Options

M25 advice

belombbelomb Posts: 3,280
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Allo! I have to drive to Braintree on Friday afternoon/evening from Wiltshire. I know the M25 can be a nightmare at rush hour. Googling is offering a VERY varied range of advice!

What time is the best time to leave Wilts to avoid too much traffic? I can leave any time from 4pm and ideally I'd like to get to Braintree before midnight.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    belomb wrote: »
    Allo! I have to drive to Braintree on Friday afternoon/evening from Wiltshire. I know the M25 can be a nightmare at rush hour. Googling is offering a VERY varied range of advice!

What time is the best time to leave Wilts to avoid too much traffic? I can leave any time from 4pm and ideally I'd like to get to Braintree before midnight.

Leave at 4pm. I'm fairly sure you'll make it by midnight. :confused:
  • Options
    radiodadradiodad Posts: 2,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best thing would be to leave it later, if you leave at say 7:30 - 8pm you should be there by midnight fine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shhftw wrote: »
    Leave at 4pm. I'm fairly sure you'll make it by midnight. :confused:

Yep, after sitting for 5 hours in a traffic jam! I'd rather stay at home, leave later and have smooth driving.

Thanks for that, Radiodad....that's sort of the time I was thinking, really. :)
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My sister gets from Basildon to Swindon (or vice versa) in about 3 hours.
  • Options
    radiodadradiodad Posts: 2,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »
    My sister gets from Basildon to Swindon (or vice versa) in about 3 hours.

That sounds about right, you could leave it later but if you want to be sure to get there for Midnight then 7.30 to 8 is a good time to leave.
    belomb wrote: »
    Yep, after sitting for 5 hours in a traffic jam! I'd rather stay at home, leave later and have smooth driving.

Thanks for that, Radiodad....that's sort of the time I was thinking, really. :)

After around 7PM the traffic will calm a lot, by the time you hit the M25 it will be pretty quiet. Just give a check on BBC Travel for any accidents before you leave as obviously if theres been a large smash it may take you longer.
  • Options
    scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wondering why I always get a feeling of guilt when I read threads about travelling and hold ups on the M25 :(

Maybe it's because I was involved in helping to build it. :D
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wondering why I always get a feeling of guilt when I read threads about travelling and hold ups on the M25 :(

Maybe it's because I was involved in helping to build it. :D

Why did you build too many junctions and too few services? It would be OK if it had been designed as a motorway instead of a ring road.
  • Options
    CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't panic about it. You're not rushing for a meeting, so if you hit a bit of traffic turn the radio up. I think the M25 has a bad reputation because it does get congested but then people hear about this who are infrequent users and it gets escalated out of belief. In reality the direction you're travelling and the time of day you're going will make your journey pretty easy.

If I were you I would set out around 5pm, you'll be hitting the 25 around 6pm I would imagine from Wiltshire, I reckon it will take about another hour and a half to two hours to get to Braintree from getting on the M25.

Useful tip - go on google maps, enter your town as the start place, press get directions, enter Braintree as your destination, then it will tell you projected times under current traffic conditions. Try at 4pm tonight, then around 5pm and 6pm. That gives you a rough indicator.
  • Options
    Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would not leave at 6:30pm, then hopefully some of the traffic might have died down by the time you hit the M25.

Also take a look at the traffic before you leave to make sure that there are no closures on the motorways (you could then go round the bottom of the M25 if the top is closed).
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've often travelled from Heathrow round to A127 on Friday evening and traffic tends to drop off after 7pm, but even before that it should be flowing. The main difference is that traffic tends to start to build earlier, around 2pm onwards. There are no roadworks on the section you will be using and its now mostly 4 lanes except from A1 to M11.

You have two options in the essex section, either M11/A120 or M25 to A12.

It tens to get sticky going on the A12, especially around Chelmsford to Braintree between 5pm and 7pm. So I would suggest M11/A120. The A120 is now dual carriageway all the way from M11 to Braintree and it rarely gets that busy.

As somebody suggested leaving around 5:30 to 6pm and aim to be on M25 around 6:30 to 7pm, most of the traffic will be heading from M25 to south west so it should be pretty clear heading the other way. But I really would not get too worried about it. If you want to stop then there are services at South Mims (J23 A1).
  • Options
    scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    Why did you build too many junctions and too few services? It would be OK if it had been designed as a motorway instead of a ring road.

From an M25 builders point of view...Where there was a pub in went a junction, who needs service areas when there's a pub on every junction. :p:D:D

And YES we were sober when we were working on it..........sometimes. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks heaps for all the advice. :) Think I'll leave between half six and seven. :)