Options

Allan Lake calls disabled boy a spastic Live on air. On the phone to him.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
Forum Member
Allan Lake who has his own radio show on the internet last night called one of his old regular callers a spastic live on air over a small incident which got allan lake jelous.

Tom a caller who has difficulties and has a disability called up allan show just to say hello. Sam "allans co host" then said Hiya tom. We got a special offer for you, Would you like to do your own one hour radio show here on the station?

Tom then replied i cant because somebody else has offerd me to do one on their station. Allan then said which station? Tom said I cant say.

Allan then said that tom needs to tell him or he will never talk to tom again. Tom then said who. And allan went mad hung up on Tom and then called him a spastic live on air.

I'm not being funny but that is so dis respectful and has probably really upset tom.

I am going to upload a recording if you want to hear it please reply and let me know so i can send you the link.

Whats your opinions ?

Comments

• Options
    AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pure Partridge!!
  • Options
    Dave FMDave FM Posts: 1,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm struggling to care really.

I mean it sounds pretty heartless, but then this is the arse who's ****ed up every chance they've been given.

I really don't care - hes a total nobody, pissing around on internet radio like i got bored of 6/7 years ago because hes incapable of sticking within ofcom rules.
  • Options
    Franny MagnetFranny Magnet Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    Allan Lake who has his own radio show on the internet last night called one of his old regular callers a spastic live on air over a small incident which got allan lake jelous.

Tom a caller who has difficulties and has a disability called up allan show just to say hello. Sam "allans co host" then said Hiya tom. We got a special offer for you, Would you like to do your own one hour radio show here on the station?

Tom then replied i cant because somebody else has offerd me to do one on their station. Allan then said which station? Tom said I cant say.

Allan then said that tom needs to tell him or he will never talk to tom again. Tom then said who. And allan went mad hung up on Tom and then called him a spastic live on air.

I'm not being funny but that is so dis respectful and has probably really upset tom.

I am going to upload a recording if you want to hear it please reply and let me know so i can send you the link.

Whats your opinions ?

My opinion is that only a complete loser would care...
  • Options
    nobjockeynobjockey Posts: 1,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On "air" where?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A complete loser? that i care that a boy with a disability is being taken the piss out of on live radio? That he was listening to.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 336
    Forum Member
    I've turned on the show when some friends told me Lake was going off on one about various people. I must say I was not shocked when Allan told the caller with disabilities that they wanted him to do a show because it would be funny having a spastic on the air.

For Allan's sake, I hope any prospective new bosses of his don't hear the recordings.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    What. A. ****.
  • Options
    FMDJFMDJ Posts: 894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is exactly the kind thing behind the reason Spanish ex-pat station Costa FM stopped stealing the show that and the fact that it was crap.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No I am not overreacting or anything.

I just think saying on the air

"We only want you on the radio cause it would be funny to have a spastic do a show" Is wrong.
  • Options
    Murray MintMurray Mint Posts: 9,129
    Forum Member
    It was a distasteful remark. No different to Mike Mendoza and Richard Littlejohn spouting homophobic nonsense on the radio.
  • Options
    Paulrobbo_kPaulrobbo_k Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    disgusting remarks?
  • Options
    Murray MintMurray Mint Posts: 9,129
    Forum Member
    haha thats pretty funny though?

It all depends on the sense of humour one has.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    Regardless of the rights and wrongs - and I'm certainly not suggesting that the alleged remarks are in good taste - isn't this exactly why Allan is doing Internet radio? So that he can say anything he wants, no matter how distasteful/offensive/insulting?

That's the beauty - and ugliness - of an unregulated medium. Don't like it, don't listen. That's the risk you run when you tune in to something branded specifically as having the potential to offend.

I'm sure he's enjoying the publicity regardless - controversy is what stations like No Rules Radio thrive on.
  • Options
    wickstawicksta Posts: 1,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure at least 1 of the 3 listeners was offended.
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What if this call was a set-up and the listener knowing Lake's style took it for a joke?

It is possible to be disabled and have a joke about it from time to time!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It was not a set up as i personally know tom. Who was very upset over what allan said.

Yeah it's internet radio & allan can do what he wants. But he fired one of his DJ's Just for lying to the listeners about a guest as a joke.

Yet he goes and bullys a guy with disabilitys?

It's just disrespectful and not on!
  • Options
    nobjockeynobjockey Posts: 1,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AZZURRI 06 wrote: »
    Pure Partridge!!
    No I am not overreacting or anything.

I just think saying on the air

"We only want you on the radio cause it would be funny to have a spastic do a show" Is wrong.

1) it's not on "air" anywhere

2) it's not on the radio

3) no one listens
  • Options
    Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    Set up or real, internet or regular radio, the comment was offensive and out of order. Had this been broadcast on a convetional radio station it would have resulted in a fine from OFCOM and the presenter probably being sacked or suspended.

And this isn't someone talking "PC crap" as one poster put it - it's a so called broadcaster going for the lowest of the low in every sense.

Thankfully very few people would have actually heard it - and the only publicity it's likely to get is on DS.
  • Options
    HaydenHayden Posts: 32,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chapmania wrote: »

For Allan's sake, I hope any prospective new bosses of his don't hear the recordings.

I can't believe there's any of these left are they:D
  • Options
    vcsvcs Posts: 339
    Forum Member
    This guy comes across as a bit of a prat really.

To call someone a spastic anyway is just plain rude. To me this doesn't make 'good' radio, or even 'edgy' radio, it's just someone who seems to have fallen off the rails a bit.
  • Options
    SiGaSiGa Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sort of thing he does all the time and the reason I stopped listening around a month and a half ago. From my recollection he called Tom that on several occasions.

Allan has had advertisers bullied by people in chat rooms when he tried those on his station and could not be bothered to try and ban the culprits and then wondered why they did not renew the advertising contracts.

No it should not have been said, so simple and only answer is stop listening. And for Tom to stop phoning him.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Whats your opinions ?

i am not comfortbale wiv tom being used as a comedy prop and i hope he doesnt go ahead with the other radio show as theyre more than likely going to abuse him in the same way
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    My personal opinion, I don't know the guy and am not basing this on anything else other than what I've heard out of speakers...

He's an idiot. I've heard him at all the stations he's been on. He wants to be Stern, he will never be Stern. Howard is a one off. He's been in the business for over 10 years and still managed to not understand the basics. The Absolute situation being the most blatant moment of idiocy. It doesn't help that he's surrounded by people who don't get how radio works (I'll remove Polly from this, she seems fine)

Fair play for having a go on your own Allan, credit to you for setting up and giving it a go, but with stuff like this you'll never get a gig at another FM station, which is bound to be what you really, really want.

Take stock, think about what you're doing Allan and just leave it be. Maybe after this long you'll have realised that this isn't the profession for you, go into production or something else where your 'edgy' stuff may get used better
  • Options
    Franny MagnetFranny Magnet Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    flying eye wrote: »
    i am not comfortbale wiv tom being used as a comedy prop and i hope he doesnt go ahead with the other radio show as theyre more than likely going to abuse him in the same way

Using him as a comedy prop? What does that EVEN mean? :confused::confused::confused:
  • Options
    Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    Using him as a comedy prop? What does that EVEN mean? :confused::confused::confused:

Well if you don't know that probably explains why you've made the kind of comments you ahve so far.

In this case, the term refers to deliberately using a caller - and in particular his disability - to make what the presenter believes to be an amusing bit of radio.

If you still don't understand it I'd give up any hopes now of ever working in the indsutry.