up her job if she knew. But I am uncertain here, and can easily imagine people thinking this would be all the more reason for her to get out of Dodge.

So, one scenario -- she called her friend Holly for a little consolation, (or Holly was there, amongst all that crowd at the church) who immediately offered sanctuary and a temporary job in London, and Louisa just jumped at the chance to get out of town. (Two weeks notice at the school or perhaps waived under the circumstances?)

I do agree that they didn't do a good enough job of explaining within the context of the show why they called off the wedding. The outraged surprise of virtually all of their millions of viewers is testament to that! I think they tried to do it, and going back and decoding, many scenes pointed to the ending, but perhaps it was just not really possible to make it fully explicable.

I think they set up her leaving pretty well, Holly all but offered her a job in London when they were having coffee. I envisioned Louisa going home and calling her right away to tell her she would take the job.

Also, Bert seems to understand Louisa pretty well, he saw that she wasn't really prepared for motherhood. That's why he planned the shower - to rally the town around her. Aunt Joan helped her out a lot, too. But that's why Louisa came home, to be with her old friends, so at some level she knew she couldn't go it alone. Of course, she probably hoped Martin would be more supportive. That she hadn't really thought through the possibility that he would be less than thrilled is testament to her general approach at life. She seems to put off dealing with issues until the last minute - when they're right up in her face and she can't ignore them anymore. She's not a multi-tasker in her personal life.
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    I think they set up her leaving pretty well, Holly all but offered her a job in London when they were having coffee. I envisioned Louisa going home and calling her right away to tell her she would take the job.

Also, Bert seems to understand Louisa pretty well, he saw that she wasn't really prepared for motherhood. That's why he planned the shower - to rally the town around her. Aunt Joan helped her out a lot, too. But that's why Louisa came home, to be with her old friends, so at some level she knew she couldn't go it alone. Of course, she probably hoped Martin would be more supportive. That she hadn't really thought through the possibility that he would be less than thrilled is testament to her general approach at life. She seems to put off dealing with issues until the last minute - when they're right up in her face and she can't ignore them anymore. She's not a multi-tasker in her personal life.

It makes sense if Holly got her the job as it likely would be with some hoity-toity folks, a higher level school, since the obnoxious Holly was associating with them, ergo her personality change.

LG would have a lower starting pay, though, thus her "bedsit" in one of the world's most expensive cities.

I'm going to write something which may or may not be PC, and I apologize for upsetting anyone with my thoughts. But, I wonder if that potentially high socioeconomic level of school would indeed be very against LG being unmarried and pregnant, asking her to leave. Or, would any school in London, do you think, not like her emerging stomach, and ask her to leave? Obviously, she was allowed to work in PW as an unmarried pregnant woman.
  • dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    It makes sense if Holly got her the job as it likely would be with some hoity-toity folks, a higher level school, since the obnoxious Holly was associating with them, ergo her personality change.

LG would have a lower starting pay, though, thus her "bedsit" in one of the world's most expensive cities.

I'm going to write something which may or may not be PC, and I apologize for upsetting anyone with my thoughts. But, I wonder if that potentially high socioeconomic level of school would indeed be very against LG being unmarried and pregnant, asking her to leave. Or, would any school in London, do you think, not like her emerging stomach, and ask her to leave? Obviously, she was allowed to work in PW as an unmarried pregnant woman.

In a public school in the United States I don't think she could be discriminated against because she is pregnant. But I don't know about the laws in England.
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    In a public school in the United States I don't think she could be discriminated against because she is pregnant. But I don't know about the laws in England.

the school in Portwenn is a state school, I think, or public in the sense that we mean it in the U.S. Louisa very gently but pointedly reminded Mr. Strain that he legally could not refuse to hire her -- and I assume that means fire her -- on the grounds of her pregnancy (unless I misunderstand that scene in S4E2). But I think the law may be different for private schools. I'll ask my daughter if she knows.

In any case, I imagine the London school had ways of making its displeasure with the situation evident. She never really said explicitly that they fired her, although they probably did.
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Found Dr Milligan's office. In Wadebridge as I expected. :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Idiots, morons,
    Unctious imbeciles to him
    The town's tosser broods
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie, can we declare Rewatch of S2E2 officially on?
  • ggo85ggo85 Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    Good news that all of the characters will be back, including the dog! And they'll be back in PW -- those issues obviously have been resolved.

Interesting that of all the countries where DM is "screened," the USA isn't mentioned.:(

Also interesting that they did not (yet) say that this would be the last series . . . although I think many of us suspect it will be.:cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ggo85 wrote: »
    Good news that all of the characters will be back, including the dog! And they'll be back in PW -- those issues obviously have been resolved.

Interesting that of all the countries where DM is "screened," the USA isn't mentioned.:(

Also interesting that they did not (yet) say that this would be the last series . . . although I think many of us suspect it will be.:cry:

Chin up

You got ' among other countries '

;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »

"disaster written all over it" :eek::eek::eek::eek:

don't you dare, BP, don't you dare.

Truly, another season like S5 will really annoy me.

No clue about Mrs. Tishell.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 366
    Forum Member
    "I’m thrilled to be going back to the beautiful North Cornish coast to shoot series six of Doc Martin," said Martin. "Our challenge this season will be to force Louisa and the doctor to live together with Baby James which as far as I can see has disaster written all over it…..And then there’s the dog and Dame Eileen but not necessarily in that order!"

He refers to JH as Baby James -- so should we assume that not much time has passed since the end of Series 5?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bookfan2 wrote: »
    "I’m thrilled to be going back to the beautiful North Cornish coast to shoot series six of Doc Martin," said Martin. "Our challenge this season will be to force Louisa and the doctor to live together with Baby James which as far as I can see has disaster written all over it…..And then there’s the dog and Dame Eileen but not necessarily in that order!"

He refers to JH as Baby James -- so should we assume that not much time has passed since the end of Series 5?

I can't imagine them not starting off pretty directly after the S5 finale. If we are going to see them living together I doubt much ir any time has passed since the Castle episode.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I was looking for that also and it seems important that it wasn't mentioned.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't imagine them not starting off pretty directly after the S5 finale. If we are going to see them living together I doubt much ir any time has passed since the Castle episode.

I agree. Time passed -- a few hours to at most, a couple of weeks, right up to the christening.
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    I was looking for that also and it seems important that it wasn't mentioned.

I agree with this too. Perhaps in the interim since filming for S5 finished, Mr. Clunes has decided to hedge his bets -- especially since it seems that he still can get acting roles out of ITV.

But not so good news also -- because that means they'll feel free to jerk us around again, with another series in the offing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member

It's Africa that really should be offended. Since when has Africa been a country?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie, can we declare Rewatch of S2E2 officially on?

Sorry, computer problems.

Series 2 episode 2
    directed by Ben Bolt
    Written by Richard Stoneman.

"In loco"

Louisa interviews for a position as headmistress and crosses Martin by insisting that children with a highly contagious disease should still come to school against the doctor's wishes. Peter stays with Martin after Peter's mother suffers serious burns. Bert Large steps in to maintain the chip shop whilst Mrs Cronk is hospitalised, only to find his "experience in the catering trade" is a little wayward
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In loco I assume refers to In loco parentis - assumes parental rights without the legal responsibilities.

I guess it is to show what a hopeless parent DM would be?

Don't like this episode much. I guess that stems from not having much sympathy for Mrs Cronk.

Like Peter - especially "Call me Peter in front of the kids". : )

Richard Stoneman always brings out the worst in DM, he is dismissive about LG's job and work required for the upcoming interview and then assumes she's being nice just to get in his good books.

Another classic BL stuff up.
    I do like Mark better second time around. A pity he chose to leave.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh Nooooooooo! :cry::cry::cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    In loco I assume refers to In loco parentis - assumes parental rights without the legal responsibilities.

Don't like this episode much. I guess that stems from not having much sympathy for Mrs Cronk.

Richard Stoneman always brings out the worst in DM, he is dismissive about LG's job and work required for the upcoming interview and then assumes she's being nice just to get in his good books.

"In loco parentis" -- applies to DM's ham-handed managing of Peter, but also I think to Peter Kronk, who seems to be trying to parent his mother, and also to Al, who definitely the parental figure of that duo.

The Richard Stoneman version of DM is pretty much without redeeming features. The crankiness is amped up this episode. Notice the little half-smirk on his face when he attempts to pawn Peter off on a reluctant Louisa. And the way he winds up Mrs. Kronk in her hospital bed in a display of tactlessness so colossal that one wonders if it isn't actively hostile.

The little session with Louisa in the kitchen was sweet, until indeed he spoiled it with an uncalled for affront to her motives in being nice to him.

And it was sweet of him to grill the fish sticks for Peter.

Once again, Louisa extends an invitation to him to join her for a drink and he winds up watching from afar and retreating into the house. Perhaps this is because he won't join her if a social event involving other people is involved. But I think he is actively trying to resist his growing interest in her.

Still, it does have the great speech about rats scrabbling through the streets, even if seems somewhat disproportionate to the provocation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've updated my locations set on Flickr. The changes:

1. I noticed that I had Mrs Cronk's name as "Mrs Cook" on the two chip shop locations. Got that fixed. :o

2. Identified Mrs Steele's house (also used as the McFlynn house) near Trevalga.

3. Identified Roger Fenn's house near Trevalga.

4. Identified the location of the outdoor concert as Pencarrow House between Wadebridge and Bodmin. There has been some discussion about it, but I found a picture of it on Flickr and it absolutely matches the large estate we can see when Martin & Louisa are walking from where they parked the car and then we see the concert taking place around the corner of the building.

5. Identified Dr Milligan's office in Wadebridge.

I am also pretty sure I have located the mortuary on the grounds of the hospital in Truro, but no way to be absolutely sure. Maybe if any of our group going there next year plans to go into Truro I can give them the location I found and they could verify it.

Here is where to see the new stuff (in the "Locations" set):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35584579@N00/sets/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still, it does have the great speech about rats scrabbling through the streets, even if seems somewhat disproportionate to the provocation.

I know! That is one of my favorite Martin speeches. It is so ridiculous, but he delivers it with such passion! LOL!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »

Wow, I see this episode in a much different way.

I actually think that DM does a great job of parenting Peter, once Peter falls asleep on his sofa.

1. He doesn't wake Peter up but accepts responsibility for him over night.
    2. He is a good parent telling him that since he did not eat a good breakfast he may be hungry now.
    3. He is suddenly awakened by Peter, and Peter turns to leave, but then immediately DM gets himself under control and examines Peter's hand in a patient way.
    4. He takes Peter to see his mum, and then trusts him to get a valid DVD. DM feeds him food he wants to eat, not his own fish dinner. When he realizes that Peter lied to him about the DVD, he doesn't get upset or yell at him. DM seems clueless but then again he sees in Peter a maturity he himself had at that age, and Peter was by no means emotionally damaged by watching virgins and eyeballs.
    5. He controls Peter in his surgery, telling him to stay in the kitchen due to his contagiosity, but in a firm manner, the way a parent should. He explains the name of his skin condition to Peter to educate him.

All in all, I found DM doing a great job of temporarily parenting Peter, and Peter did, too. Sure, DM was insecure about the role and Mark thrust it on him, but he really did well. Peter enjoyed being around DM, and would have liked spending more time with him. Peter was by no means abused, was cared for physically and even a bit emotionally.

DM did say a ridiculous line to Mrs. Cronk in the hospital, but accepted Peter's snarky response line in the green grocer very well, without getting angry or admonishing Peter. DM also ruined the moment with LG, true, but DM is clearly out of control the whole episode regarding the skin condition and how LG handles it at the school, and her desire to be Head Mistress.

Btw, "Loco" also means crazy, insane, mad in Spanish, but not sure that has that much reference to this episode with there being no real Spanish aspects to it. Perhaps Bert was crazy to take over the fish shop, but he did well, and perhaps DM was crazy to take over caring for Peter, but he did very well in my opinion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, I see this episode in a much different way.

I actually think that DM does a great job of parenting Peter, once Peter falls asleep on his sofa.

1. He doesn't wake Peter up but accepts responsibility for him over night.
    2. He is a good parent telling him that since he did not eat a good breakfast he may be hungry now.
    3. He is suddenly awakened by Peter, and Peter turns to leave, but then immediately DM gets himself under control and examines Peter's hand in a patient way.
    4. He takes Peter to see his mum, and then trusts him to get a valid DVD. DM feeds him food he wants to eat, not his own fish dinner. When he realizes that Peter lied to him about the DVD, he doesn't get upset or yell at him. DM seems clueless but then again he sees in Peter a maturity he himself had at that age, and Peter was by no means emotionally damaged by watching virgins and eyeballs.
    5. He controls Peter in his surgery, telling him to stay in the kitchen due to his contagiosity, but in a firm manner, the way a parent should. He explains the name of his skin condition to Peter to educate him.

All in all, I found DM doing a great job of temporarily parenting Peter, and Peter did, too. Sure, DM was insecure about the role and Mark thrust it on him, but he really did well. Peter enjoyed being around DM, and would have liked spending more time with him. Peter was by no means abused, was cared for physically and even a bit emotionally.

DM did say a ridiculous line to Mrs. Cronk in the hospital, but accepted Peter's snarky response line in the green grocer very well, without getting angry or admonishing Peter. DM also ruined the moment with LG, true, but DM is clearly out of control the whole episode regarding the skin condition and how LG handles it at the school, and her desire to be Head Mistress.

Btw, "Loco" also means crazy, insane, mad in Spanish, but not sure that has that much reference to this episode with there being no real Spanish aspects to it. Perhaps Bert was crazy to take over the fish shop, but he did well, and perhaps DM was crazy to take over caring for Peter, but he did very well in my opinion.

You know, he did fumble the start of taking care of Peter but he did do a decent job later, and we know that because of how Peter responded to him, with respect and even a little hero-worship. Maybe his automatic refusal to take Peter in is related to his general tendency to refuse to get involved with other people, which I maintain extends even to someone he cares about as much as Louisa (at this point.)

And as he will later be a good father to James Henry in spite of his initial reluctance to become involved.

Another significant comment is when he told Louisa he was taking care of him at age 10, and she remarks that she knows that he's not like most other people.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1. Love it when he growls at the dog.

2. Note the glass of water (not whiskey) going to bed.

3. Also love the banter with Peter.

4. Notice the pinky finger affectation when DM's putting the fish sticks on the broiling pan. Same thing he starts doing increasingly when writing prescriptions.

5. I'm confused. Is Bert a Good Samaritan or trying to benefit from his fish purchase?

6. I know they were funny, but not sure I like that the two other candidates for the headship were so obviously unqualified. I'd like to think Louisa won this position on her merit that could have prevailed over other qualified applicants.

7. It's interesting that both the Doc and Louisa comment about listening. She thinks she's good at listening (per the interview) and he thinks the villagers and Louisa don't listen to his advice.
This discussion has been closed.