Winter is God's way of wanting people to feel miserable?

floopy123floopy123 Posts: 6,003
Forum Member
If there is a God - big if, perhaps - but if there is what was he doing creating winter. It seems totally pointless, designed to make everything look or feel miserable. How can months of cold, rain, snow, short daylight hours make anyone feel happy? Do you wake up on days like this and say "wow, I sure love this time of the year!"

Er no. :rolleyes:

It's like God thought to himself "how can I make a certain period so shitty, people will be miserable all of the time? I know, I'll create winter."

Winter is one of the worst things in nature. There may be some universal reason for it - this side of the planet is further away from the Sun so it's colder - but accepting that, it's just a terrible idea. God must have been out of his mind thinking up winter. I can't think of one good thing about winter. Not one! Winter seems the product of a depressed or vindictive God!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,455
    Forum Member
    Can. of. worms.

Winter lovers will be all over this thread soon!
  • floopy123floopy123 Posts: 6,003
    Forum Member
    It's weather for people that want to do themselves in, that's what winter is.

This winter is dreadful. Like waking up on Planet Depressed each day!
  • Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its nature's way of giving the growing season a break and us gardeners some time off. I love it - Christmas, woolly blankets, log fire, mulled wine, so cold it's easy to hug someone and that's despite getting up at 6am and cycling 2 miles to our station in the freezing cold!

Mind, in January I'll be cursing it with you, the novelty will have gone by then :)
    Forum Member
    The only good thing about the winter is today is Dec 22 so the daylight hours get longer. But it's almost dark and it's only 4pm!
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    floopy123 wrote: »
    If there is a God - big if, perhaps - but if there is what was he doing creating winter. It seems totally pointless, designed to make everything look or feel miserable. How can months of cold, rain, snow, short daylight hours make anyone feel happy? Do you wake up on days like this and say "wow, I sure love this time of the year!"

It's like God thought to himself "how can I make a certain period so shitty, people will be miserable all of the time? I know, I'll create winter."

Winter is one of the worst things in nature. There may be some universal reason for it - this side of the planet is further away from the Sun so it's colder - but accepting that, it's just a terrible idea. God must have been out of his mind thinking up winter. I can't think of one good thing about winter. Not one! Winter seems the product of a depressed or vindictive God!
    I think the same of Summer. Why would anyone want it baking hot and have so much daylight you can't sleep?:p
    Forum Member
    Yeah, but with the summer you get more sunshine and that's supposed to lift your mood. SAD - seasonal affective disorder - is due to lack of light and it can make people feel depressed. I'd rather have hot summers than freezing dark by 4pm winters!

And in the summer people go out for walks, go to the park. Anyone fancy going to the park today?

NO, everyone shouts out.

:D

Winter is designed to make you feel miserable. Bleh.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, but with the summer you get more sunshine and that's supposed to lift your mood. SAD - seasonal affective disorder - is due to lack of light and it can make people feel depressed. I'd rather have hot summers than freezing dark by 4pm winters!

And in the summer people go out for walks, go to the park. Anyone fancy going to the park today?

NO, everyone shouts out.

:D

Winter is designed to make you feel miserable. Bleh.
    Yes but you can get reverse Seasonal Affective Disorder where people feel depressed in the Summer time. I don't think i would fancy going to the park when it is too hot either.
    My favourite season is Autumn where i actually like the sunshine unlike Summer where it can get too much.
  • dodgygeezadodgygeeza Posts: 6,350
    Forum Member
    No, it's just what happens for three months of the year when you live closer to the poles than you do to the equator on a planet with an inclined axis.
  • cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's weather for people that want to do themselves in, that's what winter is.

This winter is dreadful. Like waking up on Planet Depressed each day!

You're not wrong there, floopy :(
  • ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,165
    Forum Member
    I love the winter. I love the snow, the frost, the dark evenings and the lovely feeling when you see the snowdrops and know that spring is just around the corner. If we didn't have the winter we wouldn't appreciate the spring and the long days of summer. :)
  • MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emigrate to the Congo, problem solved.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Or, how about ..... it's to do with the atmosphere/temperatures? I think that's a more likely cause.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emigrate to the Congo, problem solved.

Yep! Nice warm weather every day :D
  • tongs ya basstongs ya bass Posts: 731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hating on a season?

get a grip
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do people think they should have things their way the whole time? Many of us love the winter. Why should we be deprived?
  • ĐironaĐirona Posts: 15,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    is life meant to be happy clappy and sunshine all the time then?
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    There is always Darwin in Australia. Temperatures are in the 20s and 30s all year round usually. California is another option.

Our winters, and how most of us feel about them, are just a sign that we are living way further north than humans should be.
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,833
    Forum Member
    Nope I don't blame. or thank, god for anything, besides I love having seasons. 365 of anything would get monotonous.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Richard46 wrote: »
    Nope I don't blame. or thank, god for anything, besides I love having seasons. 365 of anything would get monotonous.

A lot of Brits who move to places with less seasonal variation claim the weather here is the thing they miss most. Those people are weird.
  • tongs ya basstongs ya bass Posts: 731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have Australia as a holding tank for those who think a sunny climate is preferable. They are held for 3 years and then shipped back, tail between their legs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    A lot of Brits who move to places with less seasonal variation claim the weather here is the thing they miss most. Those people are weird.
    They are weird just because you don't agree with them?:rolleyes:
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    Give me summertime all the time! Winter is so dreary and miserable. People that enjoy winter must be VERY happy indeed!! It seems to last 8 months of the year. Us Summer fans only get 3 or 4 months if that!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Give me summertime all the time! Winter is so dreary and miserable. People that enjoy winter must be VERY happy indeed!! It seems to last 8 months of the year. Us Summer fans only get 3 or 4 months if that!

Which is why children are so happy and energetic?
  • varialectiovarialectio Posts: 2,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Winter (northern hemisphere) is God's way of stopping the penguins freezing!
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    The only good thing about winter is Christmas, other than that I hate it. I much prefer summer and the sun and long evenings. Plus I have more motivation in summer so I get more done and I find I study better in the summer. I didn't have much motivation to study for my Christmas exams :(