Options

Viva Forever! has already made almost $5 Million - before even opening...

Comments

• Options
    gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    one star review from time out.:o an interesting read though, but the storyline does sound dreadful.:eek:

http://www.timeout.com/london/theatre/event/268828/viva-forever
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    gpk wrote: »
    students will not flock to see viva forever.:o some casual fans may have already bought tickets, but i cant see this show finding a long term audience now.

I did not post to encourage students to see Viva Forever - I was merely trying to raise awareness of different outlets where students can go to purchase ANY type of theatre tickets.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did not post to encourage students to see Viva Forever - I was merely trying to raise awareness of different outlets where students can go to purchase ANY type of theatre tickets.

which just happened to be in the viva forever thread. how selfless of you.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This will probably be one of those "hen party" shows. Unless it does a wwry and defies the critics and brings in the audiences, I give it a year, MAYBE two.

I love the spice girls and will go and see it, probably ill wait until sales slow and I can get cheapies :D If its not very good, I don't think it'll manage to pull in the crowds regardless like wwry does.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pie Chart wrote: »
    This will probably be one of those "hen party" shows. Unless it does a wwry and defies the critics and brings in the audiences, I give it a year, MAYBE two.

I love the spice girls and will go and see it, probably ill wait until sales slow and I can get cheapies :D If its not very good, I don't think it'll manage to pull in the crowds regardless like wwry does.

yeah, you're right, the reviews for wwry were not impressive either. the thing is though, with queen/abba, they had large back catalogues with countless hits to appeal to the masses, so the story wouldn't matter so much. it was very ambitious to try this formula with the spice girls modest catalogue, so the story really needed to deliver.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    which just happened to be in the viva forever thread. how selfless of you.:D

I'm selfless to the core don't you know ;)
  • Options
    So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In regards to people complaining about the girls not having enough memorable songs, and seeing in reviews that they have had to use album tracks aswell, my question is having never been to musical, is ten Top 2 hits (nine of them #1's and seven of them Platinum) really not enough to fill a two hour show?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm selfless to the core don't you know ;)

of course.

also, on the point about appealing to hen parties, which i missed in my last reply. mamma mia already appeals to that market, remarkable after all this time. it will be interesting to see if this does find an audience after initial sales.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So 3008 wrote: »
    In regards to people complaining about the girls not having enough memorable songs, and seeing in reviews that they have had to use album tracks aswell, my question is having never been to musical, is ten Top 2 hits (nine of them #1's and seven of them Platinum) really not enough to fill a two hour show?

apparently, they used `headlines` three times.:o that says a lot.
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bet kenny needs a lie down after these scathing reviews :D

:D:D;)
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    apparently, they used `headlines` three times.:o that says a lot.

That is horrifying:o
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "I'll tell you what I wanted, what I really, really wanted – I wanted this terrible show to stop.''
  • Options
    robo2robo2 Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So 3008 wrote: »

the problem that the spice girls have is that outside of 2 become 1 , viva forever, who do you think you are and wannabe - they dont have any half decent songs, even the last 2 out of the 4 i mentioned are not very good, picking out the great songs in mama mia you get 15 or so classics, with the spice girls you get four half decent pop songs and the rest are fairly mediocre

which songs compare to the ones in mama mia?

money money money
    mama mia
    thank you for the music
    dancing queen
    lay all your love on me
    super trooper
    gimmie gimmie ( a man after midngiht)
    name of the game
    volez vous
    sos
    does your mother know
    knowing me knowing you
    take a chance on me
    the winner takes it all
    waterloo
  • Options
    tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KieranDS wrote: »
    "I'll tell you what I wanted, what I really, really wanted – I wanted this terrible show to stop.''

That was classic! :D

I don't usually listen/follow critics but some of these one liners had me howling :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This musical will bomb . .
    I imagine most people want it to bomb as well . .
    The Spice Girls songs aren't strong enough for a musical, they only had about 4 decent songs, whereas Abba, Queen have plenty more to sustain a musical.
    I liked the Spicers when they came out, but I don't wanna hear their records now, they're sh*t, fine at the time but not now, the songs don't wear well . .
    The girls are all irritating, I wish they'd just f*ck off forever instead of viva forever !
    The Spice Girls are just fame hungry **** masquerading under a banner of girl power, girl power my *ss . .
    Give Mel B, Mel C, Geri, Sporty & Posh your money, that's what girl power is !
    No thanks girls . .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oh dear, the mirror review is in,:o

`There is more female empowerment at a Taliban finishing school than in this show.`:o

that review details some shocking interpretations of the songs to fit the story.:sleep:
  • Options
    wonderwall2012wonderwall2012 Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    There are rumours they are going to reunite without Victoria for another tour and possibly a new album! you think it could work? it did for Take That.
  • Options
    kieranyeah123kieranyeah123 Posts: 1,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are rumours they are going to reunite without Victoria for another tour and possibly a new album! you think it could work? it did for Take That.

I think it could work but not on a scale of the last comeback. They sold out 17 shows at the O2 last time around, so to put it in that way they could sell out probably 1 or 2 shows there so although successful it'd be nowhere near if it was the 5.
  • Options
    TYCOTYCO Posts: 5,891
    Forum Member
    robo2 wrote: »
    the problem that the spice girls have is that outside of 2 become 1 , viva forever, who do you think you are and wannabe - they dont have any half decent songs,

Clearly, to anyone with half a brain, if you only like 4 of the spice girls songs then this musical is not for you. How could you not mention Who do you think you are or Spice up your life? Any fan of the Spice Girls would rate those two in their top 5.

I'm more interested to hear what Spice Girls fans think of the show, rather than hearing negative comments from people who already don't even like the Spice Girls, which is what the Spice Girls have had to put up with, no, overcome, conquer since the day they came onto the scene. They're still here today and so are the fans who would never say they only have 4 good songs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hootie wrote: »
    The Spice Girls are just fame hungry **** masquerading under a banner of girl power, girl power my *ss

Someone selling something. Human wants money. Quelle Surprise!

It's their job to make as much money as possible, just as everyone else in the entire world is trying to do. Don't get jealous just because they've achieved it and you haven't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kenny12 wrote: »
    Okay so we have the open dress rehearsal tonight ahead of tomorrow's previews!

I can't give too much away but for those interested,

Programme: Songs included (Not running order).

The gorgeous programme cover!

intense!

So yes, after tonight's dress, previews begin tomorrow night and the Official star studded, Five-Spice Premiere is December 11th.... watch out for that one! Things are going to get major.
    Have you ever considered you may be bordering on the obsessive? I'm a bit worried for you.
  • Options
    Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TYCO wrote: »
    Clearly, to anyone with half a brain, if you only like 4 of the spice girls songs then this musical is not for you. How could you not mention Who do you think you are or Spice up your life? Any fan of the Spice Girls would rate those two in their top 5.

I'm more interested to hear what Spice Girls fans think of the show, rather than hearing negative comments from people who already don't even like the Spice Girls, which is what the Spice Girls have had to put up with, no, overcome, conquer since the day they came onto the scene. They're still here today and so are the fans who would never say they only have 4 good songs.

yes - but a musical needs to do more than appeal to just superfans of the Spice Girls - as there arent enough of them to sustain it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

i think you will find they did mention that song.:o

I am not interested in the biased opinions from the spice girls fans, i would rather an objective view. especially, when their fans throw around childish accusations like jealously for instance.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    robo2robo2 Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

the spice girls are still here today? i must have imagined them failing in 1999 and their abortion of a comeback. the spice girls were a phenomenon for about three years however this was style over substance built on mediocre songs that have not stood the test of time and the conceptual sub feminist gibberish of girl power - a meaningless plagarised pile of gibberish
  • Options
    kenny12kenny12 Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jennifer Saunders Hits Back At Spice Girls Musical Viva Forver! Critics: 'They're Middle Aged Men!'
    Comedienne slams writers of negative reviews

Jennifer Saunders has hit back at critics who gave Spice Girls musical Viva Forever! negative reviews branding them “middle-aged men”.

The comedienne, who wrote the script for the production, found herself reading scathing reviews when it launched in December but says the show has received positive feedback from audiences and she and creator Judy Cramyer hope to open it on New York’s Broadway.

"So the critics - five middle-aged men - didn't like it. If you send your dad to see Viva Forever! on his own, then of course he's going to hate it. It was no surprise," Jen insisted to the London Evening Standard.

Producer Judy added: “We want to get it out to Broadway – that’s the plan. There are talks in progress. Japan and Asia also want it.

“We just want to make sure we have the product right in London first. The critics were always going to give us a hard time, but the truth is it’s sold out until June. Feedback from audiences has been amazing. Spice Girls fans are loving every minute.

“Yes, it’s been hard – but just like any show is hard to start from scratch and launch on the West End.”

Entertainmentwise