Spice Girls Announcement Soon..

Comments

• RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol. A tour will probably sell, but then in Kenny's words, they went to where the money was on the last tour so whoever got Geri's uber successful last single to #280odd in Australia better get their friends buying tickets lol.

It's all falling into place...
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,980
    Forum Member
    RikScot wrote: »
    It's all falling into place...

Lol. I don't think they would sell tickets in the US anymore, they might be able to do Canada. Australian fans might be a bit peeved they cancelled all of their last dates. A tour without Victoria, who I know didn't sing much, is useless. For me, the whole thing about SG was the five of them together, it didn't feel right without Geri the first time around.

The Olympics was a perfect way to end their journey as a group, and the sight of Vicky B being flung around on the top of a glittery cab looking terrified will always be one of my favourite moments, but I think the Spice Girls ship sailed a long time ago.

Of course, they could pull a Take That and sell out stadiums and release 2m + selling albums for the next six years, who knows, but let's not being up the Barlow :p
  • RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,234
    Forum Member
    i hope the announcement is a big public apology and a tour of city centers where the public is allowed to throw rotten fruit and veg at them.

wannabe is one of the worst songs ever recorded,still can't understand how the public lapped it up like they did.
    i always thought they looked absolutely ridicules being in their early twenties/late teens dancing around and miming to such a childish written song,i can remember when they would appear on Saturday kids show and little kids would ring them up and ask them what a zigzag r is and they would say with a complete serous face "that it is whatever you want it to be",i mean come on what a complete load of bullshit

you may hate it, but it was successful because it was unique and sounded nothing else before it. It also co-coincided (some would stay kickstarted) the laddette trend, just a year or two before you wouldn't have seen a group of girls shouting/singing like that.

yes it is annoying as hell, but its still one of those songs where I can still remember the first time I heard it (on TOTP, they performed 'live' from Tokyo which again was pretty unique for TOTP at the time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope it isn't a come back. the Spice Girls magic can't be recreated (especially with only four of them). It was a whirlwind and the Olympics was an amazing way to say goodbye.

As Mutya Keisha and Siobhan have learnt, leave things in the past (Mutya Keisha Heidi as the Sugababes may have stirred a little bit more excitement)
  • Gail forceGail force Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    Four or five 40 somethings spicegirls singing about best friends and girl power? I dont think so.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,980
    Forum Member
    I hope it isn't a come back. the Spice Girls magic can't be recreated (especially with only four of them). It was a whirlwind and the Olympics was an amazing way to say goodbye.

As Mutya Keisha and Siobhan have learnt, leave things in the past (Mutya Keisha Heidi as the Sugababes may have stirred a little bit more excitement)

I think the difference there is the Spice Girls were successful so I understand why they think they could do it again.

MKS probably saw everybody raving about the original line-up and though everyone raving would buy an album.

As you say, sometimes it's just best to leave things in the past.
  • Thomas_SThomas_S Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    Oh no!

They've had their time really, and women nearly in their 40's shouldn't be called "Girls" it's a bit sad and desperate

Just like the Backstreet "Boys" shouldn't be called Boys

Maybe both bands could call themselves just "Backstreet" and "Spice"?
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Thomas_S wrote: »
    Oh no!

They've had their time really, and women nearly in their 40's shouldn't be called "Girls" it's a bit sad and desperate

Just like the Backstreet "Boys" shouldn't be called Boys

Maybe both bands could call themselves just "Backstreet" and "Spice"?

Or how about Backstreet Men and Spice Women? :D
  • Thomas_SThomas_S Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    Or Backstreet Girls & Spice Boys / Boyz

LMAO but stranger things have happened I suppose
  • Steve_HarrimanSteve_Harriman Posts: 1,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was a huge fan of them in the 90's . Saw them twice in concert and got all the singles and albums etc etc. Forever was a brilliant album which was wasted by the girls half ass promotion . The last tour was a joke and nothing more then just a money milking project. I lost interest in them after this . If this is another tour then no one will care and it will flop. They need a proper comeback with new music and for them to give a damn about the fans, They could still have some success with the right music. However I have said all along that the girls have always knew what they are doing . And I think all this was planned and laid out by them when they first started, They are very clever girls and have a very good business plan in place I think.
  • AchtungAchtung Posts: 10,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did they not say at the time they had no useable footage from the tour and wouldn't get released because it was all crap?

Their greatest hits got released.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    They need to let it go! It's not 1994, it's 2014, they won't get any Airplay if they release a new single, didn't the single they released during there half arsed "world tour" flop?

Also, reforming without Victoria just makes them look desperate, when they bang on about the Spice Girls being about "the five of them"

They need to leave it in the past, they have a good legacy, why change that and turn it into a joke?
  • BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pow wow wrote: »
    They need to let it go! It's not 1994, it's 2014, they won't get any Airplay if they release a new single, didn't the single they released during there half arsed "world tour" flop?

Also, reforming without Victoria just makes them look desperate, when they bang on about the Spice Girls being about "the five of them"

They need to leave it in the past, they have a good legacy, why change that and turn it into a joke?

Spice mania began in 1996 not 94, but I do agree on them letting it go
  • NeonopticNeonoptic Posts: 583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're not the first and they won't be the last pop group to reform. We're not talking Atomic Kitten here, say what you like but Spice Girls are classed in the pop legends category - they're the biggest selling girl group worldwide in history for christ sake. If they want to do it (even as a four piece), so what? They have a fond place in many a peoples heart nowadays - perhaps even more than the 90's.
  • spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So where is this announcement then?!

If they are reforming I don't know if it'd feel right with just 4 of them. When Geri left first time around it was never the same. Still, we shall see!
  • Mark-AnthonyMark-Anthony Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Guess its none existent. Yawn.
  • Johnny_CashJohnny_Cash Posts: 2,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Vegas residency would suit them, still popular with 30 something females in the states, a vegas residency would definitely work for them, would be a money maker.
    Forum Member
    A Vegas residency would suit them, still popular with 30 something females in the states, a vegas residency would definitely work for them, would be a money maker.

Dont think they are relevant anymore in the states. None of them can sing live. It would be an embarrassment.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

Well Britney Spears is doing her Vegas residency and it seems to be doing well. I read over on Exhale (Britney fan site) that the residency shows have been selling out. Maybe it could work for the Spice Girls then.
  • FluxCapacitorFluxCapacitor Posts: 1,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gail force wrote: »
    Dont think they are relevant anymore in the states. None of them can sing live. It would be an embarrassment.

But they can. They did it every night on their last tour together and were fine. Granted they're not the best singers in the world, but then their songs don't need the best singers in the world.
  • Johnny_CashJohnny_Cash Posts: 2,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I disagree, I think they are very relevant to a certain age group, they are associated with a period in peoples lives and people crave nostalgia. The most successful residencies are the artists with a strong catalogue and a greatest hits set from the spice girls would definitely work. I would be tempted to say that a great fit for them would be planet hollywood when Britneys residency ends, the other hotels are either to high level or too low level, or dont lend themselves to residencies.
  • David MillsDavid Mills Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw their last tour and I have a mp3 album of a live show that was broadcast on Radio and I've listened to it a few times, I remembered they were good on the night, it was one of the best concerts I went to - but having the album confirms to me they can and did definitely sing live.

Their harmonies were very close to the original songs & they went from one song straight into the next & had ad-libs. Especially good was Mama with a choir.

I find it hard not to resent the opinion that they can't sing or sing live and I and people like me are somehow being conned, I didn't go to their shows expecting the best singers in the World, just catchy, easy pop songs. I expect most people who buy tickets want exactly the same thing as the songs are so well heard they know what they're going to get.
    Forum Member
    I disagree, I think they are very relevant to a certain age group, they are associated with a period in peoples lives and people crave nostalgia. The most successful residencies are the artists with a strong catalogue and a greatest hits set from the spice girls would definitely work. I would be tempted to say that a great fit for them would be planet hollywood when Britneys residency ends, the other hotels are either to high level or too low level, or dont lend themselves to residencies.

To make it in Vegas they would have to have new material. We know that aint going to happen. They cant in their forties still get away with singing wannabe and about rainbows,butterflies and best friends forever. Is baby spice going to have pigtails and ginger union jack shorts? lol.
  • chrisqcchrisqc Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theres no need for new material in Vegas

I go there on vacation every year all that town wants is greatest hits show

Saw britney on my last trip she only plays 2 song from her latest, Saw shania for the second time no new songs at all
  • FluxCapacitorFluxCapacitor Posts: 1,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To make it in Vegas they would have to have new material. We know that aint going to happen. They cant in their forties still get away with singing wannabe and about rainbows,butterflies and best friends forever. Is baby spice going to have pigtails and ginger union jack shorts? lol.

No one needs new material in Vegas! I saw Cher there a few years back and she did all her hits, and then did a new song where you felt the audience get a bit bored. Then the old stuff came out again and the place went crazy.

It's true about most nostalgic pop bands or artists touring too - the audience isn't there to hear new music. They're there to sing along an hear songs they know and love.