Four in a Bed. New series!!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MRSgotobed wrote: »
    It have stayed in places where you can order your breakfast the night before, you didn't have to, but I preferred it, it has never bothered me. A menu, with a space to order by room number was in the guest lounge. Nobody else staying minded either. If she does describe herself as luxury, that would mean ensuite or private bathroom for me.

Having said all that Toni is new, the two most critical couples have been cocking it up for longer.

Luxury isn't a word I would have chosen but it looked extra warm and comfortable and well-appointed to me. And that's great for a B&B!
  • hooterhooter Posts: 30,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cestrian18 wrote: »
    Hated this whole week but tomorrow does look very interesting, tbh whoever screen tested these fools needs firing, Nobody is coming well out this mess :(

It has been a horrible week, more noticeably so since last weeks offering made such enjoyable viewing.

Oh well, roll on next week:(
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Millenary wrote: »
    Think of what is left on the cutting room floor. 75+ hours of positive stuff..
    Doubt it. Various of the participants over the series have said that the four sets of owners are kept separate - in different rooms - unless they are all together for meals, activities, etc, and the cameras are running.
  • chloebchloeb Posts: 6,501
    Forum Member
    M@nterik wrote: »
    They are right about the 'luxury' thing.

As pleasant as it was her definition of 'luxury' is slightly off kilter
  • jamtamarajamtamara Posts: 2,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must be one of the few really enjoying it. Looking forward to tomorrow.

Toni may to be a music teacher. I didn't catch that bit. If she does it from home she won't make much money from that alone.

Her poached eggs looked very good. Not referring to her chest at all. Obviously.
  • hoppyuppyhoppyuppy Posts: 10,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Normandie wrote: »
    I think so - her TripAdvisor reviews (all very good or excellent) only refer to Toni herself.

Tonight, there was an odd thing Toni said about herself and being an enigma (odd thing to aspire to in the hospitality business but still…) “Normally people know all about me whether they’ve met me or not…” Really ?! Who is she then? :confused:

I wish the bleddy men would allow the women – any of them – to finish a sentence before they interrupt and talk over them…

Gods… Louis damning Toni with faint praise: Toni doing “the best as she can… as she knows how…”

OH, who doesn’t usually say much during 4iaB, was sufficiently provoked to say “patronising arse…”

I agreed. :D

Lorraine is right however - it’s not a luxury b&b – subjective though the definition of luxury is… Appalachian Springs isn’t it. Nice and comfy and homely yes, luxury… no. But nowhere else this week was luxurious either. Certainly not Chez Louis... :rolleyes:

I don’t wholeheartedly like any of the properties this week.

I picked up on that and was hoping for the big reveal. She does look vaguely familiar and I had guessed a novelist, possibly a crime writer. Probably head of MI7 in the past.;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't see Tuesday or Wednesday but on character basis I like Toni and The girls, don't like Lorraine and her bloke or Louis and his Missus, they all seem like snooty gits.

Hi :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's what I thought too until people's expectations grew bigger and bigger on this show and totally out of control. There doesn't seem to be a distinct difference between a hotel and a B & B as far as most of the contestants on this show are concerned.

When I look back at the B&Bs I've stayed in over almost 50 years, most have been like staying in peoples' homes. Even the lovely Victorian place I mentioned although it has a fair number of rooms and is more like a private hotel has the owner chatting to you over breakfast, admiring everyone's dogs. I've stayed in Lake district pubs ,gay Village in Blackpool ,Llandudno, Morecombe ( now there's a last resort) seafront but you could have kippers fresh from the IOM. I've sat round a farmhouse kitchen table with the workers and got mothered in Devon....this was the first holiday with the fiance in 1966 and the landlady put him on the top floor and me on the ground floor..he had to suss out which stairs creaked....In 1969 we got chucked out of a B&B in Douglas because landlady didn't believe that my shiny new gold band was real ( which it was!)Boy times have changed.... Can't wait to start exploring more B&Bs thanks to this programme and
  • SolarSailSolarSail Posts: 7,678
    Forum Member
    DamienS wrote: »
    It's been a naff week

Do you know, I'm a fan and yet I can hardly summon up any comments of my own - so following the time-honoured path of multi quoting replies.
    Torch81 wrote: »
    ... I can't imagine any of them will experience any beneficial increase in business due to how they've come across this week which for me totally defeats the purpose of taking part....
    I still love this show but its beginning to feel increasingly like it needs a bit of tweaking in the format, a minor refurb.

Totally agree Torch. I haven't seen any property that I'd be looking forward to visiting, even if I was looking for somewhere in that specific area.
    An overhaul is long overdue for my viewing pleasure.
    I find it unbelieveable what things people expect to get from a B & B these days. Most of their demands are what you'd expect to get at a 4 or 5 star hotel.
    Not sure about 4 or 5* hotels but as we keep on saying, some are hotels.
    A one person run homestay against a largish hotel with a 'million pound investment' and they're not even playing by the same rules.
    Louis measuring up Toni's room and proposing a complete redesign of the fitted furniture etc. just made him sound utterly stupid.
    Lizaj wrote: »
    Watching on plus 1...I can add patronising to Louis' crimes
    Mumsy24 wrote: »
    Watching on +1 too. Good grief! How condescending those 2 couples are.!

Those marks are offensive!

As for Louise and his luxury hotel - but- only 1 type of coffee is served!
    Lizaj wrote: »
    So if I asked him for a milder or stronger coffee, he can't control the number of spoonfuls..:confused:

Yes, came across there as very patronising.
    I really don't get his point about the coffee, surely you expect more choice in an hotel and less in a B&B?
    Especially as his hotel apparently prides itself on its food rather than its rooms :confused:

I have a bit of important feedback for Louis with all his vast experience...people don't always complain to :confused:the hotelier Louis, they go away and tell their friends and don't come back or recommend you.
    Saying that no one else has complained about something is absolutely no defence - their money/expectations.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jamtamara wrote: »
    I must be one of the few really enjoying it. Looking forward to tomorrow.

Toni may to be a music teacher. I didn't catch that bit. If she does it from home she won't make much money from that alone.

Her poached eggs looked very good. Not referring to her chest at all. Obviously.

'Toni is a viola player and an Alexander Technique teacher.'

This is what it says on the website, I thought at the beginning of the week she said she taught the viola.

I thought the poached eggs looked tasty too.

I woudn't mind ordering the night before, I always have the same thing anyway (scrambled eggs).

Millenary - Toni sadly doesn't accept pets.
  • owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    I don't get the fried egg business. Her scrambled and poached eggs looked perfect and frying an egg is easiest of all.

As the week has gone by I started to dislike Lorraine and hubby more and more. She's as mean as the towels she supplies.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, not luxury, but for 60 quids very good value - easily the best value this week.
    Its a pity that Toni seems to get a bit hung up on dictionary definitions tomorrow - like other FMs I don't think any hosts this week are going to come out well:(
    Forum Member
    hoppyuppy wrote: »
    I picked up on that and was hoping for the big reveal. She does look vaguely familiar and I had guessed a novelist, possibly a crime writer. Probably head of MI7 in the past.;)

I was hoping for a reveal too. Yes it's been said that she's a music teacher.
    There's reference somewhere to her children having left home and that's what the B&B rooms looked like to me, as though the rooms are theirs and ready for them to come back as and when, as opposed to letting rooms.
    I certainly didn't see any element of luxury there, I'd go for homely and welcoming (I expect, if you were a paying guest)

Perhaps she's lived there since Adam was a lad and so everyone around and about knows all about ?

It's a bit of a shame really how this lot iinteract, as there are a few pointers which wouldn't cost a lot or be too hard for Toni and she could probably learn a lot.
    Hi :)
    Is that a Hi to everyone here, or a Hi incase any of this week's owners are looking in?

HI from me either way :)

I still don't get the egg business Owl.

Looking forward to getting to tomorrow and then moving on.

Basically, I second what you said Normandie and I forget who made the remark, but yes, Lorraine's coming over more and more as a smiling assassin.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    SolarSail wrote: »
    Do you know, I'm a fan and yet I can hardly summon up any comments of my own - so following the time-honoured path of multi quoting replies.

Totally agree Torch. I haven't seen any property that I'd be looking forward to visiting, even if I was looking for somewhere in that specific area.
    An overhaul is long overdue for my viewing pleasure.

Not sure about 4 or 5* hotels but as we keep on saying, some are hotels.
    A one person run homestay against a largish hotel with a 'million pound investment' and they're not even playing by the same rules.
    Louis measuring up Toni's room and proposing a complete redesign of the fitted furniture etc. just made him sound utterly stupid.

Yes, came across there as very patronising.
    I really don't get his point about the coffee, surely you expect more choice in an hotel and less in a B&B?
    Especially as his hotel apparently prides itself on its food rather than its rooms :confused:

I have a bit of important feedback for Louis with all his vast experience...people don't always complain to :confused:the hotelier Louis, they go away and tell their friends and don't come back or recommend you.
    Saying that no one else has complained about something is absolutely no defence - their money/expectations.

I've stayed in both a 3 star and 4 star hotel recently and they were nowhere near as nice as that ladies place tonight or most of the nice, quality B & B's on this show. The 4 star room was pokey and smelly and the bed linen had not been changed from the last guests. Plus they had the nerve to charge £25 extra for breakfast. People's expectations of B & B's are far too high on this show.
  • hoppyuppyhoppyuppy Posts: 10,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've stayed in both a 3 star and 4 star hotel recently and they were nowhere near as nice as that ladies place tonight or most of the nice, quality B & B's on this show. The 4 star room was pokey and smelly and the bed linen had not been changed from the last guests. Plus they had the nerve to charge £25 extra for breakfast. People's expectations of B & B's are far too high on this show.

If I was 100% sure the bed hadn't been changed from previous guests, I would offer to insert the bed linen into the manager/owner, I did once do it in Southport. I then want my money back and don't stay there. Can't believe anyone would try it in a small place.
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems odd that the B & B owners are judged so much on their personalities. How much interaction does anybody really want from a B & B owner? :confused: Whenever I've stayed in such an establishment, I've just wanted to be left alone, certainly not conversation at the crack of dawn.
  • stefthepeststefthepest Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh er, selective kissing of guests might be frowned upon. Tut tut.

Yes I saw that and thought maybe it had been edited that way but not sure. Whether you like your guests or not you should treat them the same me thinks.
    Forum Member

Blimey, where was that anyone?
    £25 extra for breakfast? for two presumably? still steep.

I'd have been raising the roof anyway, the least you can expect is fresh bedlinen.
    What did you do? what happened?

As far as expectations, there's a line isn't there - such stupid comments this week to mark way down for no double glazing or wardrobes that would have been better not being built in the first place -v- decent comments about the size of towels (IMO)

The one thing I agree with Louis is his comment tonight that Toni's activity was the best of the week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    If I was 100% sure the bed hadn't been changed from previous guests, I would offer to insert the bed linen into the manager/owner, I did once do it in Southport. I then want my money back and don't stay there. Can't believe anyone would try it in a small place.

It was a 4 star hotel. Not that big. Only about 60 rooms. So no excuse for not changing the bedsheets.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I'd have been raising the roof anyway, the least you can expect is fresh bedlinen.

As far as expectations, there's a line isn't there - such stupid comments this week to mark way down for no double glazing or wardrobes that would have been better not being built in the first place -v- decent comments about the size of towels (IMO)

The one thing I agree with Louis is his comment tonight that Toni's activity was the best of the week.

No. £25 each for breakfast. It was in Brussels. Hotels are extortionate there for what you get. Very small rooms. And the ratings system for their hotels is totally inaccurate. This 4 star hotel would be more like a 2 star in this country, if even that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jamtamara wrote: »
    :D re first BIB

Second BIB: Did you see the Cat Lady week? I think her name is Eileen but I'm sure others on here can find her for you. She has a lovely Art Deco bathroom. I'm not sure whether she takes cats herself but it's worth seeing in any case.

Yes I did she was wonderful and obviously doted on her cats but not so keen on hair in my breakfast! Thanks for the tip though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1fab wrote: »
    It seems odd that the B & B owners are judged so much on their personalities. How much interaction does anybody really want from a B & B owner? :confused: Whenever I've stayed in such an establishment, I've just wanted to be left alone, certainly not conversation at the crack of dawn.

Unfortunately that's the name of the game very much like Come Dine with Me. If you get on with your host you're more likely to give food feedback. I'm with you, if I go to a B&B as long as they're polite and helpful I'm happy. I don't want or need to tell my life story.
  • M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member
    chloeb wrote: »
    As pleasant as it was her definition of 'luxury' is slightly off kilter

True, it looked a perfectly pleasant place. Nice setting, nice part of the country, good room rates. The breakfast thing is slightly annoying but from what I saw I would happily stay there unlike that place in St Austell which was shown to be in dire need of a clean or Louis's place.
  • M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member

25 quid. I find that hard to believe. In all my time business and pleasure travelling 21 euro was the most i have come across (although on business i went to the local shop instead).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    M@nterik wrote: »
    25 quid. I find that hard to believe. In all my time business and pleasure travelling 21 euro was the most i have come across (although on business i went to the local shop instead).

It was £25 for breakfast. Why would I make something like that up? Do you want me to provide you the bill or something :rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.