Options

Anymore news on this £99 Orange Android?

dave81ukdave81uk Posts: 1,407
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'd love to get one of these as a second phone, but have very limited info on it, Does it have Wifi etc, the Tmo £79 Android doesn't

Comments

• Options
    chaos77chaos77 Posts: 769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you'd be better off with the LG Optimus, CW do it for £99. Has WiFi and LG is a known brand. LINK looks similar to the viewty,.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chaos77 wrote: »
    you'd be better off with the LG Optimus, CW do it for £99. Has WiFi and LG is a known brand. LINK looks similar to the viewty,.

Yeah but Optimus only has 1.6
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some info I found for those interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vhx9AeD1x0&feature=player_embedded

Full specification list:
    Talk Time: 4 hours
    Standby Time: 9 days
    Weight: 130g
    Dimensions: 116 x 56.5 x 11.8
    3.5 inch touchscreen, 480x800
    600MHz CPU
    Camera Features: 3 megapixel
    Connectivity: WiFi / Bluetooth / USB / SatNav
    Music: MP3 / FM Radio
    Network Band: Tri band
    Video: Messaging
    Memory: 150 MB internal / Up to 32gb Micro SD Card
    Email: POP3 / IMAP4
    Data Speed: 3G +
    Operating System: Android
    Version: Eclair v2.1
    Other: Orange WiFi, Your Orange
    Applications and Features: Orange Maps, Orange Messenger by Windows Live, Orange App Store, Email, Orange Wednesdays
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually looks pretty decent to be fair.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dave81uk wrote: »
    Yeah but Optimus only has 1.6

1.6 Bah! :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,503
    Forum Member
    dave81uk wrote: »
    I'd love to get one of these as a second phone, but have very limited info on it, Does it have Wifi etc, the Tmo £79 Android doesn't

Do you mean the Pulse Mini? It does have WiFi.

Mind you the rest of the specs of the San Francisco blow it away. The model feels very nice for such a bargain basement handset.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    goomba wrote: »

Mind you the rest of the specs of the San Francisco blow it away. The model feels very nice for such a bargain basement handset.

No San Francisco thats what i'm on about, couldn't remember its name. I'm trying to figure out what exactly the catch is, it looks to good to be true, maybe the battery only lasts 5 mins, maybe the screen is like the wildfire, maybe it only has 128mb ram, where have they cut the costs?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

From what I've read the San Francisco blows that out of the water, especially the screen. I couldn't live with a resistive 320x480 unit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We need a hands on review, there has to be a catch
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave meant the Pulse which of course has WiFi.

Maybe they will build a £25 one without WiFi soon.
    I bet Orange make more profit off this ZTE phone than they do the similar iPhone.

Would be useful if a mods merged the threads,
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1356889
    It has been confirmed that it does use the 7227 chipset. Its also been rooted almost immediately though methinks that aspect is at times overrated.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Dave meant the Pulse which of course has WiFi.

Maybe they will build a £25 one without WiFi soon.
    I bet Orange make more profit off this ZTE phone than they do the similar iPhone.

Would be useful if a mods merged the threads,
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1356889
    It has been confirmed that it does use the 7227 chipset. Its also been rooted almost immediately though methinks that aspect is at times overrated.

If it's a TZE phone, i wonder if it's the same model or higher than the ZTE Racer on Three? http://www.three.co.uk/_standalone/Device_Detail?content_aid=1220462230100&iframe=true&width=750&height=505

(EDIT: of course imeant ZTE not TZE )
    :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,503
    Forum Member
    If it's a TZE phone, i wonder if it's the same model or higher than the ZTE Racer on Three?

Apparently it is the ZTE Blade. Spec is a fair bit better than the Racer.
  • Options
    moordown66moordown66 Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just bought one this lunchtime. Seems ok so far, v.good for the price. Not had an android phone before so a bit of learning is going on.

Any specific questions - ask away and I'll reply later (if I understand the question!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moordown66 wrote: »
    Just bought one this lunchtime. Seems ok so far, v.good for the price. Not had an android phone before so a bit of learning is going on.

Any specific questions - ask away and I'll reply later (if I understand the question!)

Is the screen good and sharp? What about battery?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently it is the ZTE Blade. Spec is a fair bit better than the Racer.

wonder if three will drop the price of the racer then? £79 sounds fair!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes - screen is sharp. Too early to say about battery as I've only had it for 6 hours and was charging it/playing with it simultaneously.

Radio worked well. I'm in a strong signal area at present so all the nationals and big locals dropped in nicely. The test is in weaker areas I suppose. I don't know about other android phones so don't know if this is standard but I liked the fact you could drag the frequency from the tuner box onto the main body of the radio screen as a preset button.

Access to websites was pretty quick. I'm using Opera Mini on it.

It makes phone calls too ;)
  • Options
    mjdj1689mjdj1689 Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there no flash on the camera ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No flash
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    mjdj1689 wrote: »
    Is there no flash on the camera ?

no flash on the camera which is average

good phone once unlocked
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Screen has been described as being close in quality to the one on the HTC Desire.
    With both Sanyo and Huawei producing budget Android phones too just maybe £100 will be the norm for high spec feel phones.
    Mines good quality with a decent metal chassis and very good battery life. And the phone like almost all from CW is unlocked. For a higher res phone I would personally prefer the 4.3" size.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »

Mines good quality with a decent metal chassis and very good battery life. And the phone like almost all from CW is unlocked. For a higher res phone I would personally prefer the 4.3" size.

a good repcalement for my viewty then? i love my viewty but it's getting old and worn, i need a second phone to keep my 3 account active as the hero was a present and i dont intend to keep the contract going when the 24 months is up, the optimus kind of looks like the viewty with obviously more features.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest this phone sounds to good to be true to be honest, Can't wait until some detailed reviews come out
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not too good to be true, but it seems a tidy little phone which runs Android 2.1. I haven't had any issues with it yet.

Ask me something specific and I'll try and answer it if it helps
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After looking at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSDwgpdaDic it kinda reminds me on how my iPhone 3G ran on IOS4 a bit laggy and jittery, but it does look like a decent phone but I think the laggyness would annoy me.