Doc Martin (Part 14 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    Yes, I think you're right. He is angry at himself and takes it out of that wonderful, moppy dog. But the dog still adores him. I wish I had been keeping count through the rewatch of the number of times DM says, "It's not my dog." I know he says it to Stuart MacKenzie in this episode and, I think, to Pauline in the previous ep, and to Elaine's father and his fiance in the previous series, and he'll continue to say it on through the Carrie Wilson episode in S3.

He also said it to Louisa near the end of this episode when she met him in the school hallway and told him she would never forgive him. Her last line to him before walking into the room to find out that she got the job was, "and now Peter tells me that the skin infection came from your bloody dog." He is taken aback a bit and doesn't respond immediately, but after she storms into the room he gives the now famous response - not nearly loud enough for her to possibly hear.

I think she really has thrown him for a loop with her fury during the interview and then her attack on him in the hallway. If you look at his face when she leaves him in the hallway and then when she comes in to see him after he finishes giving the injections, he looks like a little boy - kind of like the discussion we had recently about the Martin and the Dr Ellingham personas. His demeanor while giving the injections in between is completely different.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's interesting to read the comments on "In Loco" re: Richard Stoneman's Doc vs. that of Dominic Minghella, and to hear the majority of you say that this is not a favourite episode. I find that it ranks up there in my top five favourites, and that it is one I can keep going back and watching without any diminution of pleasure. I guess I just like the dynamic that is set up between the Doc and Peter, and I like the way the episode allows us to envision the fantasy where the Doc becomes a father. I don't really think that a child for the Doc and Louisa can have been planned this early in the series, but a character like Peter allows us to live out that fantasy without all the fancy plot maneovers it took to get us to that place in reality. We will also probably never get to see the Doc parenting James Henry as a 10 year old, which is a lot funnier, sweeter, and more interesting than seeing him parent an infant IMO. I love the "rats scrabbling through cottages" word picture, because it gives us a glimpse of another part of the Doc's intelligence. To fully imagine something like that draws upon humour and imagination, not just the forms of doctorly brilliance we regularly see in him.

Yes, Mrs. Cronk bugs me. Her asthma/panic attacks are annoying, mostly for the way it forces her son to be the adult in the household. Bert bugs me (he just does) and he gets a rather large part in the subplot of this episode. It also bugs me that the relationship between Peter and the Doc ends on such a low note (the Doc telling Peter that zoonosis generally afflicts children "because they're disgusting", and then with the Doc sadistically jabbing Peter with the penicillin). The conclusion seems to be that the strange, un-asked-for but interesting aspects of having a 10 year old house guest do not finally outweigh the annoyance of it, and the Doc is glad to get back to his uninterrupted life. I wish it had been the other way around. I also have a sense of lyrical disappointment in this episode when the Doc has that moment with Louisa in his kitchen but can't be unsuspicious, and lets his suspicion ruin it, because he lacks the confidence to believe that Louisa could be straightforwardly saying the "nice things" to him that she is saying. So in some ways this episode is bittersweet/thwarted/frustrated and frustrating (including that last scene where the Doc is standing on his porch, unable to take up Louisa's invitation to join her at her victory party), but at least there has been an experience (of fathering a 10 year old boy, of hearing how our two main characters judge one another: (M: "the best candidate by far," L: "I quite like the way you are") the transformative power of which can break through at another time.

Love your analysis, Poor Richard and Biffpup.

Still not one of my favourites but I can see it a bit better now. :)

However, just two episodes before DM started to apologise to Peter for something he said and was interupted. It was a different interaction between him and Peter. I thought that understanding between them might have spanned the two episodes (even though they were 2 years real time apart). There were some cute moments between the two in this episode but I think I would have preferred DM and Peter to have come to a bit better understanding.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This weekend try and watch sereis 2 episode 3
    "Blood is thicker".

Director: Ben Bolt
    Writer: Jack Lothian

Al discovers that Bert is not his natural father; Martin diagnoses food poisoning for a rural family with a mysterious unseen mother.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously you're in a solid position to make a call on this one. I suspect they were going for laughs and think it related to Mark's gullibility, just my opinion, but I certainly understand your point and respect your opinion, especially on this question. After all, you're a physician; I'm not.

That brings up another question. What do you think of DM, in S5 E3, calling Penhale from a waiting room full of people to report that Mrs. Dunwich has arsenic poisoning and he thinks the son might be trying to kill the mother? He behaves as if he's on the phone in his private consulting room, but he isn't, and you can see that the room is full of patients.

DM does this all the time. Right from the beginning when the Major and his wife were having problems. When he told Pauline about the headmaster's urine sample etc. It is part of the shows method of getting info to the viewer.

I really think you can't take it seriously, as it is a TV show and reality has to be put aside for good viewing/story building/continuity.

I think in this case it is a joke (one rare between guy things that DM rarely does) but I can see where you are both coming from.

My doctor does joke with me about certain things and I think dr/patient levity is sometimes a good thing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    marchrand wrote: »
    NewPark - it happened to me last evening while on here and it almost sounded like MC doing a Churchill commercial.:confused: but it faded in and out, then another commercial came through, then things I couldn't decipher. Then I thought:: it's bad enough with all these commercials that pop up on top of what you are reading or at the bottom of what you are viewing , but now they are invading the DS forum. I was waiting for it to happen to someone else here before my thoughts ran to: Can I be going bodmin?:eek:

When I dress up in the DM suit and sit in front of my computer, MC tells me how nice I look. Nothing odd about that, is there?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Conniej wrote: »

Interesting interview from a few years ago, I guess. Different in tone from most of his interviews. I was puzzled because he did not seem as interested, animated, engaged at first. Not trying very hard, which actually made it a little more interesting for me. Most of the conversation seemed like a private phone call - then we discover it was late night for him in Dorset. Perhaps he was wearing his nighttime t-shirt and sweats?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I dress up in the DM suit and sit in front of my computer, MC tells me how nice I look. Nothing odd about that, is there?

Not from my point if view! :D:cool::D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You and MC are not SHARING the suit are you ?

You wearing the jacket and he the trousers...?

Now there's a thought ...:rolleyes:
  • marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Isn't this interview with Janice Forsyth from Scotland? There was one she did with MC in April 2012, where he could get a little bawdy with her, and she could be a person who could feel good humor talking about it. As I remember she asked what area of doctoring he liked, he replied he liked the gynecological part, he even had his own stirrups!!! She is the best interviewer for him because she draws out of him his many other interests and the interview feels comfortable and easy flowing to the listener.
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He says DM was "desperate to get to London" but "stopped in his tracks" by the birth of the baby.

I guess in my own mind I had more or less thought that by the end of S4, even before the pub scene, he was having second thoughts about his move to London. Certainly he was sad about leaving Louisa. But still "desperate to get to London" up until the birth scene -- well, that may put a different light on how he acted in S5.

it could be that he was portraying a man who who deeply conflicted about what he wanted to do next -- stay with Louisa and his baby, with whom he has evidently fallen in love also, or go ahead with his move to London.

Obviously the first plan is to get them to go to London with him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blue-Eyes wrote: »
    You and MC are not SHARING the suit are you ?

You wearing the jacket and he the trousers...?

Now there's a thought ...:rolleyes:

Wow, Blue-Eyes, how did you know that my fantasy is to mutually occupy the suit with MC, then we enter the wheelbarrow race at Buckham Fair. :eek::rolleyes:;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, Blue-Eyes, how did you know that my fantasy is to mutually occupy the suit with MC, then we enter the wheelbarrow race at Buckham Fair. :eek::rolleyes:;)

You have me making up my own fantasies now...

And

I do NOT need any further encouragement :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    The powers that be at our local station that runs DM have decided (after running all of series 1 and one ep of series 2 to jump to series 4. So very, very annoying and new comers to the show will be completely confused. :(

I have just discovered that we're getting DM series 2 on Friday nights and DM series 4 on Saturday nights. A tad confusing but I am happy! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    He says DM was "desperate to get to London" but "stopped in his tracks" by the birth of the baby.

I guess in my own mind I had more or less thought that by the end of S4, even before the pub scene, he was having second thoughts about his move to London. Certainly he was sad about leaving Louisa. But still "desperate to get to London" up until the birth scene -- well, that may put a different light on how he acted in S5.

it could be that he was portraying a man who who deeply conflicted about what he wanted to do next -- stay with Louisa and his baby, with whom he has evidently fallen in love also, or go ahead with his move to London.

Desperate to get to London until the baby stopped him in his tracks.

I understand this was his intention at the beginning if s4 when he thought LG had gone forever but when she returned pregnant with his baby surely he'd have rethought it then?

But the baby's arrival didn't stop him in his tracks because for the whole of s 5 DM was still "desperate to get to London".

They sometimes seem to spin out a premise beyond its use by date. It appears s 6 is going to be another rehash of unsuccessful cohabitation. Maybe we'll have to stop analysing it and just enjoy the one liners and the scenery!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks, Connie. That was a good interview and I hadn't heard it.

They really went all over the place discussing MC's entire career, which was fun. When they got around to Doc Martin, I found it interesting that MC didn't describe him as "vile", instead he went further and called the character a "horrible, angry monster". Wow! He also said, "He's got to be unrelenting. You can't sort of dilute that kind of torture." There's so much "piffle" on TV and the Doc (the character or the show or both, not sure) says, "I'll have none of that." And, "His redemption is that he's such a good doctor." The interviewer, who was quite good, I thought, suggested that MC prefers characters who, underneath it all, do care, like William Shawcross and Martin Ellingham.

Very enjoyable and very interesting. Thanks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marchrand wrote: »
    Isn't this interview with Janice Forsyth from Scotland? There was one she did with MC in April 2012, where he could get a little bawdy with her, and she could be a person who could feel good humor talking about it. As I remember she asked what area of doctoring he liked, he replied he liked the gynecological part, he even had his own stirrups!!! She is the best interviewer for him because she draws out of him his many other interests and the interview feels comfortable and easy flowing to the listener.

No, this is a different interview on Radio New Zealand. I just listened to it. It's quite interesting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks for this link too, Connie. Another one I hadn't heard. That Matt fellow is pretty hyper, isn't he? I got the feeling about halfway through that MC was about to continue talking about Doc Martin but Matt starting chattering away (he talks fast!) and diverted him, saying, "No more spoilers".

Yes, MC did say the Doc is desperate to get back to London, desperate to get back to surgery, but the birth of the baby stops him in his tracks, followed by the death of Aunt Joan. I think this is a fairly general statement that we can't read too much into. If Matt had let him keep talking, he might have expanded on things, which MC seemed ready to do. I guess there was limited time and it was necessary to keep the conversation moving, but still...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree with you that DM was having second thoughts about London or at least the way in which is was going to happen. I don't think it all came crashing to a halt in one single flash at the pub. Yes, deeply conflicted, definitely. I think with the inability of DM and LG to actually have a decent conversation during S4 in which they might actually have spoken their true feelings, he let the wheels that were already in motion just keep going. He didn't make a move to stop or alter the progress of something that was already happening because he thought Louisa truly didn't want him in her life or the baby's life. In the meantime, LG didn't make a move, or admit that she wanted and needed him in her life because of her assumptions about Edith and DM.

And then came S5 when they both seemed to enter a state of suspended animation, neither able to express their feelings (again!) or wishes what with everything appearing to be temporary. S5 is still so confusing.
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, Connie. That was a good interview and I hadn't heard it.

They really went all over the place discussing MC's entire career, which was fun. When they got around to Doc Martin, I found it interesting that MC didn't describe him as "vile", instead he went further and called the character a "horrible, angry monster". Wow! He also said, "He's got to be unrelenting. You can't sort of dilute that kind of torture." There's so much "piffle" on TV and the Doc (the character or the show or both, not sure) says, "I'll have none of that." And, "His redemption is that he's such a good doctor." The interviewer, who was quite good, I thought, suggested that MC prefers characters who, underneath it all, do care, like William Shawcross and Martin Ellingham.

Very enjoyable and very interesting. Thanks.

Where in the series does this interview come? I'd be interested to know how early it is, in view of our recent speculation that possibly MC's own evaluation of DM changed as they developed a back story for him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where in the series does this interview come? I'd be interested to know how early it is, in view of our recent speculation that possibly MC's own evaluation of DM changed as they developed a back story for him.

Good question. They discussed his dog documentary and he mentioned that he had completed Island of Britain and was making plans for the upcoming documentary about horses. He mentioned Reggie Perrin, but apparently this was before it first aired. 2008 maybe?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 366
    Forum Member
    I've been thinking about Martin Clune's remark that cohabitation in Series 6 has "disaster written all over it."

I may not have the exact quote, but the concern, mine included, has been that it will be a retread of the disasterous cohabitation of Series 5.

And then, maybe being too optimistic, that he might be setting up some humorous "disasters" about living together. Remember the first day after JH's birth and Louisa puts her coffee cup in the refrigerator and the milk bottle on the table? Or DM in the car in his pajamas with the sleeping baby?

I'd settle for some disaster if it were skewed toward humor -- at his expense?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bookfan2 wrote: »
    I've been thinking about Martin Clune's remark that cohabitation in Series 6 has "disaster written all over it."

I may not have the exact quote, but the concern, mine included, has been that it will be a retread of the disasterous cohabitation of Series 5.

And then, maybe being too optimistic, that he might be setting up some humorous "disasters" about living together. Remember the first day after JH's birth and Louisa puts her coffee cup in the refrigerator and the milk bottle on the table? Or DM in the car in his pajamas with the sleeping baby?

I'd settle for some disaster if it were skewed toward humor -- at his expense?

A friend years back said "Boy the things you find out when you live with someone!"

Take that and add Doc Martin, Louisa, and the enchanted kingdom of Portwenn. :)
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously you're in a solid position to make a call on this one. I suspect they were going for laughs and think it related to Mark's gullibility, just my opinion, but I certainly understand your point and respect your opinion, especially on this question. After all, you're a physician; I'm not.

That brings up another question. What do you think of DM, in S5 E3, calling Penhale from a waiting room full of people to report that Mrs. Dunwich has arsenic poisoning and he thinks the son might be trying to kill the mother? He behaves as if he's on the phone in his private consulting room, but he isn't, and you can see that the room is full of patients.

Well, yeah, that's not what we call HIPAA approved conversation about a patient. :)
This discussion has been closed.