Options

If the BBC was subscription based, would you pay?

LeviathainLeviathain Posts: 719
Forum Member
✭✭
If the BBC was subscription based, around £10 per month, would you pay?

Or would you be more than happy to go without channels like BBC 1-4, BBC News and save yourself £120 per year.

If the BBC was subscription based would you pay? 210 votes

Yes
59% 125 votes
No
40% 85 votes

Comments

• Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leviathain wrote: »

Or would you be more than happy to go without channels like BBC 1-4, BBC News and save yourself £10 per year.

So not including all the radio stations and BBC.co.uk ??
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most the stuff I watch is on BBC so I would think yes.
    £10 a month would be a good price.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not for £10 a month, maybe a fiver, £6 at the most.
  • Options
    Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here we go again.......;-)
  • Options
    Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the Daily Mirror was £10 a month, would you pay? Because it IS"!! For one rag!!
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Or would you be more than happy to go without channels like BBC 1-4, BBC News and save yourself £120 per year.

Do you really think that if the BBC went behind a paywall that the government would axe the fee ? They would just continue on with a license fee maybe even under the same name to allow you to receive broadcast media in any shape or form.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the Daily Mirror was £10 a month, would you pay? Because it IS"!! For one rag!!

Nope.
  • Options
    LaurelandHardyLaurelandHardy Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would definitely subscribe to the BBC.
    BBC 4 and Radio 6 Music are worth it for me.
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Id happily pay a tenner a month for it if it remained ad-free and gave BBC One, Two, Three, Four & News.
    i think a tenner a month would be a steal in all honesty!
  • Options
    GormagonGormagon Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    as part of a Group subscription for what I watch, I would be willing to pay £3 or £4 per month.

As it stands at the moment. No.
  • Options
    DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given how rarely I watch BBC compared to other channels, I could not justify £10/month. I certainly would not subscribe - I would prefer to spend the £10/month extra upgrading my Sky to HD.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No one will ever be able to subscribe to the BBC as it is now.

An entity called the "BBC" might be able to take your money. But it would be a radically different beast to what currently exists.

It would be a commercial operation. That changes the entire nature of an organisation.

Eventually it would surely take commercials. The subscription would climb and climb. £200/year. £300/year
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably not, I don't watch it enough to justify the subscription,.

It would also cost more than £10 a month. That figure assumes that the 25m who currently pay for a TV licence all move over to subscription, which they wouldn't.
  • Options
    Zeropoint1Zeropoint1 Posts: 10,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How about considering how far £10 a month with Sky would get you?

Not very far as it's less than half the basic subscription and the amount of repeats they show far outweigh the BBC.

It really does make the BBC look an absolute bargain with 9 tv channels, 7 national radio stations, local radio, s4c(!) a website, catch up service and HD at no extra cost.
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The TV would then be taking up space that could be put to better use.
  • Options
    FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should've added a third option and that is:

Dependable.

All in all, it depends on what the BBC shows and how much it would charge.

What is the population of the UK that can access BBC on TV?
  • Options
    SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would you pay £10 a month to watch endless repeats of Flog it, Bargain hunt, antiques shows etc? Nope, too much crap on. I'd rather just pay for fri, sat & sun tv.

I'd get more entertainment watching this ^_^
  • Options
    peter05peter05 Posts: 3,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think if the BBC went subsciption, The goverment would take the money it would cost more than £10 a month may be £20 to £25 a month and the BBC would get less than they do now, but the BBC is the best broadcaster in the world (my opinoin)
  • Options
    mfrmfr Posts: 5,626
    Forum Member
    I watch and listen to more BBC than anything, so of course I would. A much better deal than my Now TV sub.

However the proposition makes little sense. It couldn't be £10 a month for the current offer as the same costs would be spread over fewer people. And there's no mechanism for subscription radio.
  • Options
    peter05peter05 Posts: 3,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zeropoint1 wrote: »
    How about considering how far £10 a month with Sky would get you?

Not very far as it's less than half the basic subscription and the amount of repeats they show far outweigh the BBC.

It really does make the BBC look an absolute bargain with 9 tv channels, 7 national radio stations, local radio, s4c(!) a website, catch up service and HD at no extra cost.

You could record on your sky+ box, you would not get any chanels so I think the BBC wins every time;-)
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,014
    Forum Member

WTF you getting this £10 a month from?

Sky charges over £20 a month just for its mediocre entertainment channels such as the sensational Sky 1 which today fills 4 hours from 16:00 to 20:00 with cartoons.

Today BBC1 kicks off the 6 Nations Rugby included in the £145.50 licence fee (40p a day) if it was with Sky I'd have to pay something like £200 a year for Sky Sports and be made to pay another £200 for entertainment channels most people don't watch.

Alternatively there is the Pay-As-Go Now TV which charges £6.99 for one day's access, compared to a TV licence of 40p a day.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The OP should have pointed out that £10/month is for a very cut-down BBC. No sport for sure of any kind. No radio as we know it. Maybe internet radio could work for subscription purposes.

Requiring every household to pay for a service really brings down the cost per household! When it's optional you just won't get the same number of customers.

In fact you could never get enough customers to be able to get even slightly close to the revenue the BBC has now. I think a subscription BBC could raise maybe £1billion/year. Perhaps a bit more initially.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mfr wrote: »
    I watch and listen to more BBC than anything, so of course I would. A much better deal than my Now TV sub.

However the proposition makes little sense. It couldn't be £10 a month for the current offer as the same costs would be spread over fewer people. And there's no mechanism for subscription radio.

But with Now Tv, just like Netflix you can opt in and out as you please.

Try doing that with the TV licence, with a subscription you would have that choice, unless they did a Sky and made it a contract.
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    Do you really think that if the BBC went behind a paywall that the government would axe the fee ? They would just continue on with a license fee maybe even under the same name to allow you to receive broadcast media in any shape or form.

Sadly I think there are a lot of people in this country naive enough to believe that would be the case.

Like you I think that is exactly what the government would do, they've never been known to scrap anything that extracts money out of the population willingly.

As for the poll, I would pay to watch the BBC as that is the service I watch the most, I certainly wouldn't give Sky's parent company any money.
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    To the OP :

This is a pointless poll as the BBC would have to change to be far more commercial in it's output.

So, more sport, more audience grabbers, less diverse and risky programming.

So, probably better to just leave it as it is.