Can Lawson crack America?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 139
Forum Member
Lawson are one the most popular bands in the UK at the moment. Do you think that they can crack America? They have a few songs that would sound great on radio there, like "Brokenhearted" with B.o.B. What do you think?

Comments

• MicknsivMicknsiv Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    Well seeing as they're pretty much one of the worst bands I've ever heard, I'd say not a chance in hell. I may be wrong, seeing as the Americans don't know their arse from their elbow when it comes to music taste, but I highly doubt it. But if Mumford and Sons can do it then anyone can I guess.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    Micknsiv wrote: »
    Well seeing as they're pretty much one of the worst bands I've ever heard, I'd say not a chance in hell. I may be wrong, seeing as the Americans don't know their arse from their elbow when it comes to music taste, but I highly doubt it. But if Mumford and Sons can do it then anyone can I guess.

That (the bold) was unkind. Anyways I absolutely think they can experience success if they can get radio to play their song. At the end of the day that is what's going to help them build a fanbase (ie. Maroon 5, OneRepublic & most recently Imagine Dragons) Andy Brown is such a great singer & song writer. He has potential to become the next Adam Levine in my humble opinion.
  • SexSex Posts: 44,161
    Forum Member
    If they promoted Brocken hearted over there I think it would have done well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. They are crap.
  • musicjukebox123musicjukebox123 Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No way they aren't really a big band in the UK when you scratch beneath the surface they chart high and free fall with fairly low sales overall, like what McFly were notorious for doing for a long while.

These bands need to get a proper fanbase in the UK first then expand in Europe before going for the top US dollar, it smacks of naivety/greed. There is no hype from fans in different continents behind them and their songs alone certainly aren't strong enough to get them noticed. Surely being a Worldwide success is better than average to flopping in ONE country.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maria Lawson? Is she back?!!
    Forum Member
    Jevito416 wrote: »
    That (the bold) was unkind. Anyways I absolutely think they can experience success if they can get radio to play their song. At the end of the day that is what's going to help them build a fanbase (ie. Maroon 5, OneRepublic & most recently Imagine Dragons) Andy Brown is such a great singer & song writer. He has potential to become the next Adam Levine in my humble opinion.

I've seen Andy Brown on a few tv shows and he seems like a decent guy but to call him a great singer and songwriter may be pushing it just a tad. I put Lawson in the same category as the likes of Scouting for Girls and please don't get me started on that mob. If people like them though then who am I to judge!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    Micknsiv wrote: »
    I've seen Andy Brown on a few tv shows and he seems like a decent guy but to call him a great singer and songwriter may be pushing it just a tad. I put Lawson in the same category as the likes of Scouting for Girls and please don't get me started on that mob. If people like them though then who am I to judge!

I got to see them live in Toronto & I was genuinely surprised at how good Andy sounded live. Well maybe you're right but "Standing in the Dark" is such a great song though lol.
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They do sound like an American band but unfortunately for them, one that was popular in the 90s and most likely singing on Dawson's Creek.
  • umr3000umr3000 Posts: 1,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lawson are a great band and definitely have what it takes to break the US market, I think album number 2 should be a worldwide release.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    No way they aren't really a big band in the UK when you scratch beneath the surface they chart high and free fall with fairly low sales overall, like what McFly were notorious for doing for a long while.

These bands need to get a proper fanbase in the UK first then expand in Europe before going for the top US dollar, it smacks of naivety/greed. There is no hype from fans in different continents behind them and their songs alone certainly aren't strong enough to get them noticed. Surely being a Worldwide success is better than average to flopping in ONE country.

Lawson may not have the Boy Band-esque fanbase of 1D, but they have proven to be a popular act in the UK with five top 10 hits to their name. "Brokenhearted" is a catchy pop-rock song that I think will be a perfect fit to US pop radio. They should first focus on getting a hit single in the US rather than pushing themselves to a fanbase.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Learn to Love Again was brilliant and a bit of an anthem. I reckon they could do well as rock tinged boybands like One D and The Vamps are doing well whereas dancey ones such as JLS and Wanted are over.

They should try to crack Oz before US.
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tekken_Guy wrote: »
    Lawson may not have the Boy Band-esque fanbase of 1D, but they have proven to be a popular act in the UK with five top 10 hits to their name. "Brokenhearted" is a catchy pop-rock song that I think will be a perfect fit to US pop radio. They should first focus on getting a hit single in the US rather than pushing themselves to a fanbase.

But surely they need fans to build up momentum. If it wasn't for the fans 1D would never have got radio play
  • AmazingAmazing Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They struggle to sell albums in the UK never mind the US.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    The only reason they have any form of succes in the UK is because of Capitol FM without them they would be nothing
  • gettygetty Posts: 3,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't see it happening really, they don't even do all that well over here sales wise.
    Forum Member
    Hutchy258 wrote: »
    The only reason they have any form of succes in the UK is because of Capitol FM without them they would be nothing

This isn't far wrong. To put it simply, they don't have the songs or the fan base to crack America. Many bigger and better bands have tried and failed. But you never know, their next album might be choc full of outstanding songs and that might lead to bigger things in the States. I very, very much doubt it though.
    Forum Member
    twingle wrote: »
    But surely they need fans to build up momentum. If it wasn't for the fans 1D would never have got radio play

The Wanted were able to score a top 10 hit, despite having little to no American fan base.
  • kutoxkutox Posts: 16,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who is Lawson?
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tekken_Guy wrote: »
    The Wanted were able to score a top 10 hit, despite having little to no American fan base.

BUT they were managed by Beiber's manager and wouldn't surprise me if it was a case of if you want Beiber on your show you have to have these guys. They got some huge gigs when they first went out there so in reality it isn't surprising they did well in the beginning
  • pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,098
    Forum Member
    Honestly Im not a huge fan of them, but I've liked every single, wasn't too keen on Brokenhearted, but the other 5 were pretty good
    Forum Member
    twingle wrote: »
    BUT they were managed by Beiber's manager and wouldn't surprise me if it was a case of if you want Beiber on your show you have to have these guys. They got some huge gigs when they first went out there so in reality it isn't surprising they did well in the beginning

Sometimes, you need to break out the song rather than the artist. "Brokenhearted" is a catchy pop-rock song that I want to see become a big hit in the U.S. this Spring. Universal shouldn't try to push Lawson into becoming a 1D-level phenomenon; that would fail spectacularly. They should focus pushing the single rather than on Lawson themselves. And, if "Brokenhearted" clicks with the U.S. audience, then you can move on to "Juliet."
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With good promotion and a good amount of air play then it is possible.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Well I sure hope Lawson will eventually crack North America (they have to visit Ottawa!), they're one of my favourite bands and I am absolutely in love with Broken Hearted, it is such a catchy pop song!